Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

I honestly have a hard time seeing the downside to these types of initiatives. If it works, more exposure for the league which should translate into more $$. If it doesn't work...they lose out on the $$ spent (which is likely minimal) to set up the combines/drafts etc. But there's no teams failing, there's no need to pull out of cities etc. Is it where I would have started? Maybe not. But I'm not privy to the info the league execs are. The potential success of this type of thing heavily out weighs the potential risks.

34 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I honestly have a hard time seeing the downside to these types of initiatives. If it works, more exposure for the league which should translate into more $$. If it doesn't work...they lose out on the $$ spent (which is likely minimal) to set up the combines/drafts etc. But there's no teams failing, there's no need to pull out of cities etc. Is it where I would have started? Maybe not. But I'm not privy to the info the league execs are. The potential success of this type of thing heavily out weighs the potential risks.

Perception is very important and eventually costs dollars.

Here’s another aspect.  The league just forced teams to cap their spending on football operations.  There is no CBA.  It’s a league with limited resources, yet the commissioner and some of the scarce league office staff have time to grab ass with Mexican football and now German football?

Actual attendance at games in BC, Toronto and Montreal isn’t even hitting 5 digits.

Look at the officiating, which is another area that needs resources.

If it’s minus 30 and you don’t have a front door you don’t start drywalling the basement...you get a door and hang it!

If you were a conspiracy theorist you might think the league is actually looking for a source replacement players to hang over the CBA talks.  That actually makes way more sense than thinking there’s any revenue to gain from Mexican television.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, one or 2  local German players are going to arouse interest? Seems to me the CFL has to do that itself by getting games televised in Europe & educating fans about the wide open Canadian 3 down game.  Then playing exhibition games over there. Sadly, the CFL barely promotes the game in Canada let alone in Mexico or Germany. Teams shut down for months in winter with hardly any news for local fans. If we can't promote in our own cities then why would the CFL promote in other countries. Call me skeptical. 

The comparison was Yao Ming and the NBA with China.  Yao Ming was a celebrity before he was drafted by the NBA and was also a good enough player to be the #1 overall pick among all basketball players in his draft year.

Apples and oranges.

Maybe they should have a draft of famous soccer players and see if any of them will try to make a CFL team as a kicker.  That’s more likely to get the sideshow attention.

3 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

The Liberals have killed pipelines. Alberta's lost about 20,000 oil-related jobs. 

Now...back to football please.

If you don't want to be challenged on errata you post, don't post baloney. Meanwhile, back at the ranch....

Re: the Mexico stuff. The ESPN contract(s) would be a lot more lucrative if the audience in Mexico started watching the CFL in large numbers, and the advertising revenue would also jump. There might even be some good players unearthed. At the very least, the initiative got a fair bit media attention. Its all good.

Forgive but.....are we now going back to the import non import days? If these Mexican players are now being reclassified as non imports....so be it. But to believe that they can now compete with the caliber of players coming out of the NCAA is somewhat naive. While I appreciate the need to expand the revenue streams and audience base doing it on the assumption that Mexico is an actual talent pool is at best a complete stretch. 

39 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Perception is very important and eventually costs dollars.

Here’s another aspect.  The league just forced teams to cap their spending on football operations.  There is no CBA.  It’s a league with limited resources, yet the commissioner and some of the scarce league office staff have time to grab ass with Mexican football and now German football?

Actual attendance at games in BC, Toronto and Montreal isn’t even hitting 5 digits.

Look at the officiating, which is another area that needs resources.

If it’s minus 30 and you don’t have a front door you don’t start drywalling the basement...you get a door and hang it!

If you were a conspiracy theorist you might think the league is actually looking for a source replacement players to hang over the CBA talks.  That actually makes way more sense than thinking there’s any revenue to gain from Mexican television.

I agree actually. But none of those are reasons as to why they shouldn't do this...just maybe not at this time. With the information I have (as just an average fan of the league) I don't think this is the time to be pursuing this, but I don't have all the information.

As for the other areas of the league struggling...especially TO/MTL/BC. They've tried over and over to address those. MTL only comes out for a winner. BC and TO just don't want the CFL. Why should the league continue to pursue "fans" in cities that have shown time and time again, they don't want to be a part of it. Remember when TO just needed a new, smaller venue? Or maybe some star players, or championship teams? 

The league doesn't need to go international to find replacement players. There are plenty in NA. They need eyes on the TV screen. And there are plenty of those in NA too, but it's also a very saturated market, and we all know the CFL will always be the NFL's little silly cousin as far as Americans are concerned. So why not branch out? Low risk high reward.

People need to stop thinking this is about having players immediately come in and contribute. This is the first step in developing talent in other markets that can compete for starting jobs in future and thus building the brand over time. The NFL has been doing this for years in Europe and is just starting to see guys come in and make rosters/drafted in NFL.

31 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Forgive but.....are we now going back to the import non import days? If these Mexican players are now being reclassified as non imports....so be it. But to believe that they can now compete with the caliber of players coming out of the NCAA is somewhat naive. While I appreciate the need to expand the revenue streams and audience base doing it on the assumption that Mexico is an actual talent pool is at best a complete stretch. 

I have heard that some of them are quite skilled in running and climbing.

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Also it’s going to give a chance for Canadians to go down there play and develope and hopefully one build the México pro league and two give them a opportunity to come back and try to win jobs up here.

If they want to go.  There's a really good semi-pro league in Ontario that draws a lot of guys from all over Canada but especially the GTA, and the CFL grabs players out of there fairly regularly.   Who is going to pay talented coaches to run the Mexican league and develop our players?

44 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

People need to stop thinking this is about having players immediately come in and contribute. This is the first step in developing talent in other markets that can compete for starting jobs in future and thus building the brand over time. The NFL has been doing this for years in Europe and is just starting to see guys come in and make rosters/drafted in NFL.

The NFL had and has money to burn.  They also largely backed out of Europe because it was a money pit to run NFLE.  The only country that supported it was Germany.

The CFL is one Braley or Wetenhall dying from having to pay the bills for a team.

On 2019-01-12 at 9:29 AM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Well hopefully the following will be enough to dissuade him, who in the hell would want to spend their post-playing career in Regina?

"The Riders would try and sway Reilly to end his career in Saskatchewan, pushing the benefits of being the face of the franchise – especially post-playing career when Reilly could earn income in various ways long after the days of stepping on the football field are over. Combined with the benefits of playing in a state of the art facility for a rabid fan base."

Reilly should take a read on this article before considering Regina

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-news/roughrider-struggling-to-find-work-in-regina-during-off-season?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2gfC5ZKmn_aNgz2GGPVUjZxIIIASozOUX8ucw00RAM7wT6ANMNvGuaa4E#Echobox=1547127483

Takoby Cofield wanted to spend the CFL’s off-season working in Regina. Instead, he’s been twiddling his thumbs while waiting for the phone to ring.

Cofield, who finished his first CFL season as an offensive lineman with the Saskatchewan Roughriders, took to Twitter on Wednesday to voice his disappointment about having little success finding employment in the city.

“Up to a total of 20 apps as of today… you want better for the Regina community yet you have Riders that are trying to contribute and be an asset and it seems like we are an afterthought once the season is over,” wrote Cofield.

Cofield, who is originally from Tarboro, N.C., recalled being told by teammates that there would be plenty of job opportunities for a Roughrider during the off-season. Cofield returned home when the Riders’ playoff run ended in November, and began sending out applications the next month. He’s spoken to some employers, but has yet to get an interview.

31 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If they want to go.  There's a really good semi-pro league in Ontario that draws a lot of guys from all over Canada but especially the GTA, and the CFL grabs players out of there fairly regularly.   Who is going to pay talented coaches to run the Mexican league and develop our players?

The NFL had and has money to burn.  They also largely backed out of Europe because it was a money pit to run NFLE.  The only country that supported it was Germany.

The CFL is one Braley or Wetenhall dying from having to pay the bills for a team.

I heard that Germany wanted a team in Warsaw so that they could go over there. They also wanted a team in Paris so that they could practice their end runs.

I have no problems going after different revenue streams but maybe Ambrosie should take care of business here first. Like a new CBA first & foremost & the drain of free agents being signed by NFL teams which hurts continuity & name recognition with casual fans.  At least get the CBA done & I won't be as concerned. I think his priorities are all screwed up.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

As far as all I know about Mexican television, this guy is on 24 hours a day:

Edited by kelownabomberfan

8 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

There's no way to grow the revenues within Canada? None at all? Toronto is now lost to the CFL? BC and Montreal are sinking and there is no way to grow revenue in Canada? 

I don't buy that. 

Go ahead and spread the game to Mexico, and hopefully it will pay off, but the opportunity cost and saying that we can't grow Canadian revenue will hang on Ambrosie's tenure. 

Getting Bell to move the Grey Cup, the premiere Canadian sporting event each year, to CTV would grow revenue on the next television deal.