Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

42 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

David William NaylorVerified account @TSNDaveNaylor 54s55 seconds ago

Hearing Winnipeg OC Paul LaPolice has withdrawn from the head coach search in Toronto. Apparently, didn’t feel it was right fit given need to retain multiple members of existing staff. #CFL #Argos #Bombers

I don't think it matters. He didn't have a realistic chance of getting an offer anyway.

13 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't think it matters. He didn't have a realistic chance of getting an offer anyway.

???

Do you work for Argos management?.... there's no possible way you could have any knowledge of who they are considering in their HC search... just b/c you don't like the guy doesn't mean no other team is willing to give him a job...

32 minutes ago, bearpants said:

???

Do you work for Argos management?.... there's no possible way you could have any knowledge of who they are considering in their HC search... just b/c you don't like the guy doesn't mean no other team is willing to give him a job...

You have to understand TBurg logic. Lapo is a Bombers staffer therefore he sucks and no other team would seriously consider him for a position. They don't call Wpg "The Ol Resume Stain" for nothin, you see........ /TBurg 

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

You have to understand TBurg logic. Lapo is a Bombers staffer therefore he sucks and no other team would seriously consider him for a position. They don't call Wpg "The Ol Resume Stain" for nothin, you see........ /TBurg 

Unless someone were to hire Lapolice, in which case he automatically was too good for Winnipeg and we were fools to let him get away. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Yeah, pretty sure the Argos wouldn't bring him in if he had to chance. 

It's incredible how much knowledge and football expertise there is toiling away on this site, not earning a paycheque in the CFL. A real untapped resource. 

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

???

I guess the Argos are in the business of flying people to town, interviewing them, probably wining and dining them just for shits and giggles. Who knew?

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yeah, pretty sure the Argos wouldn't bring him in if he had to chance. 

It's incredible how much knowledge and football expertise there is toiling away on this site, not earning a paycheque in the CFL. A real untapped resource. 

I think what I find most interesting with Lapo pulling his name was the reason he did it, that he would have had to retain some existing Argo's staff (if the sources are in fact reliable).

I completely understand why a new Head Coach would want  the ability to surround himself with the people he believes will bring the team success and match his coaching philosophy . However,  another way to interpret that reason is the knock Lapo has had over the years, that knock being his control issues, as in this is how things will go with little iterations. If this knock is true he has to learn he doesn't always need to be right and he doesn't always need to be the smartest guy in the room.  

11 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I think what I find most interesting with Lapo pulling his name was the reason he did it, that he would have had to retain some existing Argo's staff (if the sources are in fact reliable).

I completely understand why a new Head Coach would want  the ability to surround himself with the people he believes will bring the team success and match his coaching philosophy . However,  another way to interpret that reason is the knock Lapo has had over the years, that knock being his control issues, as in this is how things will go with little iterations. If this knock is true he has to learn he doesn't always need to be right and he doesn't always need to be the smartest guy in the room.  

I think that not giving the HC the ability to pick his staff is a huge red flag that had nothing to do about being right, or the smartest guy in the room.  It may have more to do with having the freedom to do what you feel is right without having upper management second guessing.  You are either in charge or you are not, and if they won't let you be in charge of hiring your own staff, what else are they going to decide for you? 

21 Hours ago - Argos interviewing Chamblin for head coach - TSN
19 Hours ago - Chamblin sits court side at Raptors game with Argos GM Jim Popp
3 Hours ago - Out of the running Bombers offensive coordinator Paul La Police - TSN/Naylor

IMO That means that PLAP was out of the running at least 21 hours ago and didn't get an offer from the Argos.

18 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

21 Hours ago - Argos interviewing Chamblin for head coach - TSN
19 Hours ago - Chamblin sits court side at Raptors game with Argos GM Jim Popp
3 Hours ago - Out of the running Bombers offensive coordinator Paul La Police - TSN/Naylor

IMO That means that PLAP was out of the running at least 21 hours ago and didn't get an offer from the Argos.

Yeah, a Twitter timeline is a clear indication of what happens behind closed doors.

- Nobody Ever