Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

Here's something I don't see being discussed a lot. As has been mentioned the planning for FA has been underway for a while. Lapo is obviously a part of that, he likely knows the $$ amount the bombers are wanting to extend to each target. However part of the bombers plan for negotiating with FAs is to explain how said FA will work in their current Offensive system. So in giving Lapo to another team, not only are you losing an OC, but you're also giving a division rival important information on your FA plans, while also leaving behind a tool you're going to use to sway FAs over to you.

Sure Lapo might be mad, that's understandable I guess (though I don't see how any reasonable person could be THAT upset about it). But allowing him to walk could turn out to be very drastic for this team, especially during an off season that is going very well for a Bomber team that has positioned itself to have a pretty successful season.

39 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I'd bet money Tina is ok with him staying here. And since she wears the pants.... Paul is also. 

Staying in Winnipeg will take a ton of the sting away for Paul. At the end of the day he, and his family, LOVE Winnipeg. It has probably already blown over.

31 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

Haven't we all? 😃

Absolutely, but we are not paid to be accurate. He is. He has been uncharacteristically very inaccurate over the past couple months. I am wondering if he is getting big pressure to create click bait.

7 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Here's something I don't see being discussed a lot. As has been mentioned the planning for FA has been underway for a while. Lapo is obviously a part of that, he likely knows the $$ amount the bombers are wanting to extend to each target. However part of the bombers plan for negotiating with FAs is to explain how said FA will work in their current Offensive system. So in giving Lapo to another team, not only are you losing an OC, but you're also giving a division rival important information on your FA plans, while also leaving behind a tool you're going to use to sway FAs over to you.

Sure Lapo might be mad, that's understandable I guess (though I don't see how any reasonable person could be THAT upset about it). But allowing him to walk could turn out to be very drastic for this team, especially during an off season that is going very well for a Bomber team that has positioned itself to have a pretty successful season.

Saying Lapo is very upset creates far more clicks than saying he was mildly disappointed. I don't believe that Farjan had any conversation with Lapo while he was in Kansas yesterday, and I believe whoever fed him this info, he took it and blew it up for reasons of readership.

24 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Saying Lapo is very upset creates far more clicks than saying he was mildly disappointed. I don't believe that Farjan had any conversation with Lapo while he was in Kansas yesterday, and I believe whoever fed him this info, he took it and blew it up for reasons of readership.

Lapo wouldn't likely be human if he didn't feel anything after receiving a limitation. He'll get over it and be a professional.  He was really upset after the riders had 13 men on the field in the Grey Cup but he got over that too.  He comes off as being a quiet guy but i think he's got some passion.

30 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Staying in Winnipeg will take a ton of the sting away for Paul. At the end of the day he, and his family, LOVE Winnipeg. It has probably already blown over.

Sure would be nice to hear something from Paul...like how he wants to bring a Cup to the city and have a great year...We need to hear that he's still very much a part of this club...in spite of all the rhetoric ...Hello Lapo...you out there

Whether LaPo is happy or not, I'm just glad the Bombers have a G.M. in place with enough common sense and the cojones to say N.F.W..  If LaPo is so offended that he wishes to leave the team at the end of this season it gives them a full year to search for his replacement. It's probably happening anyway, so best prepare.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

27 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Whether LaPo is happy or not, I'm just glad the Bombers have a G.M. in place with enough common sense and the cojones to say N.F.W..  If LaPo is so offended that he wishes to leave the team at the end of this season it gives them a full year to search for his replacement. It's probably happening anyway, so best prepare.

Honestly I'd probably be fine with letting Coach Buck run the O at this point. It'd likely be the same thing, negating huge changes/overhaul, but with some minor tweaks of his own... 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

That's what I was thinking.How do you send a key part of management off loaded to the hilt with info about your FA plans.I am glad they said no.

Edited by the watcher

If Riderfans want to be mad at someone they should be mad at Jones for leaving them high and dry, or Reynolds for negotiating such a stupid contract that allowed this to happen.....that doesn't fit the narrative of the moderation over there though. They've been selling Jones and Reynolds as the Riders saviors for so long now that this puts them in quite the bind. But like any experienced fan forum member they will instead create the Bomber bogeyman to distract the membership at large from realizing how grossly incorrect the Jonestown fan club really were.

8 hours ago, gcn11 said:

I am kinda scared. Stronson has it on good authority from his multitude of inside sources that Lapo is going to quit and take a year off, he is so mad. We all know that Stronson is not a fan forum member, he is a super secret CFL spy that knows everything going on behind the scenes of every club.

I totally agree with your take. January 20 is way too late in the game for teams to be replacing coordinators without weakening themselves greatly. Not sure why the Rider fans feel the Bombers are obligated to let Lapo possibly go at this stage of the game. Just because Craig Reynolds was too stupid to put a drop dead date on Jones leaving doesn't mean we have to be equally as dumb.

Then if he quits, he quits.  He still won't coach the Riders. You're quoting Rider freaking Stronson????? Is he even relevant?

Edited by SpeedFlex27