Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

I seem to remember when they announced that this cap was coming back early in the season that all of the teams were consulted, and the number they came to was based on an average of what all teams were spending.  We're seeing a few teams drop coaches who were likely the above average spend teams, while the rest of the league is quiet because they are at or below the average.

50 minutes ago, jazzsax said:

So basically an average of $100K per position. 

Gonna see alot of people go south, especially on the scouting side. 

Chris Jones eats up a big piece of the riders costs.

Happy with this. Just means the riders can be stupid, and get worse as the years go on!

yeah...but of that 105k per over 25 people...14 work in admin/support..and make probably in the 40 to 50k range save for Walters and the 2 assistant G.M's...Miller is probably not part of that cap...or shouldn't be.

so around 900k is probably all you would need for that leaving ballpark 1.68 miliion for 11 coaches if you choose to have 11...and most positional coaches/ST coordinators rarely make 100k or more...so thee is ample $$ to spread around...a smart well organized team can run well withing these limits....tho personally I don't see the need for it to be implemented

27 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I can see this cap being a positive. If you have to bring in some younger less experienced coaches you might get some real nice innovation. A young guy trying to make his name in the business will be more will to experiment and create something brand new as opposed to a older more established coach.

But it will be hard to keep them, once they've developed and the NCAA, AAFL, XFL, TTTTFL, $%&FL, etc. come calling. 

2 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

The CFL has trouble recruiting coaches from Cdn University and NCAA because of poor pay and poor job security.....never mind the poor exchange rate.

Yes this applies to older guys with more experience. There is a lot of U sport or lower level NCAA coaches making far less that kill for opportunities in a professional league.

21 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No benefits either & no pension plan. 

CFL should focus on hiring Canadians.  The problem with hiring Americans is that health care is a thing down there.  Coaches living year-round in Canada don't have to worry about it.  Plus I think the NCAA would be less likely to poach Canadian coaches.  When they poach a CFL coach it's typically a situation where the guy was a known commodity as a player south of the line before coming to the CFL.

Fears over this football operations cap I think are overblown.  Its affecting a couple teams who were overspending because they could.  Meantime teams like Calgary who are better run don't seem to have any issues.  You gotta develop coaches yourself so you always have a up and comer available when you lose a coach.  I remember when Calgary lost Rich Stubler and there was some concern.  Claybrooks ended up being cheaper and better.

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think Claybrooks won't be as smart next season as HC. Not because he suddenly got stupid but because a football IQ has more to do with the talent he has around him as a coach. Definitely a dip in the talent pool  from Calgary to BC.

I'm curious if you posting this in italics makes it more or less important.... 

The difficulty in elevating assistants or co ordinators to head coaches is the fact that head coaching is completely different in terms of your roll and responsibilities. It is difficult to predict how an individual will respond to that new roll. Dickenson had the benefit of transitioning from QB....clearly needing the ability to formulate, conceptualize, construct and execute an offence and then work his way up to becoming a head coach. It will be interesting to see what transpires in Hamilton, B.C. and Toronto next season. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm curious if you posting this in italics makes it more or less important.... 

I hit something to make it italics. Other than that, I stand by what I said. I think Claybrooks will find being a HC is a lot different than a DC. He only has coached for a short period of time with just one team. And his defense was surrounded by great talent. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach but I'm saying he may not be ready to be a HC. 

17 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

CFL should focus on hiring Canadians.  The problem with hiring Americans is that health care is a thing down there.  Coaches living year-round in Canada don't have to worry about it.  Plus I think the NCAA would be less likely to poach Canadian coaches.  When they poach a CFL coach it's typically a situation where the guy was a known commodity as a player south of the line before coming to the CFL.

Fears over this football operations cap I think are overblown.  Its affecting a couple teams who were overspending because they could.  Meantime teams like Calgary who are better run don't seem to have any issues.  You gotta develop coaches yourself so you always have a up and comer available when you lose a coach.  I remember when Calgary lost Rich Stubler and there was some concern.  Claybrooks ended up being cheaper and better.

Stubler & Claybrooks are Americans. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Stubler & Claybrooks are Americans. 

I know. I’m not suggesting that the cfl exclusively hire Canadians. But just do more of it.  When you need to find a coach and haven’t developed one maybe look to the cis rather than ncaa. At least they will have a strong familiarity with the Canadian game coming in. And whether or not the ncaa offer health insurance is s non-issue 

Edited by Colin Unger

2 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I know. I’m not suggesting that the cfl exclusively hire Canadians. But just do more of it.  When you need to find a coach and haven’t developed one maybe look to the cis rather than ncaa. At least they will have a strong familiarity with the Canadian game coming in. And whether or not the ncaa offer health insurance is s non-issue 

There are a few good Canadian coaches that should be in the CFL. I think it's difficult to find qualified guys as they are probably coaching in U Sports where things may be a bit more secure. Usually Canadian coaches start in the CFL as Running Back Coach & move up from there. Some of them only last a couple of seasons & are released for whatever reason. With the new salary cap expect to see even less. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

There is a junior football coach here in Calgary who is the OC of the Calgary Colts. Adam Blassetti has a wealth of experience coaching at the highest levels in Canada.  He coached at SFU when my son was there doing the OL. Tyler said he did a great job but was let go when HC Jacques Chapdelaine suddenly quit the team after just one season. Before he went to SFU, he also was a guest OL coach with the Als during training camp for 2 successive years. He also coached 1 year with the Lions full time as Running Backs Coach. He was so happy Wally hired him as a member of his Lions staff & thought he'd be there for awhile. Then just a year later during training camp, Wally suddenly fired him with no warning & he was replaced with no real explanation as to why. Now, Adam's back with the Colts where he started a number of years ago. He never had a chance to develop as a CFL assistant coach plus he was coaching out of his natural position.  So it really is a baptism by fire to be a Canadian coach in the CFL. There is absolutely no job security like there may be in U Sports.  How many qualified Canadian coaches are willing to coach in the CFL for low pay, long hours, no benefits & no job security? 

22 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There is a junior football coach here in Calgary who is the OC of the Calgary Colts. Adam Blassetti has a wealth of experience coaching at the highest levels in Canada.  He coached at SFU when my son was there doing the OL. Tyler said he did a great job but was let go when HC Jacques Chapdelaine suddenly quit the team after just one season. Before he went to SFU, he also was a guest OL coach with the Als during training camp for 2 successive years. He also coached 1 year with the Lions full time as Running Backs Coach. He was so happy Wally hired him as a member of his Lions staff & thought he'd be there for awhile. Then just a year later during training camp, Wally suddenly fired him with no warning & he was replaced with no real explanation as to why. Now, Adam's back with the Colts where he started a number of years ago. He never had a chance to develop as a CFL assistant coach plus he was coaching out of his natural position.  So it really is a baptism by fire to be a Canadian coach in the CFL. There is absolutely no job security like there may be in U Sports.  How many qualified Canadian coaches are willing to coach in the CFL for low pay, long hours, no benefits & no job security? 

There are usually 2 coaches who get paid on U Sports staffs.  The rest of the guys work a full-time job and then come on campus and coach at night.  I know a few guys who have been doing that for decades.

35 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

There are usually 2 coaches who get paid on U Sports staffs.  The rest of the guys work a full-time job and then come on campus and coach at night.  I know a few guys who have been doing that for decades.

Yeah, these guys have full time jobs & coach. Blasetti quit his job to coach with the Lions. Then suddenly found himself without a job a year later.  I also know a former OC in the CFL who now lives in the US. He coached a number of years on 3 different CFL teams  but was fired.  He's in his late 50's & would be a great addition to a lot of CFL staffs. He told me that he's no longer interested in the CFL as he says it's too volatile. Working as a college coach in the NCAA. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27