Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

13 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I don't expect Mitchell to end up in Regina. he likely goes back to Calgary.  But "At least adequate" sounds like a scary endorsement by you on Nichols. Personally I want more than that for the Riders.

Under the right circumstances, an "adequate" quarterback can win it all in the CFL. Nichols has shown himself to be better than that, but not consistently. Any of the quarterbacks that have worn Rider green would have loved to be "adequate". The Riders problems go a lot deeper than just shoddy quarterbacking.

13 hours ago, gcn11 said:

If you're from Riverton in the past 60 years it would be tough not to know a Melsted.

13 hours ago, Floyd said:

Grimolfsons are a lot bigger though.

Melsted rings no bells. Grimolfsons absolutely. We used to watch a Grimolfsons dog when they'd go away.  Duecks, Johnson, Gubjartson,  Kornelsen, Erickson, Zagozewski, Einarson. Lots of names that would ring bells, I honestly can't place a single Melsted.

15 minutes ago, brett_c_b said:

Melsted rings no bells. Grimolfsons absolutely. We used to watch a Grimolfsons dog when they'd go away.  Duecks, Johnson, Gubjartson,  Kornelsen, Erickson, Zagozewski, Einarson. Lots of names that would ring bells, I honestly can't place a single Melsted.

Melsteds were past Hnausa mostly

10 hours ago, Ripper said:

I don't expect Mitchell to end up in Regina. he likely goes back to Calgary.  But "At least adequate" sounds like a scary endorsement by you on Nichols. Personally I want more than that for the Riders.

Nichols is infinitely better than anything you guys have rolled out at QB over the last 5 years. Adequate would be a huge improvement for you guys right now, and it doesn't appear to be a level you are going to attain any time soon. Last place with a bullet next year. What QB in their right mind is going to go to a team that has lost all it's best players, it's COTY, and has by far the worst offensive system in the league.

You should be hoping and praying that JOD can land a QB at least as good as Nichols this year, because if I were a betting man, I would say that it doesn't appear he will. Maybe a reclamation project like Jennings, or re-signing the Faberge melon of Zach...that's about the best you can hope for until McAdoo is gone.

Edited by gcn11

6 hours ago, brett_c_b said:

You must have been gone a long time I guess.

12 hours ago, Ripper said:

You can sleep well at night knowing fat Matt will be sucking up about 450 next year. 600 for Mitchell or Reilly would be a dream come true.

Hardly a dream come true when those fat salaries allow you next to nothing to augment your team with...and i guess you can sleep well knowing you will end up with one of Collaros..Bridge or Jennings...eeewweee

I'll take fat Matt's 450 right now and his winning record the last 3+ years over 700k and the left overs you guys will be sucking up to..cause at least if Nichol's falters we have a plan B that has shown he can play and win...you hardly have a "plan" as of yet 😉

12 hours ago, Ripper said:

You can sleep well at night knowing fat Matt will be sucking up about 450 next year. 600 for Mitchell or Reilly would be a dream come true.

Fat Matt...? What are you, 12 years old?

11 hours ago, Ripper said:

Adequate is still significantly better than non-existent, though. Don't expect that defense to carry the busted up green machine for another season, lest you want to see another home playoff loss again.

It's really amazing how you show up here just to stir the pot. Remember these two words: glass barns.

Points after:

👁‍🗨“Vancouver Whitecaps averaged 18,211 per game, while the B.C. Lions drew an average 14,769.” - Mike Beamish     BUT

According to published #CFL figures, #BCLions averaged 19,975 fans (avg. increase of 800 from 2017) in 2018 season. That’s a significant difference from the average 14,769 reported by PavCo (BC Place landlord) in freedom of information figures.

👁‍🗨Fun Fact: The two #Bombers QBs who backed up Ryan Dinwiddie at the 95th Grey Cup are now NFL head coaches. 👀 (h/t @EdTaitWFC)

👁‍🗨Fenner bender - restructuring his contract with the Bombers to free up $ is telling..

👁‍🗨 The Rams were the 11th highest scoring team in NFL history. None of the 11 highest-scoring teams in history ever won a championship.

👁‍🗨Wilson is a good re-signing

👁‍🗨Former Manitoba Bisons star, Israel Idonije, has nothing but praise for the CFL reaching a strategic partnership with the German Football League (GFL) designed to grow the game in both countries. - http://bit.ly/2TqZhIJ

Mike Beamish - A decade ago, #BCLions offered #SuperBowl53 MVP Julian Edelman a three-year, incentive-laden contract to play QB in the CFL. He considered it before waiting out the draft. “I didn’t know whether I could play in the (NFL),” Edelman admitted. His mom, Angie, is from Kitchener, Ont.

👁‍🗨200,000 for a safety is loffable.

Percentage of Free Agent players signed:

2hz32x5.png

Former #Bombers Canadian OL Matthias Goossen joins #Delta Police Department 3downnation.com

And where is he in this photo? At centre of course..

2lto61g.jpg

👁‍🗨Sure glad the Bombers aren’t in QB limbo like some teams are..

👁‍🗨CFL teams can afford a $700,000 QB? Really? Or is it Reilly?

👁‍🗨Is the upcoming Free Agency period, starting next week, going to be the most curious one yet?

25 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Maybe.....but he still runs like a fat kid.

He's slow as molasses but at no point would I think he's huffing and puffing and is out of shape.   As much as I like to crap on Matt I definitely wouldn't question his commitment at being physically and mentally prepared for playing football.     I only question his abilities to execute and his ability to take criticism.