Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Yes but signing a contract in bad faith can void a contract if it's argued, which means signing it does not entitle one to a bonus. Now the Bombers didn't bother to waste their time pursuing it because they probably just felt it was better to eat the cost, but facts are Durant acted like a child and stole money from the Bombers. You sign a contract you honour the contract, especially when you were well compensated to do so. 

And you know what his situation, family and personal circumstances were that may have impacted his decision.....how exactly?

15 minutes ago, JCon said:

Even though I realize this would immediately benefit the Riders, I still think the CFL should revisit the cap on management/coach spending. I think it's ridiculous that the a team, even the Riders (may they rot in h), can't replace all their coaches when the GM/HC walks out. 

I also think it's unfortunate for Lapo that he's not getting the chance to hear their pitch and make a decision on his own. However, the Riders put themselves into their own terrible position and it's way too late to expect the Bombers to replace their OC. I wish it worked out for Lapo, though, because I really like the guy. 

This is totally on them, in a properly run organization they would have an asst. coach in place to promote to H.C. from within, but because they gave all the keys to the kingdom to Jones, they're left with the consequences of his choices.  But don't blame Jones....he's immaculate.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

4 minutes ago, do or die said:

Believe that the New Plan..... of having a caretaker HC, this season is sound. Riders should implement this right away.

Better yet, they should go with no HC. Just let the coordinators call the plays when their players are on the field. It will go marvellously. 

20 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

They do know that Streveler also works most of the time with Buck who will take over after. Sure it won’t be that hard to convince him to stay.

I think it will come down to $$, how much can the Bombers afford to pay Strev., if they decide to keep running with Nichols?  From the look of things the proficient QB supply will not match demand into next season and there will be some desperate teams shopping, so I would expect he will garner plenty of attention and receive a hefty pay increase.  Setting up to be similar to the Drew Willy scenario, receive starting wages before earning them.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

10 minutes ago, do or die said:

Man, that perceived bum Glenn has sure outlasted a ton of QB's, in this league

And he rarely played for good teams and took some real beatings. He endured a lot of abuse from fans here and there but he was better than most of his peers. The biggest lack he had (some would say it was a life asset) was that he lacked a certain amount of fire in the belly. He tried to keep winning and losing in perspective and that drew a lot of flak.

If the Bombers are smart, and Streveler shows more improvement and progression this year, and that he can run the offence then Walter's should be in his ear late in season saying that they will extend him for 2020 as the starter, and once season ends at some point move Nichols for whatever we can get, or outright release him if he doesn't agree to restructure as a veteran back-up

Decent article. Has some valid points regarding set dates coaches need to abide by. I think the irony in all of this is that this ALL started with Jones bolting from EDM to Sask which caused the league to take action. Now he volts again and Sask cant get what they want.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-s-policy-on-coaching-hires-needs-a-tweak-1.1246634 

43 minutes ago, Booch said:

If the Bombers are smart, and Streveler shows more improvement and progression this year, and that he can run the offence then Walter's should be in his ear late in season saying that they will extend him for 2020 as the starter, and once season ends at some point move Nichols for whatever we can get, or outright release him if he doesn't agree to restructure as a veteran back-up

I would hope those discussion start taking place no later then week 9.