This Regime

BBlink

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I would take Trestman over mos in a heart beat. 

The offense and defense both showed enough at various points this year to keep the respective COs around. That said, we have limited ability to improve our talent from where we ended the season. A system change is our biggest hope at a major improvement. Its a huge risk though.

Until this year, I would have totally agreed with you, but he had a major meltdown in Toronto thus year. I would want to be sure that he had his poop together before I offered him a contract.

It hasn't been discussed because quite honestly it shouldn't even be a debate.

I would argue Mike O'Shea has been the best Bomber head coach since Dave Ritchie. Berry and LaPo each went to a Grey Cup but couldn't sustain success. Osh has missed out on a Grey Cup appearance - and that stung like crazy this year - but has coached a consistent winner. He's created a winning culture. He's created a team atmosphere where people want to come here and stay here. 

But let's not leave it at just a Bomber perspective. How many other coaches are better than O'Shea right now? I would argue there are maybe only two, and both are coaching this Sunday. In the West you've got Dickinson, Maas, Jones, and an empty BC spot. Dickinson is really the only one where I think you can put him above Osh. I'd take O'Shea over any of them. In the East you've got Campbell, Jones, Sherman and an empty Toronto spot. Campbell's team has had more success with Grey Cups, so I think putting him above Osh is fair. But honestly, I'd take O'Shea over all of them. The East/West divide is easily the biggest competitive advantage for Campbell.

Truly, if this league was just one big division I think the Bombers would've been in a Cup by now.

3 hours ago, AKAChip said:

Ottawa is the most overrated franchise in the league, Harris the most overrated QB (andnits not close) and Campbell the most overrated coach. Competing with Toronto and Montreal and playing both of them potentially an extra game makes a HUGE difference. Sure, they won a cup but that was after being gifted Burris after he was run out of Hamilton and they required a miracle Hail Mary to even be in the game in the first place. 

Masoli is by far the most overrated QB.

1 hour ago, trueBlue83 said:

http://3downnation.com/2018/11/12/looking-lions-long-free-agent-list/

Looks like he's under contract next season.... one guy who isn't though.  Oh it would be sweet to bring in Burnham!!

Interesting. I still make an assumption here that they won’t end up with Herdman, Bighill and Eliminian.  If they sign Bighill I think Eliminian would be released.

3 hours ago, Captain Blue said:

It hasn't been discussed because quite honestly it shouldn't even be a debate.

I would argue Mike O'Shea has been the best Bomber head coach since Dave Ritchie. Berry and LaPo each went to a Grey Cup but couldn't sustain success. Osh has missed out on a Grey Cup appearance - and that stung like crazy this year - but has coached a consistent winner. He's created a winning culture. He's created a team atmosphere where people want to come here and stay here. 

But let's not leave it at just a Bomber perspective. How many other coaches are better than O'Shea right now? I would argue there are maybe only two, and both are coaching this Sunday. In the West you've got Dickinson, Maas, Jones, and an empty BC spot. Dickinson is really the only one where I think you can put him above Osh. I'd take O'Shea over any of them. In the East you've got Campbell, Jones, Sherman and an empty Toronto spot. Campbell's team has had more success with Grey Cups, so I think putting him above Osh is fair. But honestly, I'd take O'Shea over all of them. The East/West divide is easily the biggest competitive advantage for Campbell.

Truly, if this league was just one big division I think the Bombers would've been in a Cup by now.

It's hard to evaluate Dickenson, he took over a winning team. He had to sustain what was already in place. O'Shea has had to redefine a culture and build something.  I loved Dickenson the QB, every time I hear Dickenson the coach on the sidelines I lose more and more respect for him.  I wouldn't want Dickenson, Maas or Jones over O'Shea.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I was trying to be light & breezy. Maybe a bit too much wind?

If I have over-reacted, I apologize, but this is a hot-button issue for me from a clinical point of view. In my practice, I have seen the effects of unresolved emotional trauma and how devastating it often is. 'Nuff said.

On 2018-11-20 at 11:30 AM, TBURGESS said:

A bunch of excuses then a dumb question, that I'll answer just cuz you asked...

Most folks around here want this regime to get more years because they took us from doormats to competitive. Just look at this thread if you want some examples. They, like you, make excuses for the losses and point to all the coulda shoulda woulda moments in games that caused us to lose and don't want to even hear about the other teams coulda woulda shoulda moments especially when we win. Management knows that if they just make the playoffs and maybe win a playoff game or two, then most fans will be satisfied. Keep everyone. We'll be better next year cuz consistency and patience will eventually get us there. 5 years so far and we've got a playoff win.

That's a fantastic arm chair QB way of looking at things. Both short sighted and ignorant. The "excuses" balance out over time. Wouldas/couldas/shouldas too. Completely irrelevant to both sides of the argument. You are right that most fans only want wins, playoff or otherwise. Which this regime has given them. More than most other regimes in recent memory. The other, I'd argue, almost more important aspect is the culture. I have no direct insight, but the rumors aren't a secret that WPG was at one time a last resort option for both players and coaches. Our past shows just how true those rumors could be. Now all reports show this has completely flipped. How many times during previous regimes did we hear about how great of a team/coaching staff/culture etc etc is here. I honestly can't recall hearing that as often as I have in the past two years. It's constantly talked about. That WILL and HAS brought players in. Players who have helped get the team to where it is.

Not winning the cup...which is one game...has as much to do with getting lucky as it does with being talented enough. Ask CGY. If it's used as the only measuring stick when looking at making serious changes, you will eventually end up with the mess the bombers are currently just getting out of. So sure, be smug and arrogant while you talk about how most fans/this regime only want one playoff win or regular season wins. It still won't change the facts, this team is one of the most successful in the CFL in damn near every category...I know, I know, except the only one that matters. But to be consistent, takes consistency. And with consistency both playoff and regular season wins will come.

I have to be honest, Dickensons tantrum and the fact our staff has earned the nickname "Canadian Mafia" has really endeared me in a strange way to our current regime. There's no denying that they've built a strong culture and you'd think that success can't be far off. We won a playoff game this year, and in SSK no less. That was good. But we all need more. A lot more. Not just a Cup appearance either. This team needs a championship.

On 2018-11-20 at 2:59 PM, bb1 said:

.500 record ...one playoff win against Brandon Bridge really ya wanna crow about that? Its ok one more year what difference does it make?

I forgot that it matters who is playing. You're right, they actually mark it down on the GC. 2017 Grey cup champions - TORONTO ARGOS *but they played against a far superior team who choked* that's what's marked down in the record books!! lol.

23 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I would take trestman over mos in a heart beat. 

The offense and defense both showed enough at various points this year to keep the respective COs around. That said, we have limited ability to improve our talent from where we ended the season. A system change is our biggest hope at a major improvement. Its a huge risk though.

HUH? Have you not seen the FA lists of every single team this year? Every team has a huge opportunity to improve their talent at basically every position.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

The other, I'd argue, almost more important aspect is the culture. 

I know, I know, except the only one that matters.

I agree.... It isn't the only one that matters.

Thanks for  your post.  I agree with you.

I was an O'Shea skeptic, but I am completely on his side now.  

He's not perfect, but there isn't a head coach in the CFL that I would rather have than Mike O'Shea.

Edited by Mark F