Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

On 2019-01-08 at 11:17 AM, Colin Unger said:

But eventually you need a gm who you’re comfortable putting out there. The head coach will always do more media than the gm but Kyle Walters still faces the media semi-regularly. It would really concern me if Atlantic Canada brings in Tillman to shape their franchise. In Atlantic Canada with an expansion team he will get an abnormal amount of attention during the first season.  At first it will just be him before coaches are hired. And there will be an expansion draft ect. 

You said Tillman was face of the franchise here.  He wasnt. At any time. Ever.

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

Well hopefully the following will be enough to dissuade him, who in the hell would want to spend their post-playing career in Regina?

"The Riders would try and sway Reilly to end his career in Saskatchewan, pushing the benefits of being the face of the franchise – especially post-playing career when Reilly could earn income in various ways long after the days of stepping on the football field are over. Combined with the benefits of playing in a state of the art facility for a rabid fan base."

17 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Well hopefully the following will be enough to dissuade him, who in the hell would want to spend their post-playing career in Regina?

"The Riders would try and sway Reilly to end his career in Saskatchewan, pushing the benefits of being the face of the franchise – especially post-playing career when Reilly could earn income in various ways long after the days of stepping on the football field are over. Combined with the benefits of playing in a state of the art facility for a rabid fan base."

Maybe Darian Durant could tweet about that...

Reilly nothching a few bargaining chips, with the riders getting in on the hunt for Reilly...I see a big payday ahead for Mike with Hervey,Sunderland and now Jones throwing money at him...My bet is he'll head to the coast where he has had past relationship...both geographically and personnel wise

4 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Maybe Darian Durant could tweet about that...

He could do that if he stayed in Edmonton, as well. Regina has 200,000 people. Edmonton has 1.5 million.  The media sure makes out  Regina as this special place whereas in reality, if you blink, you'll miss it.  It's just a big town with 2 main streets.

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Can you imagine the conversation betweeon Jones and ZC if Saskatchewan strikes out on Trevor Harris and Mike Reilly?

And then have to sell a dud like Jennings to the fanbase  as the solution to the  QB puzzle when Collaros says "smell you later" and leaves for TOR.

Edited by Zontar

Of course the Riders are going to try persuade him, but chances are basically nill that he signs there.

Put yourself in his shoes. A 3 year extension at around 600k per year is going to offered by Edmonton, BC, Sask, and maybe even Calgary throws their hat into the ring.

This very well could be his last contract if he wants it to be as he's not a spring chicken and he's made some decent money in his career.

Abandon the city he played most of his career in (Edmonton), pass up the chance to play in Vancouver closer to family, to play in a dump of a small town in Regina? 

I HIGHLY doubt it. People forget that players have a choice of where they want to sign and lots of times money doesn't matter. The opportunity to sell insurance post career isn't going to bait anyone 

Edited by Dr Zaius

19 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I guess according to the media in this country, Regina is the only city in the CFL where players can work in the off season or start a new career for after football. What a bunch of ****. 

YEAH that is kinda funny...from what I know/hear..players can't get out of there fast enough when the season is over...or during a by week.

I actually think Winnipeg probably has to, or is close to be the city with the most post/carer players who stick around..American and Canadian...or it sure appears that way