Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

46 minutes ago, Noeller said:

As funny as it is to see the Riders in turmoil, I'm concerned that Jonesy leaving means the Riders just got better. I was kinda hoping they were going to tie themselves to his crazy for awhile longer and he could really run 'em into the ground but good...

They were 3-15 before he got there and 12-6 when he left. I'm certainly not a fan of his, but that's not running a team into the ground. I wouldn't want him as a head coach, but I'd definitely take him as a dc.

5 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Hoping Lapo stays with the Bombers.

If Lapo moves to the Riders he has to inherit most of the coaches there. Plus he will have no QB.
Hope that will turn him off. 

He's got to feel good about his chance of winning a G.C. this year, especially if the Stamps lose BLM.  If he wants the Riders H.C. job it will be there waiting for him next year.

13 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Yeah, that might be the direction I'd go, if I were them. Lapo or Trestman.

Best case scenario is they hire from within, have the same crappy offense with McAdoo, and a much weaker defense without Jones.

personally id go trestman. idk if he would fit under their cost requirements though. 

So let's recap this day.

- defensive player of the year Adam Bighill signs with Bombers. 

- jealous fan on Rider forum suggests injury on Bighill.

- second jealous fan on Rider forum suggests now all Bombers need is a head coach and general manager. 

- Riders lose head coach and general manager Chris Jones.

Oh Rider fans. There are no words for how sad you are.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Yah maybe but who's left on the market for H.C.?  Maybe they'll come after LaPo hard and make him an offer he can't refuse and the Bombers can't come close to matching.

The Bombers and other teams will not let the Riders near their coaches at this point in the off-season.  So much of the planning for 2019 is already on the go.  The Riders will have to draw from unemployed coaches, and there aren't that many at this time of year.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

As funny as it is to see the Riders in turmoil, I'm concerned that Jonesy leaving means the Riders just got better. I was kinda hoping they were going to tie themselves to his crazy for awhile longer and he could really run 'em into the ground but good...

They literally have no one to choose from to fill their staff.  Will likely have to promote someone to HC.  Can't see any of the big free agent QB's risking their career on that situation.

So IF the Bombers allow the Riders to talk to LaPolice (which will only happen after the new GM is hired), he can be hired as HC as long as he's willing to run an offence with no legitimate QB AND he has to keep pretty much the rest of the coaching staff for this year AND he has to live in Regina.  Don't really see that as likely.  I'm thinking that 2019 might be the funnest year in the history of the CFL!