Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

oh no! not our OC! no one can run a cfl offense but lapo! he has sooooo many championships as a coach too....

Booch jokingly said he was going to be our OC this year.  That's what I was referring to.  As far Lapo, he is doing a great job where he is, he should stay

I don't know that the Bombers can prevent the Riders from talking to him, can they?    Because it's a step up in the coaching ranks, isn't there somewhat of an unwritten rule that you don't hold your coaches back?  If they roadblock the conversation, there will be some bad blood / elephant in the room sorta scenario.  If LaPo is happy and wants to stay here, there's nothing wrong with granting the Riders permission so he can politely decline their offer.

4 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

I don't know that the Bombers can prevent the Riders from talking to him, can they?    Because it's a step up in the coaching ranks, isn't there somewhat of an unwritten rule that you don't hold your coaches back?  If they roadblock the conversation, there will be some bad blood / elephant in the room sorta scenario.  If LaPo is happy and wants to stay here, there's nothing wrong with granting the Riders permission so he can politely decline their offer.

I wouldnt give them that chance.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Doesn't matter, the brain trust over in Riderville has already determined that Lapo should be the next coach... and the Bombers shouldn't hold him back... and, if they did, they would poison the team... and how can the Bombers do that... and definitely Lapo wants to come... and why are the Bombers holding him back... and there's no trust in MOS if they hold him back... 

At some point, it just becomes easier to stab yourself in the eye with a pencil. Less painful. 

Is it really a brain trust if they all share one brain?

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

He is the convenient hire and it might happen. There isn't a ton of time to go into a big search. Unless we just grab some guys from the unemployment line. Trestmen and Benevides 

You do realize that you have to hire a new GM first right?  Or is O'Day just taking over the VP and GM duties?

Just now, Ripper said:

I'm quite sure it will be O'Day

I would think you're right, but until they make that official, what HC candidate in his right mind would even consider taking on a position where the GM has not been officially named.  You generally want to know who your boss is and know that he's happy with you in the HC role before you take on the position.  Of course, if someone is willing to move to Regina, the "right mind" part of my argument gets blown right out of the water.

20 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I would think you're right, but until they make that official, what HC candidate in his right mind would even consider taking on a position where the GM has not been officially named.  You generally want to know who your boss is and know that he's happy with you in the HC role before you take on the position.  Of course, if someone is willing to move to Regina, the "right mind" part of my argument gets blown right out of the water.

I would move to Regina if it meant a job within the cfl....

4 minutes ago, jazzsax said:

Really only two words that all of us should be saying in regards to jones being gone...

"Good Riddance"

My mother, a Rider fan, is certainly pleased. She was very upset when they extended him.

For some people, class and dignity are far more important than an extra win or two a year. Not sure he brought that but he certainly didn't have any class or dignity.