game thread grey cup

Mark F

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

That was due to the natural turf. They replaced it a few years ago now. They can't use that as an excuse. Should have spent some money on a heating system under it.

you have to be joking... they said on the pregame show it's because the field wasn't levelled properly and the drainage is poor.    In ground heat for 1 game a year MAX.... pretty sure the cost of that would have been a big No right away.

24 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

you have to be joking... they said on the pregame show it's because the field wasn't levelled properly and the drainage is poor.    In ground heat for 1 game a year MAX.... pretty sure the cost of that would have been a big No right away.

A heated pad that big would be great for outdoor concerts in cooler weather.

25 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

I'm not joking. It wouldn't have been that much. It really isn't that big of an issue to install before they laid the turf down. But sure, cheap out...it obviously didn't hurt the game or the image of that stadium in anyway. 

I'm not joking. It wouldn't have been that much. It really isn't that big of an issue to install before they laid the turf down. But sure, cheap out...it obviously didn't hurt the game or the image of that stadium in anyway. 

watch them install some kind of heating system and end up electrocuting half the players...

So how much?  I'm imagining you have some insight as to the cost of such a system if you're saying it's "not that much"! 

41 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I know the exact amount. Down to the square foot. But I'm not telling!!!

To do the playing field would be just under 88,000 square feet.   I can't imagine the cost of installation, but then there would be operational costs too.  I'm thinking that your understanding of "not that much" must be very different than mine.

14 minutes ago, Scorch said:

Nice photo of the crowd

sure looks like “The level of blah in Calgary is at a level I've never seen before” 

it is at a level of blah in Calgary.  I get that your are a fan of the Stamps but I am not, so I am just telling you my impression.  You can say I'm wrong, and I'll just agree to disagree with you.  Are you guys going to build a new stadium anytime soon?  You've got the oldest stadium by far now.  Or is the level of blah so big that no one cares?

Edited by kelownabomberfan

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

it is at a level of blah in Calgary.  I get that your are a fan of the Stamps but I am not, so I am just telling you my impression.  You can say I'm wrong, and I'll just agree to disagree with you.  Are you guys going to build a new stadium anytime soon?  You've got the oldest stadium by far now.  Or is the level of blah so big that no one cares?

Take it from a guy who’s attended in person for both the Grey Cup rallies in 2014 and this year, there’s more than twice the turnout at City Hall than 4 years ago. More Calgarians care, it’s just Calgarians you don’t know.

Yeah I’m a fan, but you’re just spouting absolute nonsense about another fanbase’s attendance and apathy. You’re not even in Calgary, you’re just getting second hand information from a couple so called Stamps fans, When the proof is in the photos in the tweet you’ve just posted, you’re just talking out of your ass.

Incase you haven’t been following the news from the past few years, there’s been massive job losses in Calgary and Alberta. A new stadium is something Calgarians can’t afford at the moment

53 minutes ago, Scorch said:

Take it from a guy who’s attended in person for both the Grey Cup rallies in 2014 and this year, there’s more than twice the turnout at City Hall than 4 years ago. More Calgarians care, it’s just Calgarians you don’t know.

Great - I will take it from random internet guy that there was twice the turnout.  That could mean you and one other guy as opposed to just you.  Whatever.  If it's just all the Calgarians I know who don't care anymore, that is fine, and if that lets you sleep at night, even better.

Yeah I’m a fan, but you’re just spouting absolute nonsense about another fanbase’s attendance and apathy.

No I'm actually not.  You just don't want to hear it.  Fine.  Don't listen then.  The ignore feature is awesome.

You’re not even in Calgary, you’re just getting second hand information from a couple so called Stamps fans, When the proof is in the photos in the tweet you’ve just posted, you’re just talking out of your ass.

Talk out of your own ass jerk-off.  Why is it that a lot of other teams' fans who come on here have to be such gi-normous ******-bags.  Unbelievable.

Incase you haven’t been following the news from the past few years, there’s been massive job losses in Calgary and Alberta. A new stadium is something Calgarians can’t afford at the moment

That's just excuse-making.  So why wasn't a stadium built when things were going well?  Regina and Winnipeg have much smaller economies and they were able to pull together as communities and get beautiful facilities built. Something to be proud of.  Calgary just won the Grey Cup!  This is a perfect time to start on a new campaign to start building a stadium, using the same models as Winnipeg used.  Make the Stamps pay back part of the loan!  Use some freaking imagination instead of wallowing in self-pity, and crying on other teams' fan forums about how non apathetic your apathetic city is.  It's just sad.

I've learned that Calgary are a bunch of whiners. They want some mythical oil tycoon to come along and build everything for them. Sometimes you've gotta band together and make it happen. Voting no to the Olys, which could have provided funding for facility builds was beyond asinine.

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

I've learned that Calgary are a bunch of whiners. They want some mythical oil tycoon to come along and build everything for them. Sometimes you've gotta band together and make it happen. Voting no to the Olys, which could have provided funding for facility builds was beyond asinine.

They were not even going to get a new stadium out of the deal. In fact, voting "no", may be good news in getting a stadium built. 

Who would given them money to build a stadium when they're pouring billions into the Games? 

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

The Olympics suck & are nothing but a 2 - 3 week money pit. 

9 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Our level of blah goes back to the level of blah our mayor is & his lack of enthusiasm for a new stadium.  Nenshi is a tool. 

11 hours ago, JCon said:

They were not even going to get a new stadium out of the deal. In fact, voting "no", may be good news in getting a stadium built. 

Who would given them money to build a stadium when they're pouring billions into the Games? 

No they won't build a new stadium, for the same reasons they wouldn't get the Olymics. No one wants to do anything in this city. 

"but muh property taxes!!11!" is the common refrain, as if taxes aren't going to go up an ******* regardless. This city is too big and has to service a larger area so taxes always go up. 

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Our level of blah goes back to the level of blah our mayor is & his lack of enthusiasm for a new stadium.  Nenshi is a tool. 

all of the city-builders responsible for so much in Calgary are dead.  And no one seems to be stepping up to take their place.  Clay Riddell was the last one.  And you are right about Nenshi, when I saw Nenshi holding the Cup over his head in a Stamps sweater at the 2014 Grey Cup for his photo op I shouted "Be a real fan and build your city a new stadium!!!!"

Edited by kelownabomberfan

20 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That's pretty much it. All the old school philanthropists are gone, now it's only about "got mine, **** you" 

Who is left?  Murray Edwards?  Any of the old guys still alive?  They were the ones making the city hum when I lived there.  Seaman, Riddell, Kwong, Scurfield, McCaig….