Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

What seems to be lost on the Rider fans, and even some Bomber fans, is that Paul Lapo wanted, received, and agreed to an extra year on his contract. No one put a gun to his head. 2 year contracts are now the norm for coordinators. Why? Because they wanted multiple years of GUARANTEED salary in exchange for their signature. Lapo could have gone year to year on his contract if he wanted the freedom to leave whenever a job came up...but he didn't. He took a two year extension because that would guarantee his salary beyond one year. I hardly think it's fair for coaches/GMs to sign multi-year deals for GUARANTEED money and then cry foul when they are actually asked to honor them. We would honor the contractual payment if we had decided to move on from Lapo. If the coaches around the league truly want their freedom to move, it's quite simple, give up the GUARANTEED contract as a sign of good faith.

Edited by gcn11

16 hours ago, Ripper said:

I would not swap our line for yours.

Yeah but you're a rider fan, which means you are among the most biased fans in existence. Your opinion on matters related to the CFL are worth less than nothing. 

If the Rider line was so good why did the Bombers dominate the all star selections and have the most outstanding lineman? Everyone in the CFL knows the Bomber OL is vastly superior, the only people disagreeing are rider fans. 

Go on, find me someone who isn't a Rider fan who says the Riders have a better OL than the Bombers. I'll wait. 

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

That's an interesting take. I'm not sure anybody outside the Sask borders would agree with you.

I'm not sure many from Sask....at least the ones that actually understand football...would agree either. Mind you that's not too many.

Edited by gcn11

19 hours ago, Booch said:

Most likely running the short yardage packages and staying in like last year, and I can see it expanded on as well.

I would think this year as well..Oshea may give him more meaningfull game reps when game is out of hand on the scoreboard

The Bombers are developing their backup QB in a refreshingly innovative way.  They obviously have a number of "Streveler" packages that include pass/run options primarily centered around intermediate to short gains (less than 20 yards).  Last year they consistently inserted him into the game when the stakes were real "the game was obviously still in contention" to play those Streveler packages.  It's WAY more consequential playtime than any backup I've ever seen get outside of injury to a starter.  Allows him to build confidence in a more natural way while simultaneously providing additional offensive depth to the Bombers attack.

16 hours ago, gcn11 said:

All joking aside, the Riders faithful are upset at the situation but the blame should solely rest on two men Chris Jones and Reynolds. In 2015 these two men engaged in back room negotiations during the season in order to completely blindside a divisional rival. This stunk so badly the CFL had to create new rules to make sure it didn't happen again. For the first time in CFL history other teams now needed league approved consent to hire a coach away from another team. Rider fans cackled with glee at how they screwed over the Evil Empire.

3 years later the man who tampered with Jones got a heavy dose of karma by trusting him. Gone was the savior because Reynolds was too stupid to get a cutoff date on Jones NFL out clause. Now faced with needing to poach another coach got an even bigger dose of karma when the rule created because of his cheating bit him in the nads. Rider fans are still crying foul...but the rest of the CFL says ..HA HA Karma beyotch! Hows the tampering and acting in poor faith working out 4 you now?

This sir, is the truth

Funny, after all the wailing by Priders about The Evil Empire in the 70s and 80s preventing SSK from achieving it's natural status as Canada's team...

They'd be the most sensitive about teams raiding other teams ..

But buying a GC in 2013, giving all that money to a mercenary like Jones, all the roster shenanigans by Taman and Jones ...

The attitude is now as then is FU. As Evil as the Empire ever was. And not a hint of irony among 'em.

Edited by Zontar

55 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Craig Dickenson to be announced as Riders new HC this afternoon....

Mcadoo must furious! He will likely mail it in on offence this year and then bolt as soon as his contract is up like a big FU to sask for not giving him the HC job. The turmoil this year among their coaching ranks is going to be thick.

4 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Mcadoo must furious! He will likely mail it in on offence this year and then bolt as soon as his contract is up like a big FU to sask for not giving him the HC job. The turmoil this year among their coaching ranks is going to be thick.

I see what you did there. Somehow sounds less nutty when a Bomber fan says it though...go figure.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah but you're a rider fan, which means you are among the most biased fans in existence. Your opinion on matters related to the CFL are worth less than nothing. 

If the Rider line was so good why did the Bombers dominate the all star selections and have the most outstanding lineman? Everyone in the CFL knows the Bomber OL is vastly superior, the only people disagreeing are rider fans. 

Go on, find me someone who isn't a Rider fan who says the Riders have a better OL than the Bombers. I'll wait. 

How many of their OL would start on the bombers? 1 maybe for nuef? even then id rather develops gray then bring over any of their guys. They dont have the worst OL in the league. But the riders are handily in the bottom tier. 

YEAH considering Macadoo was the Asst. Head Coach and was by-passed first by 2 outside hire attempts...that we know of...others may have declined and the Riders kept that out of the news...and now by-passed by the teams ST's coordinator...you have to think he feels lilted/upset/disenchanted...angry??...same with Dickenson to a point..as basically he gets it as the default option, and most likely won't feel to secure there....going to be interesting times in Riderland this year...i almost smell the scent of rubber burning already

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

How many of their OL would start on the bombers? 1 maybe for nuef? even then id rather develops gray then bring over any of their guys. They dont have the worst OL in the league. But the riders are handily in the bottom tier. 

Who would start over Neuf..Not Bladek or St John...and Labbatte is way overated now and just getting accolades on his play 2-3 years ago..last couple years he has been average/adequate at best...sure he looks good compared to the other crap they trotted out..but that doesn't say much

I think the Riders going with Dickenson was the right choice, as much as it sucks.There's no reason a special teams coordinator can't make the leap - look at O'shea. Dickenson has had a long history in the CFL and knows the going ons. Was hoping they would do something desperate like hire Glanville, but oh well.

I really hope they keep Mcadoo. That guy is awful. 

Edited by Dr Zaius

1 minute ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

3 year contract for Dickenson. Could blow up in their faces if they get off to a bad first year or 2. He is also staying on as ST coach. 

I think it's a good move. It gives him and O'Day a chance to actually rebuild the team. And, it does need rebuilding. 

Dickenson is about to discover that a HCing job is year round and not 9-5. Excellent. I LOVE the 3 year contract. Guarantees a minimum two years of sub standard HCing in Regina. I would not be particularly enthused about this hire if I were a Rider fan. I think CD is a very good special teams coach but his work ethic made that his ceiling. Wonder if he waits until March to report for duty.