Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

9 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Probably but they still have the offseason to find someone.

Pickings seem to be lean. We may be thanking our lucky stars we have Nichols if attracting top flight qbs to our league becomes an issue because of the lack of a CBA as well as the new pro leagues starting up.  Saskatchewan & Calgary could be in real trouble. 

top flight QB's will not go to the new leagues though...why take a huge hit in pay to play in an inferior product with tons of uncertainty...and then if things fold up, and teams here already have a good portion of their SMS accounted for.. some would be signing back for a huge cut in pay...

If anything save for hamilton right now...and most likely Ottawa....every team is looking at huge question marks and unknowns at the QB position and you could have 3 or 4 teams all fighting over Reilly..Jennings...and maybe Lulay as guys who are starting calibre..)i'm assuming BLM will be getting at the least a TC look somewhere).two of which are big questions marks in themselves as well. and ol Kevin Glenn could be a hot commodity as messed up as that is...we are sitting prety good when you look at the whole picture QB wise and I wouldn't trade our situatin for anyones right now

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Pickings seem to be lean. We may be thanking our lucky stars we have Nichols if attracting top flight qbs to our league becomes an issue because of the lack of a CBA as well as the new pro leagues starting up.  Saskatchewan & Calgary could be in real trouble. 

Lean is an understatement, a CFL rookie QB coming into the league won't make a lick of difference in his first year and only a small dent in his second.  Cgy. better hope they can get their hands on a veteran castoff and reinvigorate him if they want to be in the running for a playoff spot come Oct.

22 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Lean is an understatement, a CFL rookie QB coming into the league won't make a lick of difference in his first year and only a small dent in his second.  Cgy. better hope they can get their hands on a veteran castoff and reinvigorate him if they want to be in the running for a playoff spot come Oct.

I would think that if Bo goes to the nfl there will be a lineup of second rate qbs like Jennings and Collaras begging Calgary to sign them. They could really restablish their value in the system and supporting cast.

40 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

Reinbold and Washington done in BC?

It appears Claybrooks has cleared the deck of all existing coaches including 15 year Lion coach Dan Dorazio as well.

"Also not being offered contracts for 2019: defensive coordinator Mark Washington, special teams coordinator Jeff Reinebold linebackers coach Chris Tormey, defensive line coach Randy Melvin, assistant defensive backs coach Stanley Franks and running backs coach Mike Lionello."

http://3downnation.com/2018/12/13/washington-reinebold-dorazio-not-returning-b-c-lions-staff/

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It appears Claybrooks has cleared the deck of all existing coaches including 15 year Lion coach Dan Dorazio as well.

"Also not being offered contracts for 2019: defensive coordinator Mark Washington, special teams coordinator Jeff Reinebold linebackers coach Chris Tormey, defensive line coach Randy Melvin, assistant defensive backs coach Stanley Franks and running backs coach Mike Lionello."

http://3downnation.com/2018/12/13/washington-reinebold-dorazio-not-returning-b-c-lions-staff/

I guess good ole Jeff will have to search for a full time gig on Sky Sports.

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎13 at 11:12 AM, bearpants said:

Did I miss something?... I thought Stubler was already confirmed on Claybrooks' staff...

He did the same thing to O'Shea remember? Agreed to come here but signed elsewhere. And he pulled a fast one on Dickenson in 2015 when he left the Stamps in a huff (pardon the pun) because he didn't want to work under the rookie HC. I think Stubler felt Hufnagel should have made him the Stamps HC.  Dickenson was going to keep him as his DC but he resigned & joined the Argos as soon as the announcement was made.