Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

3 hours ago, jazzsax said:

Supposedly it goes back 3 months or so to a couple minute segment he did on one of his shows. I was wrong in that it wasn't a podcast.

But anyway....  just proves a point that Riderville is like North Korea. 

Say anything bad, you get canned and shipped out. 

Dude.  You showed up at the front door throwing nuclear haymakers. Of course you're going to get banned.  

20 minutes ago, Tracker said:

It was widely known that Peterson had been battling the bottle for many years but had dried out several years ago.  However, if you sober up a horse thief, you still have a horse thief.

Cone of silence descends on Riderfans. Taking themselves so deathly serious is both ha-ha funny and weird funny.

Yet any similar story on any other team is fair game.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

It was widely known that Peterson had been battling the bottle for many years but had dried out several years ago.  However, if you sober up a horse thief, you still have a horse thief.

Bit of a low blow there.  Alcoholism is a disease and people should be praised and supported for beating it. 

Pederson' struggles have nothing to do with this. I happen to know the reason why he is gone but it best not be discussed in public.  And out of respect to the friend that told me. 

Edited by lyin' guy

6 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

. I happen to know the reason why he is gone but it best not be discussed in public.  And out of respect to the friend that told me. 

Then why say this ?

Acknowleding and beating addiction ? Noble. 

Using that as part of the arsenal for self promotion? Creepy.

30 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Then why say this ?

Acknowleding and beating addiction ? Noble. 

Using that as part of the arsenal for self promotion? Creepy.

Only to confirm it was not drinking related as was inferred in the post a responded to. 

Self promotion?  Hardly my friend. I have no need nor desire. 

Edited by lyin' guy

35 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

Bit of a low blow there.  Alcoholism is a disease and people should be praised and supported for beating it. 

Pederson' struggles have nothing to do with this. I happen to know the reason why he is gone but it best not be discussed in public.  And out of respect to the friend that told me. 

My point being that when people are in the grip of an addiction, they are often devious, dishonest and manipulative. Those who dry out and overhaul their lives as per the 12 steps are the ones who flourish, but those who simply abstinent (often by being compelled) are the ones who struggle and often fall down again because they have not done the work on themselves.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

My point being that when people are in the grip of an addiction, they are often devious, dishonest and manipulative. Those who dry out and overhaul their lives as per the 12 steps are the ones who flourish, but those who simply abstinent (often by being compelled) are the ones who struggle and often fall down again because they have not done the work on themselves.

Got it. Thx 

I, for one, am disappointed in Rod Pedersen leaving. I would often listen to the sports cage out here in Saskatoon. Pedersen was fiercely loyal to the Riders and a true "homer". He wore his emotions on his sleeve. I would text him as a Bomber fan and he'd get riled up. It was always in good fun and he said so too. I appreciated his honesty with alcoholism too. I will miss him. 

I wish you all the best, Rod!!

24 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

Only to confirm it was not drinking related as was inferred in the post a responded to. 

Self promotion?  Hardly my friend. I have no need nor desire. 

Understood.

No, was referring to Pederson.

I know you're not a Mark Washington fan. Anything I should know about Robin Ross,  Randy Melvin?

HAM just hired them.

Edited by Zontar

5 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Understood.

No, was referring to Pederson.

I know you're not a Mark Washington fan. Anything I should know about Robin Ross,  Randy Melvin?

HAM just hired them.

They are good football guys. I like Ross. Washington has no clue. Just when he figures out the Lions can't play zone and are a man to man D he sends them back into zone and we get steamrolled  Frustrating.