Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

26 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I want to know more if there is a story here for sure. I don't like things getting ignored or swept under rug at all.  I'd just like to see mainstream media pick it up and see if its a story. I'm not going either way on this, just not sure this is credible. 

I have to agree with you. After Googling I could find no further reference to this story.

Ticats are going to be the real deal next year...  June Jones runs a really nice offence but his head coaching decisions were just unbelievably bad - like he lost them 2-3 games just on his own confusion

Pretty sure Toronto would have lured Steinhauer if this move wasn't made...

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

Its pretty well known that a lot of people don't like Jones. I don't think however anyone should be able to just report things like this without any proof.  If there is more to this, then I want to hear all about it.

Do not underestimate the will and ability of organizations to squelch news such as this. All you need do is look at the Paterno mess etc etc etc. You can even generalize it into the business, entertainment and political realm. If true, and I want to emphasize this, I cannot imagine how damaging this would be to a community-owned and run enterprise like the Riders which is so woven into the cultural life of the province. I worked for an organization who sheltered a sexual predator- the staff and management knew but perp was wired into the the "in crowd" and it took a flagrant incident and another vulnerable victim to get him fired.

now that the Stamps have released Mathews to pursue NFL interest, Walters should be in his ear letting it be known that if it doesn't pan out...he has a pail of cash waiting for him and the opportunity to be "the guy" in the offence....he more than showed he still has it, and would be a huge difference maker

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

That all depends on whether Masoli has another level or not. Dude is pretty inconsistent which is why the ticats are inconsistent.

Unlike Harris, Collaros, Manziel, Franklin, Jennings... and to some extent Reilly and Nichols...?  Masoli is as legit as you can ever hope for  - BLM doesn't show up everyday

June Jones literally lost games that Masoli had won...  they're a good OC/QB team though

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

now that the Stamps have released Mathews to pursue NFL interest, Walters should be in his ear letting it be known that if it doesn't pan out...he has a pail of cash waiting for him and the opportunity to be "the guy" in the offence....he more than showed he still has it, and would be a huge difference maker

that was my thought, too....if he has any interest in playing CFL again for any reason, it should be in Wpg. He could be a huge star and the perfect #1 guy in the offense...

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that was my thought, too....if he has any interest in playing CFL again for any reason, it should be in Wpg. He could be a huge star and the perfect #1 guy in the offense...

No need, they signed this guy.

WPG ADD  INT Evan CLARK (WR)    Saint John's

Nov. 28 transactions.

WPG ADD  INT Darvin ADAMS (WR)    Auburn *

WPG ADD  NAT Johnny AUGUSTINE (RB)    Guelph

WPG ADD  INT Bryan BENNETT (QB)    Southeastern Louisiana *

WPG ADD  INT Brandin BRYANT (DL)    Florida Atlantic *

WPG ADD  INT Evan CLARK (WR)    Saint John’s

WPG ADD  NAT Abubakar CONTEH  (DB)    Grambling State *

WPG ADD  INT Chandler FENNER (DB)    Holy Cross *

WPG ADD  INT Manase FOKETI (OL)    West Texas A&M *

WPG ADD  NAT Geoff GRAY (OL)    Manitoba *

WPG ADD  NAT Andrew HARRIS (RB)    Nanaimo Raiders Jr. *

WPG ADD  NAT Derek JONES (DB)    Simon Fraser *

WPG ADD  NAT Patrick NEUFELD (OL)    Saskatchewan *

WPG ADD  INT Matt NICHOLS (QB)    Eastern Washington *

WPG ADD  NAT Daniel PETERMANN (WR)    McMaster *

WPG ADD  INT Chris RANDLE (DB)    Utah State *

WPG ADD  INT Craig ROH (DE)    Michigan *

WPG ADD  NAT Rashaun SIMONISE (WR)    Calgary *

WPG ADD  NAT Cody SPELLER (OL)    McMaster *

WPG ADD  INT Kenbrell THOMPKINS (WR)    Cincinnati *

WPG ADD FROM ACTIVEXX INT Patrick CHOUDJA (DL)    Nevada

WPG ADD FROM ACTIVEXX INT Joseph ESTE (DB)    Tennessee Martin

WPG ADD FROM ACTIVEXX INT Kenny LAWLER (WR)    California

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

25 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Unlike Harris, Collaros, Manziel, Franklin, Jennings... and to some extent Reilly and Nichols...?  Masoli is as legit as you can ever hope for  - BLM doesn't show up everyday

June Jones literally lost games that Masoli had won...  they're a good OC/QB team though

Well the sad fact is there are really only 2 qbs you can rely on in the CFL right now, Reilly and BLM. That doesn't suddenly make Masoli consistent. 

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Don't want to read too much into this but they also signed Speller and left Spooner off the list.

Yeah find that kind of interesting..Either Spooner really regressed, or didn't progress, or he is signing in the new year...none the less though...if Speller is better then makes sense to keep the best regardless where drafted...and if we hang on to all our o-line guys we have ample depth anyway and is of least of Managements concerns.

6 hours ago, Ripper said:

I want to know more if there is a story here for sure. I don't like things getting ignored or swept under rug at all.  I'd just like to see mainstream media pick it up and see if its a story. I'm not going either way on this, just not sure this is credible. 

As much as I dislike how Jones coaches, I'm with you on credibility, something smells funny about the original source. Poorly written with no meat behind it. 

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Both Calgary and Hamilton had to deal with their receiving corps being decimated.....Calgary still managed to win the GC....Hamilton should benefit with a HC with a greater understanding of the Canadian game and an OC that can focus on offence.

My choice would have been to move Jones right out the door. Was never enamoured with his offense.  Seemed to be to easy to stop by quality defenses. Looked like gangbusters against crap ones and that's what too many fans and media went ga-ga over.

This is for Zontar as the 2018 Discussion Thread has been closed. Inerested in reading your comments. I think Orlando Steinhauerwas promoted by the Ti Cats to HC because I think the Argos were about to make him their HC.  It was either promote him or lose him. Very similar situation to the Stamps when John Hufnagel suddenly stepped aside & promoted Dave Dickenson to HC.  They were going to lose Dickenson & Hufnagel knew this so he stepped aside even though he wanted to coach one more season. 

BTW, I think Steinhauer may be the most ready CFL assistant to become a HC. I think he's been ready for years.  He had success in the CFL as Cats DC & then in the NCAA.  he knows the organization, city & players on the Ti cats so I think it'll be a great fit.

I think he's more ready than Claybrooks who has benefitted from his time with the Stamps as D Line Coach & DC. But he's always had the talent around him as a Stamps assistant. Plus, the only team he's ever coached is Calgary. He never coached in another organization. Can he turn around a losing team without Dickenson or Hufnagel there with him calling the shots? He has done well as the Stamps DC but he'll have  to be able to do a lot more than that to make a losing team a winner. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

15 hours ago, Booch said:

Hopefully the fact we are bringing Augustine back is at the expense of Lafrance...not needed here...and not worth his salary

He always left you wanting more. He would make a play here and there, but no sustained success. 

32 minutes ago, Ripper said:

He always left you wanting more. He would make a play here and there, but no sustained success. 

he left me wanting anything..never mind more hahaha...he sure cashed in on his one snow game performance pretty well for the last 2 years tho