Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

11 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

CFLVerified account @CFL 16m16 minutes ago

The @TorontoArgos have their new Head Coach! Corey Chamblin has been named the #Argos new bench boss. FULL DETAILS | http://on.cfl.ca/FUYe30mVBjn  #PullTogether

Not a bad choice considering they were rejected by Orlondo, Lapo, and Claybrooks.  He has a ring and will certainly make things more uncomfortable for players not giving their all. 

37 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Not a bad choice considering they were rejected by Orlondo, Lapo, and Claybrooks.  He has a ring and will certainly make things more uncomfortable for players not giving their all. 

You're making some big assumptions there.

Facts as per TSN/Twitter:

Nov 30 - Claybrooks Interview. Argos and Lions ask permission to speak to Steinauer, not sure if it was granted for either.

Dec 1 - PLAP Interview

Dec 3 - Steinauer signs with Ticats as HC and Chamblin interview... later he is at the Raptors game with Argo upper management.

Dec 4 - PLAP 'withdraws'

Maybe Steinhauer chose the Ticats over the Argos. Maybe the Argos didn't even get to interview him. Maybe they interviewed him and didn't choose him.

Maybe Claybrooks rejected the Argos or maybe they didn't choose him after the interview.

Maybe LAPO got an offer or maybe he bowed out when he saw the Argos level of interest in Chamblin was higher than their interest in him.

27 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

was just mentioned on TSN radio that Claybrooks signed in BC, but not seeing anything official yet.

http://3downnation.com/2018/12/10/lions-agree-terms-devone-claybrooks-become-head-coach/

Interesting new twist.

"The Virginia native was under contract with the Stamps through the 2019 season, which means the Lions have to pay half of his salary to Calgary that counts against the Lions non-football cap."

by taking a promotion elsewhere, aren't you essentially backing out of your contract??  seems like there shouldn't be anything payable to Claybrooks from Calgary if he's waiving that contract.  Doesn't make sense that he'd have a contract with Stamps and the Lions for 2019.  Compensation should be there for sure, but it doesn't make sense that you'd be paying half a contract that would be voided.    Isn't it usually compensation like a draft pick that teams would give up??

1 minute ago, trueBlue83 said:

by taking a promotion elsewhere, aren't you essentially backing out of your contract??  seems like there shouldn't be anything payable to Claybrooks from Calgary if he's waiving that contract.  Doesn't make sense that he'd have a contract with Stamps and the Lions for 2019.  Compensation should be there for sure, but it doesn't make sense that you'd be paying half a contract that would be voided.    Isn't it usually compensation like a draft pick that teams would give up??

The Lions are compensating the Stamps for allowing him to break the contract an leave.  In theory, they could have said "non" and that would have ended it. Think of this as a cancellation fee.

3 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

The Lions are compensating the Stamps for allowing him to break the contract an leave.  In theory, they could have said "non" and that would have ended it. Think of this as a cancellation fee.

Oh I get the premise, I just don't think the way 3downnation worded it is factual.  There wouldn't be 2 contracts in place for next season, so you can't pay a value of something that's null & void.  Call it what it is, it's a poaching penalty!

6 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

Oh I get the premise, I just don't think the way 3downnation worded it is factual.  There wouldn't be 2 contracts in place for next season, so you can't pay a value of something that's null & void.  Call it what it is, it's a poaching penalty!

It wouldn't be poaching.  The Lions had to ask permission to talk with him and the Stamps had to grant it.  I think that it's reasonable for a team, if they want someone off of another team's staff, to pay the other club.  Don't see anything wrong with this at all.

47 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

It wouldn't be poaching.  The Lions had to ask permission to talk with him and the Stamps had to grant it.  I think that it's reasonable for a team, if they want someone off of another team's staff, to pay the other club.  Don't see anything wrong with this at all.

I guess this goes back to the Noel Thorpe signing in Edm. and the rules the league put in place at that time, I thought this was something new.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Stubler is washed up - bad move

Chiu is a good OL coach

I'm pretty sure he'll be asking Stubler to implement his defensive strategies... he'll likely be very hands on with the D... the bigger concern is he'll need to find a good OC sine he basically has no offensive history...

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Rich Stubler, Bryan Chiu and Nik Lewis joing Claybrooks staff

In the feed it reports his role is still unclear but  assume Nik Lewis receivers coach? I also wonder if his coaching persona will be the same as his playing persona? Hope it is because it will be good for the league.

Edited by HardCoreBlue