Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We're the same. We're doing this to hopefully benefit the CFL. But the 2 games are very different.  Maybe there are revenue opportunities for the CFL in Europe. I just don't know how or what they are so I'm skeptical. I doubt Ambrosie knows this either which is why this isn't exciting for me as of yet. We know the CFL will be second fiddle over there. That the style of game & rules won't be suddenly embraced.  They should play some exhibition games over there to introduce Euros to our game in person.  So fans can see just how wide open the CFL can be.

Thumbs up to this

Now have never seen a game from any of these leagues, but am picturing semi pro level or worse- there will be some talent and skill, but not a ton

So now assuming we're not seeing high end skill with top coaching ,  the cfl game and rules would be far more entertaining than 4 down rules , 

46 minutes ago, Guestingreen said:

Thumbs up to this

Now have never seen a game from any of these leagues, but am picturing semi pro level or worse- there will be some talent and skill, but not a ton

So now assuming we're not seeing high end skill with top coaching ,  the cfl game and rules would be far more entertaining than 4 down rules , 

These leagues have produced guys who have played been drafted in NFL. Also just had a QB sign with AAF https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/former-vienna-vikings-qb-new-starter-for-memphis-express-of-alliance-of-american-football/

Ambrose addressed the rules and 3 vs 4 down game, and one interesting point he made was that the European leagues play their games in soccer stadiums on soccer fields, so they are already playing the game on a CFL sized field (the width is the same for both sports). Ambrosia wants to highlight the speed of the CFL game and uses the field size as a w at to exploit the speed. He talked a good game at the event, we shall see what if anything comes of it, but I like the idea that we need to think bigger than “we are a boutique league that is a stepping stone to the NFL” 

I would think that all contracts fall under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and since there is no agreement, there can be no breach. Contracts still have to be registered. There is no way the League, and its’teams, will backtrack on these bonuses.

As has been mentioned, if something went wrong in the CFL this year, and bonuses were paid, who would pay back these bonuses?

Ask Durant who would..

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Ambrose addressed the rules and 3 vs 4 down game, and one interesting point he made was that the European leagues play their games in soccer stadiums on soccer fields, so they are already playing the game on a CFL sized field (the width is the same for both sports). Ambrosia wants to highlight the speed of the CFL game and uses the field size as a w at to exploit the speed. He talked a good game at the event, we shall see what if anything comes of it, but I like the idea that we need to think bigger than “we are a boutique league that is a stepping stone to the NFL” 

I would imagine not a whole lot will come of it unless they create a new ratio for players who come from outside North America.  If that happens then I could see there being the potential to grow a television market overseas and in Mexico. 

4 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

We are a boutique league because we pay our players like they are retail sales clerks in a mall. Some random Canadian is making minimum salary& Ambrosie takes away his off season bonus he's owed. Yet the collective agreement hasn't expired. Before our Commish starts talking trash he should look in a mirror. 

53 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We are a boutique league because we pay our players like they are retail sales clerks in a mall. Some random Canadian is making minimum salary& Ambrosie takes away his off season bonus he's owed. Yet the collective agreement hasn't expired. Before our Commish starts talking trash he should look in a mirror. 

Name me one retail sales clerk in a mall who makes $96000. That's the average CFL salary based on a $5.2 million salary cap and average roster size of 56 players. In fact, name me a sales clerk who makes $54,000/yr (CFL minimum). That would require an hourly wage of around $23, or double minimum wage. I get we are nowhere near as big as the NFL, but it doesn't mean we have to act like a second class league entertainment-wise. That is the mentality of the Commish anyway, according to his speech. Don't have to believe him, but he was a member of the CFLPA in his playing days, so when he says he is aware of the player's best interests I think he has a better frame of reference than most.

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That same random Canadian kid (and every kid thereafter) could also be looking at a 14k/season pay raise if Ambrosie gets his way. It is Ambrosie suggesting the minimum salary be raised, isn't it?

Edited by MOBomberFan
rogue comma

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I was at the event on Friday and as other posters have said, it makes sense when you hear him.

I think the original branding had many (myself included) thinking it was another US expansion plan, when he more so wants to provide opportunities for Canadian college kids to keep playing if they can't crack the CFL by making connections in Mexico and Europe, and giving kids in those countries a goal to reach for by selling the Canadian game to them, and trying to expand the pool of players we look at, like the NHL and NBA did. He is also working on TV deals with Mexico and European countries, and extra revenue streams can't hurt. I commented to my wife at the event that he talks a good game and is quite the salesman. It may fall totally flat, but I respect his idea that the league needs to do more than just stay afloat in Canada and think bigger on a global scale, and that this can entice cities like Toronto that want to be more global. Will it sour the western purists who think "Canada first"? Maybe, but Ambrosie touched on that too, and recognizes the different mindset that western CFL cities have and their hatred of the East ("it's supposed to be that way - we get it"). But Winnipeg is not going to lose hardcore fans because we entertain the thought of Mexican players coming to our combines, and it might create a new stream of fans (and revenue) for the league by broadening our base. Not a bad idea overall. Let's just see how the execution plays out.

To be honest I think something like this is a long time coming....and expanding "viewership" and potential markets is a good thing in this day and age....it is by no means and was never mentioned as expansion to places outside Canada...just bringing exposure to the game, and as football itself is growing globally, and there are  transplanted Canadians everywhere who would follow the league, if they don't already, as well as new untapped markets, with potential revenue...then thats a smart move

If it also allows a way for a Canadian to develop if he can't crack a team out of college due to being just too green or raw, but is allowed a season or 2 to season himself and have another crack at it...well then this is a win win situation for all involved 

4 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

That same random Canadian kid (and every kid thereafter) could also be looking at a 14k/season pay raise if Ambrosie gets his way. It is Ambrosie suggesting the minimum salary be raised, isn't it?

Not surprising considering there is a new CBA coming. Keeping it status quo would never work. They can't just keep raising the cap every year by $50,000 increments either as it's eaten up right away by inflation as well as paying veteran players more money. They have to find a better way of setting the cap maximum. Even with a $14,000 raise for rookies while it's a start, is  still too low. Maybe do what the NHL does by announcing the cap for the following season during the current one. That would be agreed to by the league meeting with the players & showing the books. There'd have to be transparency by the league to the players to do it that way.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

10 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Name me one retail sales clerk in a mall who makes $96000. That's the average CFL salary based on a $5.2 million salary cap and average roster size of 56 players. In fact, name me a sales clerk who makes $54,000/yr (CFL minimum). That would require an hourly wage of around $23, or double minimum wage. I get we are nowhere near as big as the NFL, but it doesn't mean we have to act like a second class league entertainment-wise. That is the mentality of the Commish anyway, according to his speech. Don't have to believe him, but he was a member of the CFLPA in his playing days, so when he says he is aware of the player's best interests I think he has a better frame of reference than most.

Compare it to other pro leagues. Compare apples to apples. Not apples to sunflower seeds.

You're way off on this one, Iso.....Dave Naylor actually just had an article about how the whole "CFL players make no money" thing is really a misnomer and part of their image problem. You can't compare it to "other leagues" because what other leagues are in the same situation as the CFL? Same number of teams, same TV deal, etc....where's the direct comparison? 

10 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

If Ambrosie doesn’t want to be second rate to NFL he better stop employing Americans.

This league doesn’t have energy or resources (including time of the minimal staff they have) to waste.  If Ambrosie things these partnerships are going to bring significant growth he’s really staking his future on it because they don’t have much else going in terms of league initiatives, beyond a bleak looking Atlantic expansion.  This while at least three CFL markets are in crisis.

BTW Canadians have always gone to play in these leagues and other semi-pro leagues in Canada too.  Tons of ex-CFL players have as well, even between CFL stints.  This isn’t treading on new territory.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules