Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

27 minutes ago, JCon said:

Stayed downtown during the WSF in Regina and found it really good. We even walked to the stadium. But, that's not the Grey Cup and I don't want to deal with inadequate infrastructure when I've got a 10 year old with me. Just not as much fun. 

You don't want your 10 year old's first Grey Cup memory with his Dad to be Regina, do you???

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You don't want your 10 year old's first Grey Cup memory with his Dad to be Regina, do you???

Honestly, I would expect most of it to be a blur for him. I saved him from having to attend a family wedding in Sask last summer (37 degrees in the shade but there was no shade in the field) and he didn't have to go to the WSF. 

He'll be 10 next year. About time he learns about life outside the bubble he lives in. 

4 hours ago, JCon said:

Honestly, I would expect most of it to be a blur for him. I saved him from having to attend a family wedding in Sask last summer (37 degrees in the shade but there was no shade in the field) and he didn't have to go to the WSF. 

He'll be 10 next year. About time he learns about life outside the bubble he lives in. 

You should get him into football. There are leagues for kids his age introducing football. In Calgary it's Atom for ages 10-11. Don't know what it's called in Winnipeg.

5 hours ago, bluto said:

Last time they got a Grey Cup game awarded to them I got roasted on pretty much every forum for standing up to the Pollyannas who proclaimed how Regina "deserves" it.

Wrong, wronger, wrongest.

You only "deserve" it if you can host both the event and the people who go to it in the manner in which it deserves. A GC in a small-time setting is a small-time GC. And the last one held there was like a local event and nothing like a celebration of Canada and Canadian Football. 

So TSN panel with watermelons on heads wasn't  particularly charming or endearing for non Priders ?

54 minutes ago, Zontar said:

So TSN panel with watermelons on heads wasn't  particularly charming or endearing for non Priders ?

Why they feel the need to suck up to Sask that hard I'll never know.

In related news... You wouldn't like but I feel mostly the same way about a Hamilton GC. Obviously a town not nearly capable of hosting the game on the scale it is due. Lots of fans will be coming in from other parts of the Golden Horsehoe but unable to stay in town near the Donut Box. I won't complain much because I have people in Hammy so I've a place to stay and I'm just enough of a hypocrite to not care how many thousand others are inconvenienced as long as my needs are met... But it is kinda bullshit that it's in Hamilton. Not as bad as Regina... But bad.

17 minutes ago, bluto said:

Why they feel the need to suck up to Sask that hard I'll never know.

In related news... You wouldn't like but I feel mostly the same way about a Hamilton GC. Obviously a town not nearly capable of hosting the game on the scale it is due. Lots of fans will be coming in from other parts of the Golden Horsehoe but unable to stay in town near the Donut Box. I won't complain much because I have people in Hammy so I've a place to stay and I'm just enough of a hypocrite to not care how many thousand others are inconvenienced as long as my needs are met... But it is kinda bullshit that it's in Hamilton. Not as bad as Regina... But bad.

Point taken. But we'll have to wait and see. This city bungles nearly everything it get its hands on, but that's on the government level, hoping they'll be cut out of the loop as much as possible 

51 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Point taken. But we'll have to wait and see. This city bungles nearly everything it get its hands on, but that's on the government level, hoping they'll be cut out of the loop as much as possible 

Zontar, you handled the criticism of your hometown from Bluto pretty well & your response was diplomatic. I'm impressed. If that was most Rider fans, there'd be a big meltdown.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Zontar, you handled the criticism of your hometown from Bluto pretty well & your response was diplomatic. I'm impressed. If that was most Rider fans, there'd be a big meltdown.

He did... But in fairness, was I really criticizing Hamilton (in that instance)?

They don't have enough places within Hamilton to house visiting fans. Coming from Toronto, London, KW or Niagara and having to go home at the end of the night is a mess.

27 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Smart move by the CFL because there is zero chance the CFLPA is going to ask for or even wants that and now they can't let CBA negs drag out or the lesser compensated will put pressure on the union to make this happen. Divide and conquer. Pit the muckers against the Nats and upper echelon IMPs. Weaken the union's resolve a week or so before negs begin.

Edited by gcn11

21 hours ago, JCon said:

Stayed downtown during the WSF in Regina and found it really good. We even walked to the stadium. But, that's not the Grey Cup and I don't want to deal with inadequate infrastructure when I've got a 10 year old with me. Just not as much fun. 

I've taken my kids to Grey Cup since they were little.  I've got 3, but they're all adults now.  Usually 1 at a time, unless the Bombers were in, then the budget got shot and it became a family event.   Back then it was the parade, local museums and family oriented events more so than the team parties and pubs.     We've had some great weekends over the years, and we still do some local attractions in addition to the parties and pubs.     With a 10 year old, Calgary is a much better choice than Regina.    More to do, plus you won't have the restaurant line-ups and waits that can be tough on a youngster.   If it were me, I'd rent a car and hit the mountains for a day.

Good for you on taking your kid.   I've been doing it for years and never have regretted it.

23 hours ago, gcn11 said:

Of the dozen or so Grey Cups I've been to around Canada, Regina was the only one that I did not enjoy. From the collusion between hotels and bus tours to completely rip people off, to having to walk back to my hotel because I made the mistake thinking that taking a cab was a possibility, to 3 hour waits in line for restaurants it was a complete fiasco from start to finish. NEVER AGAIN REGINA!!!

The only Grey Cup city that treats other fanbases like garbage.  I was shocked last time and we vowed to never set foot there again.  I don't know how the city can do anything about it because it seems to be based on the notion that everybody loves them and, if you dare to wear your colours that you are a target.  I spoke to fans from Hamilton (who were in the game) who bought a Riders jersey and wore it to the events so the harassment would stop.  

5 hours ago, bluto said:

He did... But in fairness, was I really criticizing Hamilton (in that instance)?

They don't have enough places within Hamilton to house visiting fans. Coming from Toronto, London, KW or Niagara and having to go home at the end of the night is a mess.

Yes. Hamilton isnt dynamic enough for a big event in a big city feeling but it's too big for a grass roots, folksy approach at the same time. Have to find a middle way that doesn't come across as some half assed compromise

Interesting to see what private sector forces Young can marshall to make this work and how much or how little government money .