This Regime

BBlink

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

He keeps putting up double digits in wins a season I'll give him a lot more time. 

He is flat out the best head coach this team has had since Dave Ritchie and he's done it with the safest most boring coordinators going. I got lots of patience for O'Shea cause these teams are fun teams to watch when for the better part of the last 20 years we've watched some absolute horseshit teams. 

I would argue O'Shea is directly responsible for Hall and Lapo still being here. His loyal to a fault character is going to be his undoing. We already know he took on more defensive responsibility which probably saved Hall from getting the ax. Hall did seemingly turn it around but Lapo's offense has been hot trash and whether its him or Nichols not being able to execute it who knows. But O'Shea seems to always be there to fall on a sword for someone. For all we know Walters was talked out of any changes by O'Shea. In fact its probably likely. I have never seen a coach so adverse to change even when its painfully obvious changes need to be made. Sam Hurl comes to mind. It will cost him his job down the road. I have no doubt.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

You might wanna go ask some of the actual mafia before horning in on their brand........ and I ain't too sure the Bombers marketing people will want to own it. 

I'm not sure what gave you the impression that I think the Bombers should market this. When I said we should own it, I mean, we as a fan base, literally we.

4 minutes ago, White Out said:

I'm not sure what gave you the impression that I think the Bombers should market this. When I said we should own it, I mean, we as a fan base, literally we.

When the fans come up with something unique and it takes off a teams marketing will generally jump on board ..... just like the banjo bowl......is the reason I posted,  just a comment. 

I personally won't be using the term "mafia" in anything Bomber related.

Sam hurl experiment was all on Richie hall - he was there when Taman drafted him

oshea and Walters deserve at least another year - it was frustrating mid season but osh’s loyalty got us to playoffs - whatever you think of it

Walters needs to show he can bring in a receiver - the end - no excuses left

51 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

His successes both in season and in the playoffs out weighed his failures. The same can't be said for MOS.

Sure it can.

"MOS' successes both in season and in the playoffs out weighed his failures." 

And I would totally have him back on a three year contract. He will be an elite Head Coach soon, I would hate that to happen if he was the Argos HC and not ours.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Bottom line is Ritchie took a stacked team to the Grey Cup and they were embarrassed by a significantly inferior opponent. He never took that stacked team there again despite going 12-6 and 11-7 in the two years that followed, winning just a single playoff game.

What's more successful about that? No championship is no championship and I don't see anyone bragging about playoff wins that didn't result in achieving the ultimate goal and ending this woefully pathetic drought.

Edited by blue_gold_84
clarification

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

You don't consider 2-5 as the start of the free fall? 🤣

I wouldn't have fired Richie when we did. His successes both in season and in the playoffs out weighed his failures. The same can't be said for MOS.

did Mike Oshea kick your dog or steal your wife...man you have a lot of serious unfounded hate going on for what has been a pretty good last 3 yrs worth of ball...team has progressed albeit without a cup yet...but if he was to be turfed...most is staff would be too...and most likely a lot of the character in the room with it...and you are back to square one..

This year was a pretty resounding success...survived the season with number one QB out to start the year...then a funk portion...and then a Playoff win on the road...and an almost second one for the taking ..again on the road...which history shows rarely happens...sustainable success and environment to maintain that..and re-load it is whats vital and key before all the fruits of that labour can be realized...and we are exactly at that point right now...and keeping things status quo from Miller on down right now will allow us to keep keeping on in that regard...But...and this is the key thing...if Walters can't bring in the talent at receiver this year to augment it and put us over the top...well then a switch in that position is a realistic change...and won't affect the culture or the environment thats been built

No QB, no backup QB, no O line, no Canadian depth, no Canadian draft, No MLB, no kicker, no free agents wanting to sign here, brutal coaching, a culture without any sense of purpose or drive, unmotivated players, and overall, an organization that was run like a cross between a gentleman's club....and Pop's soda shop

Some of us recall these sort of things .....

Edited by do or die

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

...But...and this is the key thing...if Walters can't bring in the talent at receiver this year to augment it and put us over the top...well then a switch in that position is a realistic change...and won't affect the culture or the environment thats been built

True this. If anyone is in the hot seat this year, I think it's Walters.

4 minutes ago, do or die said:

No QB, no backup QB, no O line, no Canadian depth, no Canadian draft, No MLB, no kicker, no free agents wanting to sign here, brutal coaching, a culture without any sense of purpose or drive, unmotivated players, and overall, an organization that was run like a cross between a gentleman's club....and Pop's soda shop

Some of us recall these sort of things .....

Oh snap. I thought you were talking about the riders.

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

This regime has been in place for 5 years. They own the record, just ask MOS.

Fans in Bomberland are so happy with MOS that they ignore how many years he's been a HC and pump up the in season wins, that got us 2nd once, 3rd twice and one playoff win. They say that changing poorly performing HC's hasn't got us a Grey Cup in 28 years and ignore the fact that keeping HC's for 5 or more years hasn't brought us one either.

Is MOS the coach to take us from poor to competitive? Absolutely. Is he the coach to take us the next step to being a Grey Cup contender? Maybe, but how long will it take at the current rate of improvement? 5 years for a playoff win. 6? for a  Grey Cup berth. 7? for a win. More? Less?

Looking at the last 2 or 3 years, your culture comment makes some sense. Including to first two where there was serious rebuilding to do, is just not credible. You can’t find bread to make toast with when the cupboard is bare. 

47 minutes ago, Booch said:

did Mike Oshea kick your dog or steal your wife...man you have a lot of serious unfounded hate going on for what has been a pretty good last 3 yrs worth of ball...team has progressed albeit without a cup yet...but if he was to be turfed...most is staff would be too...and most likely a lot of the character in the room with it...and you are back to square one..

This year was a pretty resounding success...survived the season with number one QB out to start the year...then a funk portion...and then a Playoff win on the road...and an almost second one for the taking ..again on the road...which history shows rarely happens...sustainable success and environment to maintain that..and re-load it is whats vital and key before all the fruits of that labour can be realized...and we are exactly at that point right now...and keeping things status quo from Miller on down right now will allow us to keep keeping on in that regard...But...and this is the key thing...if Walters can't bring in the talent at receiver this year to augment it and put us over the top...well then a switch in that position is a realistic change...and won't affect the culture or the environment thats been built

MOS didn't do any of those things. I don't hate him, either. The only thing I hold against him is his lack of post season success. Note that's not the same thing as lack of a Grey Cup win or 28 years without a cup to our name.

This years team was the first time in this regime that I thought we had the talent to be a Grey Cup contender on paper. Turned out we didn't, even though most things went our way. We went into the playoffs on a winning streak with an incredibly healthy team (Only 1 starter out), rested starters and we got to play a team who was missing their starting QB. Winning that game turned it into the most successful year of our current regime. Without that win, we'd have had a less successful year than last year. We'd be talking about less wins, no home playoff game, and another complete failure in the post season. I doubt MOS would have survived an o-fer in the playoffs after 5 years.

Firing MOS doesn't equal going back to square one, no matter how many times fans say it does. The core of this team and the locker room character is Harris, the O line and the Canadian content. None of that changes if MOS were to be fired. I'd happily trade some of the character in the room for post season successes.

Next years team will look quite different anyway. We'll lose some good players and pick up some good players. MOS doesn't change that, unless you believe that players are ONLY signing with Winnipeg because of MOS.

I fully expect MOS to be back. I expect that he will get a contract extension. I expect Nichols will be our starting QB and Streveler won't get as much playing time as he got this year unless Nichols is hurt again. I expect to see guys who are on our PR at the end of this year make it onto the team next year. I expect guys who get cut in TC being brought back later in the year. I expect the fans to talk about bringing in this or that player to help down the stretch. I expect to hear about how we like the players we have. I expect to have this argument again next year.

Edited by TBURGESS

17 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Next years team will look quite different anyway. We'll lose some good players and pick up some good players.

I expect to have this argument again next year.

Agree, and signing /recruiting in the areas we need to get over the top, will put Walters under the scope.......
Totally agree.....unless we win a cup - then you may find something else to argue with some folks, about.....

😏

Edited by do or die

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

You keep comparing MOS to Richie so lets 'go there'.

Richie's first 5 years... 1 3rd, 2 seconds and a 1st. Made the playoffs 4 out of 5 years. 7 playoff games. Lost 4. 1st playoff win in year 2. One Grey Cup appearance.

MOS's first 5 years... 2 3rds, 1 2nd, 0 1st. Made the playoffs 3 out of 5 years. 4 Playoff games. Lost 3. First playoff win in year 5. Zero Grey Cup appearances.

Richie got a 6th year. His 2-5 start and being fired doesn't help your patience argument.

Since Ritchie implies that Ritchie was still better, and that's not even getting into the power struggle that existed between Ritchie and Bauer that O'Shea doesn't have to deal with. 

O'Shea is a good coach, you want to use arbitrary things to judge that's fine, but everyone else can clearly see that O'Shea is a good coach and we'd be fools to turf him. He's gone a lot of good for this team and we're not seeing the regression that you need to see to fire a coach. 

Ritchie was already under some pressure - a losing record, with Bauer making noises about Dave being accountable (fall guy).  Ritchie let a lot of young guys ("young uns") languish on the bench, while publicly pleading with the under performing vets to right the ship......Bombers proceeded to go on a Calgary/Edmonton road trip and got totally blown up in embarrassing fashion.  That was the end.....

Edited by do or die

10 minutes ago, do or die said:

Ritchie was already under some pressure - a losing record, with Bauer making noises about Dave being accountable (fall guy).  Ritchie let a lot of young guys ("young uns") languish on the bench, while publicly pleading with the under performing vets to right the ship......Bombers proceeded to go on a Calgary/Edmonton road trip and got totally blown up in embarrassing fashion.  That was the end.....

If Ritchie had a budget/scouting staff... he would still be here

Or if khari Jones doesn’t get that shoulder injury...  

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

I expect Nichols will be our starting QB and Streveler won't get as much playing time as he got this year unless Nichols is hurt again.

If MOS was wise, he would give Streveler even more playing time next year (not counting the games Nichols was hurt). We could then slide Streveler into the starting role in 2020.