Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

19 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah the lack of running in the west semi final wasn't on Harris. That was on a bullshit game plan that played right into the what the Stamps D expected the Bombers to do. 

That wasn't the WSF that was the Final. The West semi final our old aging fading RB was only able to get 100+ yards against the leagues most dominate Dline.

I think LaPolice will only change his strategy if it is in his overall offensive game plan.  Like last year. 

He set up the offensive game plan featuring ball control and didn’t stray from it. That was why, to me, we could have had a much better game against Calgary if only LaPo would have not played right into the Stamps thinking. We could have messed them up pretty good with a different strategy, but no, we stuck with same old, same old. And Calgary knew it.

We had the weapons, and the mix (Streveler) And Wolitarsky etc. but we stayed the course. Too bad. It was a good chance we let slip away.

3 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I think LaPolice will only change his strategy if it is in his overall offensive game plan.  Like last year. 

He set up the offensive game plan featuring ball control and didn’t stray from it. That was why, to me, we could have had a much better game against Calgary if only LaPo would have not played right into the Stamps thinking. We could have messed them up pretty good with a different strategy, but no, we stuck with same old, same old. And Calgary knew it.

We had the weapons, and the mix (Streveler) And Wolitarsky etc. but we stayed the course. Too bad. It was a good chance we let slip away.

What really bothered me was the apparent lack of adjustments. "This isn't working, so lets try it again!"

19 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

What really bothered me was the apparent lack of adjustments. "This isn't working, so lets try it again!"

Lapo is the best offensive mind in the league when he's down by more than 2 touchdowns. As long as it's close or he's in the lead he's the most risk averse boring conservative coordinator going. The fact that the D was playing so well against Calgary is why they didn't even try and win the game offensively. Tried to play the don't **** up and win with D strategy they did in the semi final, but that works against Saskatchewan, now Bo Levi Mitchell. Guy is going to make a play at some point if you keep giving him chances. 

22 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah the lack of running in the west semi final wasn't on Harris. That was on a bullshit game plan that played right into the what the Stamps D expected the Bombers to do. 

More like Stamps took away the only weapon you had 

22 minutes ago, Ripper said:

More like Stamps took away the only weapon you had 

Soon as the gap in the score widened the Bombers started passing the ball downfield and had some success, not a coincidence. Lapo's MO has been on display for years in the CFL. He's the epitome of a coach not to lose guy and when he was head coach of the bombers they were coached perfectly to barely lose. 

Hell that's why Nichols had good numbers in the playoffs the 2 years before. Defense was trash so he had to open things up. Guy is too conservative, really wanted him to go be a head coach somewhere else, but sadly we are not so lucky. 

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Soon as the gap in the score widened the Bombers started passing the ball downfield and had some success, not a coincidence. Lapo's MO has been on display for years in the CFL. He's the epitome of a coach not to lose guy and when he was head coach of the bombers they were coached perfectly to barely lose. 

Hell that's why Nichols had good numbers in the playoffs the 2 years before. Defense was trash so he had to open things up. Guy is too conservative, really wanted him to go be a head coach somewhere else, but sadly we are not so lucky. 

Only weapon you had is not a fair comment. I should have said the weapon you like to use the most

On 2019-02-15 at 12:22 PM, pigseye said:

Connect on the two missed pass plays to Adams and Harris and it's a different ball game. Our guys just didn't make the plays when they were there and Calgary did. 

There’s always a 40 - 50% chance that a passing play won’t work.  BLM overthrew some guys too, but they had other plays in their arsenal for later on in the game. 

On ‎2019‎-‎02‎-‎14 at 6:53 PM, Ripper said:

Make all the jokes you want. Our front four is as good as anyone's and better than most.  TBH, having a hard time thinking of anyone who has a better one

Maybe for the first third of the season until the geriatrics on your DL run out of gas like last year. Hughes was like John Chick in 2016. Great first half then ultimately the wheels fell off. I suspect Hughes will have his first sub 10 sack season. He looked done for in the 2nd half last year. I think father time has caught up.

On ‎2019‎-‎02‎-‎14 at 10:36 PM, Booch said:

I would think Jeffcoat and Jefferson are best end pair in league..only doubters are sask..I remember everyone lauding dumping Leonard.. saying he was garbage..etc..now he's a beast??

Evan's is exactly over rated..what has he really done there? And dont say take up space for others to succeed..that's a load of crap..at at 200k a year? Yikes

Thomas had better stats..with less reps..playing same position..and played all ST's on top of it..Johnson is good I give u that..but at 31 we will see how he does doing all the heavy lifting himself.

As for depth?..who u got..Mack Henry..pft.. Geter? Hardly has proven anything other than impress the faithful.

Roh>AC Leonard.

Only in Saskatchewan would they hail the signing of a below average DE

1 minute ago, gcn11 said:

You do realize the Riders ran a 3 man front for 18% of their defensive snaps last year according to CFLdb.

Nope, because that's not how they sell it to themselves. 

"Best front four" The jokes just write themselves. 

1 hour ago, gcn11 said:

Maybe for the first third of the season until the geriatrics on your DL run out of gas like last year. Hughes was like John Chick in 2016. Great first half then ultimately the wheels fell off. I suspect Hughes will have his first sub 10 sack season. He looked done for in the 2nd half last year. I think father time has caught up.

As the season went on Hughes disappeared. That whole DL last year was all about stats & personal bests. I got the impression that winning wasn't important to them as long as they got their sacks. I hope Jefferson checks his ego in the locker room when he plays here next year.