Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

15 hours ago, johnzo said:

no way. the league was completely up front about how Manziel's participation had a bunch of contingencies. Reed knew the risks when he pulled the trigger on the worst deal in modern CFL history.

That deal is now Reed trading two first rounders and a canuck starter for an import tackle.  It's staggering how bad that turned out, and everyone saw it coming but Reed or whoever ordered him to do the deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if the OK for that trade came from ownership... bring in the big name, sell some jerseys and tickets.... hence why Reed still has a job...

10 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the OK for that trade came from ownership... bring in the big name, sell some jerseys and tickets.... hence why Reed still has a job...

I get why they traded for him. Potential upside, butts in seats, and rock star coverage. 

Dickinson on Roy Finch, when discussing his April 2018 arrest:

“Roy has to be proactive. He’s texted with (running backs coach) Marc Mueller and he’s called him. I really enjoy talking to him. To me, he’s not a violent man at all."

This quote from January 9th, 2019... the same week Finch allegedly kidnapped and punched this woman in his motel room.

Finch. What a hero 🙄

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Re: Manziel -- looks like he missed meetings with people whose job it was to "keep him on the straight and narrow"

https://3downnation.com/2019/02/28/johnny-manziel-skipped-meetings-required-by-the-cfl-sources/

I'm no Manziel fan, although I liked watching him play at T A&M, but he seemed to keep his nose clean since he arrived in the CFL a year ago. I'm surprised he missed these meetings and, I guess, the CFL does have a reason to permanently suspend him. 

I wonder if Montreal wanted him gone and got the league to do the dirty work? That seems like a bit of a stretch. 

Edited by JCon

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I'm no Manziel fan, although I liked watching him play at T A&M, but he seemed to keep his nose clean since he arrived in the CFL a year ago. I'm surprised he missed these meetings and, I guess, the CFL does have a reason to permanently suspend him. 

I wonder if Montreal wanted him gone and got the league to do the dirty work? That seems like a bit of a stretch. 

I will echo what others have implied... Manziel wants to play in the AAF and took the easiest out available to him.  I'm not surprised he missed the meetings at all, he likely did it on purpose so that he could have his way and be able to go play in the other league.  I guess time will tell weather he actually signs down there, but it seems awfully convenient for him that things went down the way they did.

29 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Good for Lulay getting out before being to beat up,   a real good guy and definitely the type of QB that the league needs more of. 

Lulay is getting a lot of accolades and messages from all over the league, and he deserves them. It’s just too bad he is so beat up because he brings a lot to the CFL huddle.

2 hours ago, Sard said:

I will echo what others have implied... Manziel wants to play in the AAF and took the easiest out available to him.  I'm not surprised he missed the meetings at all, he likely did it on purpose so that he could have his way and be able to go play in the other league.  I guess time will tell weather he actually signs down there, but it seems awfully convenient for him that things went down the way they did.

Along with his approach to life, it just seems to be JM  might be getting some bad advice on this but that's my bias in being a huge CFL fan.

As far as I know, a few QB's have carved out pretty nice careers in the CFL.

Not to say that he has the talent/mindset to do it but geez give it the old college try man.

5 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

He might be an alright GM by now.  His main problem in Winnipeg is he had been away from the league for too long. If he's learned from his mistakes he was pretty good at finding talent south of the line. 

He failed to understand, appreciate and properly evaluate Canadian talent.