Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

6 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

This Edmonton team that didn’t even make the playoffs with Reilly, will be worse than the Als without him. Maas better be heavily medicated this season. 

Maas may be one of the reasons Reilly leaves. He acts immature on the sidelines. His temper gets the best of him. I've never thought he was ready to be a HC. Some guys grow into the job but Maas hasn't.

21 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Maas may be one of the reasons Reilly leaves. He acts immature on the sidelines. His temper gets the best of him. I've never thought he was ready to be a HC. Some guys grow into the job but Maas hasn't.

BUT BUT BUT Reilly said a few weeks ago that he and Maas were BFFs. It's getting so that a girl doesn't know what to believe any more. And its gonna havta be the fans who will need to be heavily medicated.

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

If Reilly signs right away on Tuesday.. for the reported amount..then Harris and BLM will be raking 2 teams over the coals for 600k at least with 4 or 5 teams squabbling over them..totally throwing their SMS out of whack

I think it'll be safe to assume the salary cap will be going up.

Its no coincidence, for example, that the two teams most interested in Mike Reilly, Edmonton and BC, have the fewest of their own Free agents signed. 5 and 3 respectively. The Bombers have inked 14. ( these numbers are days old now)

So, sacrifices have to be make in other areas. 

The dynamics have changed for signing big name free agents especially with the amounts they’re talking.

Done deal, I'm reading - Reilly to BC. Apparently, has cleared out his place in Edmonton. Edmonton may be worse than Saskatchewan next year. 

Depending what happens to BLM, it could be a two-horse (haha) race for 1st between Winnipeg and BC next year.  

16 minutes ago, JCon said:

Done deal, I'm reading - Reilly to BC. Apparently, has cleared out his place in Edmonton. Edmonton may be worse than Saskatchewan next year. 

Depending what happens to BLM, it could be a two-horse (haha) race for 1st between Winnipeg and BC next year.  

Where are you reading that?

10 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

If we had a chance at BLM or MR... should we at least try for it? 

Wouldn't that move make the team better?

It might but have to factor in that signing one of those guys means you essentially have to play rookies in 4 other spots on your roster since they will make about $300,000 more than Nichols.

If Calgary drops out of BLM sweepstakes you know it’s not worth it.

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'd like to see the cap rise to $6.5 million at the very least. Seven at the most.

Why?  As Walters pointed out in his presser, if the cap goes up, the only players that will see any real benefit will be the high end players.  The guys at the bottom will see little impact and more guys will end up being squeezed out of the "middle tier".  Essentially, the rich will get richer and few others will benefit.

Without guaranteed contracts, it would be foolish for the Bombers to not try for the two best FA QBs possibly in league history. It’s not how O’Shea operates and it may even be a long shot but how do you justify not taking that chance? Reilly or BLM make this team easily the best in the league and if they sign, you cut Nichols immediately, if they don’t, keep things status quo. I just hate the idea that the regime is saying “we’re set at QB”. Opportunities like this don’t come along that often, especially when the team is probably just an elite QB away from being a top cup contender for the next few years. 

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It might but have to factor in that signing one of those guys means you essentially have to play rookies in 4 other spots on your roster since they will make about $300,000 more than Nichols.

If Calgary drops out of BLM sweepstakes you know it’s not worth it.

I know you’ve been a critic of Nichols in the past. I’m honestly wondering, do you think this team has a better shot at a Grey Cup with Nichols and four vets elsewhere, or BLM/Reilly with four cheap guys at random spots in the lineup?

14 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

If we had a chance at BLM or MR... should we at least try for it?

Wouldn't that move make the team better?

Wouldn't that cause a huge rift in the locker room between BLM/MR and all the other guys that have grown with Nichols? Also, good luck convincing Nichols to be a backup to one of his two biggest playoff rivals over the past few years...