Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

3 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

They will have plenty of football ops cap space when Chris Jones gets hired by an NFL team :) 

http://www.3downnation.com/2018/12/31/riders-chris-jones-candidate-nfl-job-report/

I saw that too, wondering who the hell contacted him though?  As a Packer fan I sure as hell hope it wasn't us.

14 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I can’t imagine he would get serious consideration for a head coaching job and I don’t think he would accept a job as an assistant coach. 

Isn't that what everyone is doing in Regina though..... waiting for any job that is outside of Regina ?

9 hours ago, JCon said:

You don't think he would take an DC job? I do. 

He gets paid good money in the CFL.  Its hard to get figures on what a rookie defensive co-ordinator would make in the NFL but I don't think it would be a pay increase.  I view him as a control freak who would rather run his own show and be in charge then take orders as a defensive co-ordinator in the NFL.  But I was thinking that a more realistic situation would be him turning down a job as a defensive line coach.  Don't think Millanovich would have left the CFL either had he not been working for a mickey mouse organization with writing on the wall that he was going to be fired.

41 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

He gets paid good money in the CFL.  Its hard to get figures on what a rookie defensive co-ordinator would make in the NFL but I don't think it would be a pay increase.  I view him as a control freak who would rather run his own show and be in charge then take orders as a defensive co-ordinator in the NFL.  But I was thinking that a more realistic situation would be him turning down a job as a defensive line coach.  Don't think Millanovich would have left the CFL either had he not been working for a mickey mouse organization with writing on the wall that he was going to be fired.

If you watch anything on Ego Jones, you'll know he scraped his way up from a nothing high school assistant's assistant football coach. He LOVES going home and strutting like a peacock. If he gets a chance to coach a Division I football team or become a DC of an NFL team, he's jumping. Yes, he loves being a big fish in a small pond but he'll equally love all the adoration he would get as a College HC or NFL Coordinator. 

12 hours ago, JCon said:

If you watch anything on Ego Jones, you'll know he scraped his way up from a nothing high school assistant's assistant football coach. He LOVES going home and strutting like a peacock. If he gets a chance to coach a Division I football team or become a DC of an NFL team, he's jumping. Yes, he loves being a big fish in a small pond but he'll equally love all the adoration he would get as a College HC or NFL Coordinator. 

Jones is also making $500,000+ per year wearing multiple hats for the Riders, for a po boy that grew up in the projects of South Pittsburgh TN. he's got to be happier than a pig in grits with his current arrangement and remuneration. 

14 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Jones is also making $500,000+ per year wearing multiple hats for the Riders, for a po boy that grew up in the projects of South Pittsburgh TN. he's got to be happier than a pig in grits with his current arrangement and remuneration. 

He is also a climber who will jump at any chance to "move up". He gets a shot he will go.

15 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

IIRC, Milanovich got ~$350k US to be the Jag's QB coach a couple years ago. Jones would undoubtedly make far more money as a DC (even on a first contract) than he does in the CFL. Plus, the ceiling down there is much higher. There are multiple HCs in the $10 million/year range, and top coordinators like McDaniels and Fangio can make millions per year as well.

20 minutes ago, nate007 said:

IIRC, Milanovich got ~$350k US to be the Jag's QB coach a couple years ago. Jones would undoubtedly make far more money as a DC (even on a first contract) than he does in the CFL. Plus, the ceiling down there is much higher. There are multiple HCs in the $10 million/year range, and top coordinators like McDaniels and Fangio can make millions per year as well.

I'm pretty sure the only HC currently in the $10M area is Jon Gruden (2.5M per win)... but the top end guys would be in the 5-8M range... which is certainly a nice little payday..

9 hours ago, Zontar said:

Get a stadium built first. A ton of assumptions being made. Rug could be pulled out at any time.

That seems highly unlikely. Keep in mind this sort of thing doesn't just happen overnight; it takes time.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/halifax-cfl-proponents-now-selling-swag-proposed-atlantic-schooners/

...more than 6,000 season-ticket applications had been sold, and that plans for a stadium would soon be unveiled.

...Schooners Sports and Entertainment, along with key stakeholders, will be engaging the community this month (mid-January) as it pertains to the proposed stadium and next steps.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

That seems highly unlikely. Keep in mind this sort of thing doesn't just happen overnight; it takes time.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/halifax-cfl-proponents-now-selling-swag-proposed-atlantic-schooners/

This is the city that rejected hosting the Commonwealth Games and tore down a statue of its founder . The people behind the bid might have their ducks in row with nice pictures and charts but it's the politicians  who control the money.