Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

In contrast to the CFL, NFL playoff TV ratings are through the roof - 3downnation

I didn't realize how poor the ratings were these past playoffs. 

From the article: 

The GreyCup was also a disappointment. Viewership for the CFL’s championship game between the Calgary Stampeders and the Ottawa Redblacks was just 3.1 million on TSN – a decline of over 23 per cent from 2017. It was the lowest-rated game since 2001 (2.7 million) and the worst showing for TSN since they took over the broadcast rights 11 years ago.

The league has some big time issues to solve before it gets into it's next deal, presumably with TSN again, which expires after 2021.

I'm not sure why CTV doesn't carry the Grey Cup? I would think they could leverage the better ad buys there and more viewers? 

Edited by JCon
Typo

16 hours ago, lyin' guy said:

As I explained to the Rider folks, training camp started in June in ’10.  It starts 2.5 weeks earlier this year as the schedule moved up. If that's the case the equivalent closing window on coaching hires would be last week. 

But did you explain it to them using Sesame Street characters and crayon drawn charts and graphs. If not, the point was probably lost on most of them.

2 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

So the Bombers said no to the Riders on LaPolice, and according to RFs LaPo is pissed because the Bombers held him back.

The Riders just interviewed Dickenson. What if they tell him no? 

What if they don't even bother to interview McAdoo?  Seems to me that might create a bad vibe in house, he is the one Jones anointed Asst. Coach and of course Jones isn't responsible for any of the mess he's left behind. 1-2-3 BOLT!

In any event Jones leaving has made a bit of a mess of things. Left Sask in a bit of a lurch and subsequently the Riders are causing grief amongst other teams by wanting their coaches. No good. 

Find a coach Riders and leave other teams alone at this point in time. 

Edited by lyin' guy

Well, I hear that Lapo is steaming mad.  He plans to sulk and deep six the Bomber O, this season, out of spite.  . He is also going to forgo personal grooming and wear Green and White on the sidelines in protest.  Paul plans to frequent Lyle E. Style's bookstore, and post regularly on RF, to get out his side of the story.

I know all this...because unlike Rider fan information....my sources are impeccable.

1 minute ago, lyin' guy said:

In any event Jones leaving has made a bit of a mess of things. Left Sask in a bit of a lurch and subsequently the Riders are causing grief amongst other teams by wanting their coaches. No good. 

Ummmmm...you don't say.......

9 minutes ago, do or die said:

Well, I hear that Lapo is steaming mad.  He plans to sulk and deep six the Bomber O, this season, out of spite.  . He is also going to forgo personal grooming and wear Green and White on the sidelines in protest.  Paul plans to frequent Lyle E. Style's bookstore, and post regularly on RF, to get out his side of the story.

I know all this...because unlike Rider fan information....my sources are impeccable.

Speaking of Lyle, whatever became of that strange miscreant?

28 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

In any event Jones leaving has made a bit of a mess of things. Left Sask Ina bit of a lurch and subsequently the Riders are causing grief amongst other teams by wanting their coaches. No good. 

The league needs to create stability within the teams, they can't allow coaches to jump around like monkeys between trees just because that's the way it was done in the past and they despise wearing collars.  If it needs to be reduced to one year contracts with no outs for all assistants, so be it, the league should seek stability and not allow teams with more pocket change to wreak havoc on teams that have been managed well.  Turns out the Riders "plan" was in the possession of just one guy and he just walked out the door with it.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

56 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

You mean Canada's team is not allowed to do whatever it wants? How dare you.

42 minutes ago, do or die said:

He is in some form of Witness Protection .....as Miller has a contract out .....to avenge Lyle.

And now you have given away where he can be found to the hitmen. Nice. Nate, if you are reading, stay in the basement of your bookstore for a couple of days.

57 minutes ago, do or die said:

Your sources on this sound just as believable as Stronson's sources.....eerily similar actually. Maybe it is true.

I dont get where this so upset he is going leave the second the season is over and straight to Regina bull crap. 

The unknown source said he was "very upset". So how upset was he? Upset like you get very upset when a child does something they shouldn't and you get over it in 10 seconds. Or very upset like he is going to mail it in for 12 months. 

They take things so out of context over there is unbelievable.

Rightfully so he may have been upset or even very upset. But I really dont think its life altering upset and he is going to sabatoge the season and be disgruntled etc. 

Give it up Priders.

5 hours ago, JCon said:

In contrast to the CFL, NFL playoff TV ratings are through the roof - 3downnation

I didn't realize how poor the ratings were these past playoffs. 

From the article: 

The GreyCup was also a disappointment. Viewership for the CFL’s championship game between the Calgary Stampeders and the Ottawa Redblacks was just 3.1 million on TSN – a decline of over 23 per cent from 2017. It was the lowest-rated game since 2001 (2.7 million) and the worst showing for TSN since they took over the broadcast rights 11 years ago.

The league has some big time issues to solve before it gets into it's next deal, presumably with TSN again, which expires after 2021.

I'm not sure why CTV doesn't carry the Grey Cup? I would think they could leverage the better ad buys there and more viewers? 

The problem is becoming not enough variety.  How many times can please get excited for a Calgary vs Ontario team narrative?  Calgarians are more and more taking a win for granted and not caring so much to watch the game itself during Flames season. If a team that isn't used to being there in the West was in I think you would have seen much higher ratings. These days there's so much more competition for peoples TV time.  There's an over abundance of great TV shows resulting from the streaming services fighting over the subscription dollars, the video game industry is still setting records, American News never has a dull moment, and Canadian NHL teams are performing.  

2 hours ago, do or die said:

I know all this...because unlike Rider fan information....my sources are  The Source is impeccable.

FIFY.

Image result for mike kelly football

4 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

What if they don't even bother to interview McAdoo?  Seems to me that might create a bad vibe in house, he is the one Jones anointed Asst. Coach and of course Jones isn't responsible for any of the mess he's left behind. 1-2-3 BOLT!

It was reported today that they did interview Mcadoo