Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

5 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Craig Dickenson is a pretty weak hire imo....but he was probably the best one under the circumstances. No chance in Hades I would have given him a 3 year deal though.

He was already locked down for two ha...  and pretty sure everyone interviewed was like 'I need at least one year without McAdoo'

Not surprised it's Dickenson. Thought that's where they'd end up after no team would allow them to interview their coaches. That leaves Trestman, who is smart enough not to wade into the mess that is the Riders right now, and coaches currently on the Riders staff. I'm a bit surprised about the 3 year contract. I was expecting 2.

11 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Anybody else think a guy who only wants to be a 9-5er and who has time off built into his contract to go skiing is not going to be a great HC?

If Dickenson produces a winning record, no one in Sask will care. If the team slumps, the pitchforks will be out before Canada Day.

19 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Jones left town so fast he forgot to turn off the porch light, didn't have the courtesy or the nerve to hold a press conference thanking anyone for the opportunity or support.  Weasel was and weasel shall be.

This is patently false. Saskatchewan does not have weasels... or porch lights for that matter.

I think Chamblin wanted  his coaches back something like a month earlier & Dickenson said no. So, he was fired & went to Edmonton where Chris Jones had just been hired. That was Chamblin's final year as Riders HC. He became dictatorial & eventually lost the locker room. Hopefully, he learned a huge lesson out of all that & will treat his assistants & players in Toronto a lot better.