Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

31 minutes ago, Zontar said:

This is the city that rejected hosting the Commonwealth Games and tore down a statue of its founder.

Which has exactly jack-****-all to do with a proposed CFL franchise.

32 minutes ago, Zontar said:

The people behind the bid might have their ducks in row with nice pictures and charts but it's the politicians  who control the money.

Oh, like any other city. What an astute observation.

Point being your are placing faith and hope in a city council that caved completely to outside political pressure. All it would take  is similar pressure to derail this. 

The cry will be against public money used for a private business concern when money should be spent on (progressive causes here ).

Pressure groups know how to game the process to block and clog the system from projects succeeding and how to get grievances adressed.

Statue issue is a tiny example.  Pipelines in Alberta would be the other end of the spectrum. 

23 hours ago, bearpants said:

I'm pretty sure the only HC currently in the $10M area is Jon Gruden (2.5M per win)... but the top end guys would be in the 5-8M range... which is certainly a nice little payday..

Was recently reported that Pete Carroll's new contract puts him in that neighbourhood, and Belichick was already there...

2 minutes ago, nate007 said:

Was recently reported that Pete Carroll's new contract puts him in that neighbourhood, and Belichick was already there...

I think Belichick gets $7.5M and Payton, who was the highest, is at $8M, unless that's outdated information? 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Jim Barker back in the CFL with Hamilton & Eric Tillman out.

3downnation describes this as speculation that Barker will be serving as a consultant. Tillman must have some solid assurances that the Halifax franchise will be going ahead.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

3downnation describes this as speculation that Barker will be serving as a consultant. Tillman must have some solid assurances that the Halifax franchise will be going ahead.

No kidding.  He may have got some insider info that the money has been allocated for their stadium. 

On 2019-01-02 at 1:41 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

He'll never get an NFL HC job. He'll stay in Regina.

I don't know if that's good or bad though.  I am all for the Riders getting embarrassed by us like they did in this playoff game and if his staying there does that, then good.

On the other hand, his bush league twist the rules roster management tactics and unstable personality look bad on the league, and him leaving Regina would be a win for the league IMO.

4 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

I don't know if that's good or bad though.  I am all for the Riders getting embarrassed by us like they did in this playoff game and if his staying there does that, then good.

On the other hand, his bush league twist the rules roster management tactics and unstable personality look bad on the league, and him leaving Regina would be a win for the league IMO.

Agreed. I cannot think of another team that would put up with such deliberate flouting of rules and still keep the GM on. This speaks to the desperation of the Rider board of directors and executive to win at all costs, even if it means signing felons.

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No kidding.  He may have got some insider info that the money has been allocated for their stadium. 

Wow do I hope you are correct about that. I have a concession business that I operate in Brandon at the Keystone Centre. Just got wind that I almost kinda sorta have gotten the contract for the hockey arena in Halifax. Would love to put in a bid for the new stadium, too !!!

not to mention I think having the 10th team would be AWESOME for the league. 

36 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Marshall Ferguson too 

1 hour ago, CodyT said:

Wow do I hope you are correct about that. I have a concession business that I operate in Brandon at the Keystone Centre. Just got wind that I almost kinda sorta have gotten the contract for the hockey arena in Halifax. Would love to put in a bid for the new stadium, too !!!

not to mention I think having the 10th team would be AWESOME for the league. 

Why else would he leave Hamilton?

4 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Eric manages to outwear his welcome one way or another everywhere he has been. Likely it happened in Hamilton especially with Austin gone.

I was wondering more if Hamilton simply didn't want to have him as the face of the franchise. I'm going to be somewhat disappointed if he's the face of the Halifax team.  Way to introduce a potential negative into something that should be wholly positive. Tillman was supposed be just behind the scene in Hamilton but then when Austin left he kind of came to the forefront.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

I was wondering more if Hamilton simply didn't want to have him as the face of the franchise. I'm going to be somewhat disappointed if he's the face of the Halifax team.  Way to introduce a potential negative into something that should be wholly positive. Tillman was supposed be just behind the scene in Hamilton but then when Austin left he kind of came to the forefront.

Rubbish.

He was never "the face" at anyntime. His media appearances and interviews here were as rare as hens teeth. When Austin stepped down it was June Jones  24-7.

Austin and Tillman were a tandem so it's only logical when Austin stepped down Tillman's time here was limited.