Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

Attendance jokes from a Tiger Cat fan??    That's funny

Your sodium level lately has been very enjoyable. But nobody from the rectangle province ever gets to chirp another fanbase. And here's why: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/saving-the-roughriders-throwback-thursday-from-cbc-news-archives-1.2992032

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Your sodium level lately has been very enjoyable. But nobody from the rectangle province ever gets to chirp another fanbase. And here's why: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/saving-the-roughriders-throwback-thursday-from-cbc-news-archives-1.2992032

Considering 20 years ago, the Riders were taking grain as payments for season tickets & holding telethons. Talking to farmers on combines. 

17 hours ago, Ripper said:

Attendance jokes from a Tiger Cat fan??    That's funny

Don't know why you translated the joke as a comment on attendance.  It was an attempted humorous take on the fact the once, supposedly, premier franchise, in just over a month has been abandoned by their coach and were trucked by sad sack division rivals in FA...

To the point where  "well,  at least we didn't spend like drunken sailors" and "maybe Collaros won't get hurt this time" is the spin.

Mr. Roosevelt feels they should throw the ball more. What a shocker. There is, however, a reason that the RIders "aerial attack" did not throw for more than 3 yards at a time. They had a glass QB playing behind an OL that could not protect him. Pretty simple really. Kinda like what we did when we had Buck Pierce, 3 step drop and throw for 4 yards. I don't see what has changed. If McAdoo wants to stretch the field he'll be doing it with Fajardo by game 3.

59 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Mr. Roosevelt feels they should throw the ball more. What a shocker. There is, however, a reason that the RIders "aerial attack" did not throw for more than 3 yards at a time. They had a glass QB playing behind an OL that could not protect him. Pretty simple really. Kinda like what we did when we had Buck Pierce, 3 step drop and throw for 4 yards. I don't see what has changed. If McAdoo wants to stretch the field he'll be doing it with Fajardo by game 3.

The Riders got Powell and Watson, a receiver best known for his blocking, in FA. If anything, I think they'll throw the ball even less this season.

Will see as well as a soon to be (next month) 31 year old running back will do with that inferior O-line to Ottawa's with no aerial attack support him. Worn and beat down and largely pedestrian I bet, if he hasn't fallen off the cliff...as I recall hearing from over there that is what happens to running backs that age when referring to our "aging/fading" runningback :)

55 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

The Riders got Powell and Watson, a receiver best known for his blocking, in FA. If anything, I think they'll throw the ball even less this season.

Gotta run the ball because if they expect Collaros to stick around the pocket and pass the ball he might die on the field. 

Rider fans like to point out that their team surrendered the least amount of sacks last year and therefore they have a great OL. Anyone with half a brain, and who actually watches the game with a touch of intellect, knows that nothing could be further from the truth. They surrendered the least amount of sacks because their ENTIRE passing game was throwing the ball within 5 yards of scrimmage. Quick hitters. It is impossible to get sacks against that, but it is impossible to score consistently that way too. The reason they did that is because in their first couple games it became abundantly apparent that their OL sucked in pass pro. They want to put all the blame on McAdoo for the offensive struggles and game plan but really when you have an OL that is like swiss cheese and a QB who gets concussed when someone looks at him...what choice do you got? Will be much of the same this year.

I tried to mention that similar thing there...got the typical response...mentioned that the QB had the ball out of his hands the quickest with the dumps, and screens and hitch passes as well as ran fewer plays from scrimmage than the teams with better o-lines, but gave up a few more sacks.

They couldn't grasp that concept reflecting in the numbers...if your QB on average has the ball in his hands from 1 to 3 seconds as the play develops on average, as opposed to a team (Sask) who's qb has it maybe 0.5 to 0.8 seconds...well logic tells you that you should give up fewer sacks...also they fail to absorb that QB sacks for the most part are not totally a reflection on O-line play, and works in reverse as well that lack of sacks doesn't reflect O-line play.

It really seems like the Riders want to emulate the bombers.  Micah Johnson may also have been brought in because he was such a bomber killer last season.  More of a run stopper than a pass rusher though. Not sure how much he helps them vs Calgary, Edmonton and B.C.  for my money I’d rather have Jefferson. 

25 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

It really seems like the Riders want to emulate the bombers.  Micah Johnson may also have been brought in because he was such a bomber killer last season.  More of a run stopper than a pass rusher though. Not sure how much he helps them vs Calgary, Edmonton and B.C.  for my money I’d rather have Jefferson. 

Micah Johnson is a very good player, but Jefferson is an elite playmaker. I'll take Jefferson every time as well because his individual play can win games for a team, Johnson will not provide game winning plays. Last year we were two or three plays away from going to the Grey Cup...that's what it boiled down too. Walters went out and got us a player that might provide a couple of those plays every game. Johnson just clogs up the middle and forces a team to go in a different direction, You can game plan for Johnson...like Bighill, you can't game plan for Jefferson you just have to hope he's not on the top of his game.

2 hours ago, Booch said:

I tried to mention that similar thing there...got the typical response...mentioned that the QB had the ball out of his hands the quickest with the dumps, and screens and hitch passes as well as ran fewer plays from scrimmage than the teams with better o-lines, but gave up a few more sacks.

They couldn't grasp that concept reflecting in the numbers...if your QB on average has the ball in his hands from 1 to 3 seconds as the play develops on average, as opposed to a team (Sask) who's qb has it maybe 0.5 to 0.8 seconds...well logic tells you that you should give up fewer sacks...also they fail to absorb that QB sacks for the most part are not totally a reflection on O-line play, and works in reverse as well that lack of sacks doesn't reflect O-line play.

They won't see a valid point being made because they refuse to even consider it. Ignorance is bliss over there.