Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

3 hours ago, Booch said:

YEAH that is kinda funny...from what I know/hear..players can't get out of there fast enough when the season is over...or during a by week.

I actually think Winnipeg probably has to, or is close to be the city with the most post/carer players who stick around..American and Canadian...or it sure appears that way

Calgary used to have outstanding opportunities in the O & G industry before Trudeau & the Liberals killed it off. I know of more than a few players who became millionaires after they finished playing for the Stamps. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Calgary used to have outstanding opportunities in the O & G industry before Trudeau & the Liberals killed it off. I know of more than a few players who became millionaires after they finished playing for the Stamps. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Exactly how did Trudeau and the Liberals force down the international price of petroleum? It would be amazing if a country which produces less than 6% of world petroleum could do that.

Edited by Tracker

32 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Exactly how did Trudeau and the Liberals force down the international price of petroleum? It would be amazing if a country which produces less than 6% of world petroleum could do that.

The Liberals have killed pipelines. Alberta's lost about 20,000 oil-related jobs. 

Now...back to football please.

47 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Naylor reports that they're likely going to do another of these during the current off-season, but with Germany being the likely destination.......I just don't get it.....

What's not to get? It's about getting more eyes on the TV screens to generate revenue.

As an example, I know people who follow a specific soccer team (overseas somewhere) due to a winnipeger playing on said team. They watch the games, follow the social media outlets etc etc. They did none of those things before the Wpg player joined that team/league. Bringing in international players will draw international attention...how much $$ will be generated from it...who knows? But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

1 hour ago, blueingreenland said:

The Liberals have killed pipelines. Alberta's lost about 20,000 oil-related jobs. 

Now...back to football please.

More like over 100,000 oil related jobs.  Then there's Bill C69 in the Senate as well. That will prevent any future pipelines from being built. It's in the Senate now for study & could be seriously amended before being passed. Bottom line, the Stamps can't use the O & G industry now as a recruiting tool as in the past.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

What's not to get? It's about getting more eyes on the TV screens to generate revenue.

As an example, I know people who follow a specific soccer team (overseas somewhere) due to a winnipeger playing on said team. They watch the games, follow the social media outlets etc etc. They did none of those things before the Wpg player joined that team/league. Bringing in international players will draw international attention...how much $$ will be generated from it...who knows? But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

How many Mexicans or Germans know of Winnipeg? 

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Bill C69 in the senate as well. 

Doesn't that thing have to pass 3rd reading in the house to become law...So many changes I just can't see it being implemented in it's present form...IF it is the oil industry better be prepared to exit as an economic driver in this country...

With regard to the Mexican adventure????Seems a stretch if it becomes a winner for the CFL....I remember only to well a big adventure when we had American teams and the thing went sideways...But I'll go with nothing ventured nothing........well you know???

Edited by Stickem

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

That's the point. They aren't going to know just...cause. They need a reason to tune in....like a local player joining the league perhaps.

So, one or 2  local German players are going to arouse interest? Seems to me the CFL has to do that itself by getting games televised in Europe & educating fans about the wide open Canadian 3 down game.  Then playing exhibition games over there. Sadly, the CFL barely promotes the game in Canada let alone in Mexico or Germany. Teams shut down for months in winter with hardly any news for local fans. If we can't promote in our own cities then why would the CFL promote in other countries. Call me skeptical. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, one or 2  local German players are going to arouse interest? Seems to me the CFL has to do that itself by getting games televised in Europe & educating fans about the wide open Canadian 3 down game.  Then playing exhibition games over there. Sadly, the CFL barely promotes the game in Canada let alone in Mexico or Germany. Teams shut down for months in winter with hardly any news for local fans. If we can't promote in our own cities then why would the CFL promote in other countries. Call me skeptical. 

Ideally, yes one or 2 players could generate a lot of interest. Ideally, they will become stars and dominate for a few seasons. Realistically that's obviously not likely. But the league has had plenty of attempts at getting more interest from within Canada with varying degrees of success. ("our league" "Diversity is strength" "what we're made of" "bring it in" etc etc etc) But at the end of the day, there's only so much revenue that can come from Canadians.