Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Remind me what is currently preventing any CFL team from signing a kicker from anywhere in the world....?

Nothing, CFL teams do it already. Josh Bartell leaps to mind. Getting these players more exposure will probably lead to even more signings from around the world. I really don't see the drawbacks to any of this. It's not like CFL players are getting siphoned away to Europe... sounds more likely the opposite will happen, if anything happens at all.

41 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

My only gripe is the commissioner doesn't seem concerned with getting a new CBA signed.... this announcement is like painting your car when it needs a new transmission... sure, it looks nicer, but it still doesn't work.

These are all issues. That they want to be discussed in the new CBA. They need to be started first.

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

PA does not want to start negotiating till March

I am sure the CFL will be happy to delay it even longer. The longer it goes the more the league squeezes the players that have no money in the off season and are pressured into dealing. Historically this is the way it has been.

Remember last December when I voiced my concerns about the lack of talks & was told they shouldn't be expected to meet over the holidays ? That I was being unrealistic. Oh, they get together once a month. So, just relax, I was told. Oh, it's Christmas. They're going to start meetings in early February, they said. Now we've been told early March barely 2 months before training camps start... How absolutely STUPID is that? It's like both sides want a league strike or lockout. I just don't get it.  

8 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

I am sure the CFL will be happy to delay it even longer. The longer it goes the more the league squeezes the players that have no money in the off season and are pressured into dealing. Historically this is the way it has been.

I’d agree the concept of the employer delaying discussions is not a bad strategy for one side. Ambrosie hasn’t necessarily been all bad for the players so far with more bye’s and less gruelling practices. Should the players association buy into Ambrosie’s vision which includes a larger amount of the players longer term health, his goodwill to date could go a long way to everyone agreeing to a new C.A. 

16 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They're going to start meetings in early February, they said. Now we've been told early March barely 2 months before training camps start... How absolutely STUPID is that? It's like both sides want a league strike or lockout. I just don't get it.  

Relájese...

Entspannen Sie Sich...

Slap af..

Se détendre...

In other words..relax, we got you covered.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Remember last December when I voiced my concerns about the lack of talks & was told they shouldn't be expected to meet over the holidays ? That I was being unrealistic. Oh, they get together once a month. So, just relax, I was told. Oh, it's Christmas. They're going to start meetings in early February, they said. Now we've been told early March barely 2 months before training camps start... How absolutely STUPID is that? It's like both sides want a league strike or lockout. I just don't get it.  

I think you are overestimating the amount of time this will take.

53 minutes ago, Noeller said:

this x10000000.......it's not an NHL dispute. This might take a week or two...

The players simply can't afford a work stoppage and their union doesn't have buckets of cash. The players will get whatever morsels the league will give them and then sign on the dotted line. I am yet to see, in 40 years of following, the CFLPA dig in its heels on anything. Closest we came to a work stoppage was when the owners threatened to lock the players out over the guaranteed revenue sharing. Took all of a week for the CFLPA to give it up.

4 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

The players simply can't afford a work stoppage and their union doesn't have buckets of cash. The players will get whatever morsels the league will give them and then sign on the dotted line. I am yet to see, in 40 years of following, the CFLPA dig in its heels on anything. Closest we came to a work stoppage was when the owners threatened to lock the players out over the guaranteed revenue sharing. Took all of a week for the CFLPA to give it up.

Now, now....Iso's been a fan of this league since Dickety Ought 9, when they wore leather helmets and short pants.....so don't you tell him that there won't be a stoppage. He knows better than anyone..........................................

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Agreed. Its not as if there are buckets of money to be divvied up. Its going to be mostly about player movement and benefits.

Exactly. Nothing has changed in terms of what the league can bring to the table when it comes to $$$. The players will not be getting a huge raise...they likely know this as well. The fact that the CFLPA are the ones suggesting to start AFTER free agency speaks volumes about what they are expecting if you ask me. It'll be a fairly quick negotiation. 

26 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Now, now....Iso's been a fan of this league since Dickety Ought 9, when they wore leather helmets and short pants.....so don't you tell him that there won't be a stoppage. He knows better than anyone..........................................

Well back in the 1918 he may have had a point. Nowadays, not so much. The big fights between unions and employers have all been fought already. Now it's just about maintaining for unions.

Edited by gcn11

34 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Gimme five bees for a quarter!