Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

If the Bombers cant re-sign Chungh, their biggest FA, how are they better than the Riders who re-signed their biggest FA - Sam Hurl. 😅

Don't laugh.....many on that "other site" are clamoring over the signing and saying its a great move and that he played so great last year......he had 24 less tackles last year than he did in 2017 which was his third best year in tackles..... if that's a "Great" signing IDK what they think a bad signing is.

Losing a young Import player like JSK is not that concerning as there is a big supply to draw from, they just have to scout well and bring the right candidates in.  What is more troubling to me is potentially losing 4 of the 7 Cdn. starters when it took a helluva long time to attain the quality Natl. depth they had last year.  No quick fixes there.

11 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Losing a young Import player like JSK is not that concerning as there is a big supply to draw from, they just have to scout well and bring the right candidates in.  What is more troubling to me is potentially losing 4 of the 7 Cdn. starters when it took a helluva long time to attain the quality Natl. depth they had last year.  No quick fixes there.

Gray, simonese, peterman. There are 3. Plus one or 2 FA. Seems like a pretty quick fix.

Looks like we're losing a ton of NI talent. No... last years backups, who weren't good enough to get a starting job, aren't going to seamlessly step in and play as well. 3 of the NI's we're likely losing were all stars of some sort  last year.

I hate losing young difference makers like JSK. They are the kind of players you build your team on going forward.

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Looks like we're losing a ton of NI talent. No... last years backups, who weren't good enough to get a starting job, aren't going to seamlessly step in and play as well. 3 of the NI's we're likely losing were all stars of some sort  last year.

I hate losing young difference makers like JSK. They are the kind of players you build your team on going forward.

Yes they will

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

We could actually wait and see who Walters signs before shitting all over him...

18 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

hqdefault.jpg

29 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Demski can be replacedstarter wise by Woli...and at the least Simonese can follow a Woli like progression....though I believe we are going to hit a few nationals to play on defense to allow for only 1 national receiver on offence....just a hunch

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Demski can be replacedstarter wise by Woli...and at the least Simonese can follow a Woli like progression....though I believe we are going to hit a few nationals to play on defense to allow for only 1 national receiver on offence....just a hunch

Woli. was already counted as a starter last season, so replacing Demski with Simonise or Peterman provides the same ratio balance as last year on offence supporting 3 Import receivers, as long as Grey and Couture can step in right away.  Four Natl. backups replacing 4 Natl. starters from a year ago, I hope that's not the only plan.

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Woli. was already counted as a starter last season, so replacing Demski with Simonise or Peterman provides the same ratio balance as last year on offence supporting 3 Import receivers, as long as Grey and Couture can step in right away.  Four Natl. backups replacing 4 Natl. starters from a year ago, I hope that's not the only plan.

but given that Simonise and Peterman were rookies, should we be shocked if they do progress? I mean they have the physical tools, the pedigree and they've had a year as backups.... This is how it generally works in sports. Young guys step up and replace older guys. 

I mean christ, that's how Santos-Knox wound up being a player for us. He was Ian Wilds backup at one point and Wild was a damned good player, but we didn't lose anything having his backup take over the spot. 

It's sports, guys get an opportunity and it is up to them to make the most of said opportunity. 

Ackie please!!!

Seems like Jefferson is a done deal though...  Hall NEEDS his Allstar DEs and MLB to make his D work 

Feels like Chungh is just going to BC no matter what - I doubt that Walters was penny pinching with his offer...

I think the guy we will miss most is Nevis though...   don't like letting him go.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

but given that Simonise and Peterman were rookies, should we be shocked if they do progress? I mean they have the physical tools, the pedigree and they've had a year as backups.... This is how it generally works in sports. Young guys step up and replace older guys. 

I mean christ, that's how Santos-Knox wound up being a player for us. He was Ian Wilds backup at one point and Wild was a damned good player, but we didn't lose anything having his backup take over the spot. 

It's sports, guys get an opportunity and it is up to them to make the most of said opportunity. 

I really could see Wild back in Blue and Gold at the end of FA...  depending on how many of Walters targets are available.

What Ia m trying to say is that i think that we will not really have to replace Demski spot as a Canadian starter..I am thinking we go 2 nationals on defence...Safety and a Linebacker or Dlineman to allow us to only need 1 national receiver as a starter...but if we don't...Simonese can play boundary wideout and we will be fine..

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

What Ia m trying to say is that i think that we will not really have to replace Demski spot as a Canadian starter..I am thinking we go 2 nationals on defence...Safety and a Linebacker or Dlineman to allow us to only need 1 national receiver as a starter...but if we don't...Simonese can play boundary wideout and we will be fine..

I think Simonese is going to be playing regardless of the ratio.