This Regime

BBlink

Interesting to me is that there aren't many posts calling for a regime change.  Our Grey Cup drought just ticked up another year and I would have imagined there would be.

I'd like to use this thread to discuss what people think on the matter.  By all accounts this regime inherited a bad team from top to bottom.  From there we had a couple of lean years as the team was overturned/built up.  And now we have a team that looks to be a "winning" team but just hasn't had much success in playoffs.  You could argue that we were improved this year by almost beating Calgary in their barn.

So the question...is the progress good enough?  Some call the CFL a re-loading league, in that you can go from 0-18 to a Grey Cup the next year.  Others would contest that it does take a while to build a consistent winner and that seems to be the course that we've taken.

I'll leave my opinion out of it for now and hear what you have to say.  What do you think of our GM/Scouting? What do yo think of our coaching staff?

Better Canadian content, better depth, better talent in trenches, better Canuck receivers, a young QB with actual promise.   With MOS we have been able to actually (and finally) attract free agents here, and players play hard for him.   Walters actually works on building things through draft.   That 4 game funk, cost us a home playoff game.

Still some flies in the ointment - the most glaring being recruitment at import R and need to get moving on Medlock replacement...

Edited by do or die

if anything with this regime..It will be Walters on thee hot seat this year...he needs to produce something dynamic on offence in regards to a receiver, as well as tighten up the Defensive back field...and be able to allow himself to have the ability...or the balls to grab a big time player late in season...which he has failed to do year after year...the rest of the staff/regime..I am fine with....and yes even Hall if the defense continues it's ways as it did the last 8-9 games...which I can't see it not doing.

This season all rides on Walters and his scouting staff...not the coaching staff unless they do some reeaaallly dumb things next year...which I don't see happening..ripping a regime and culture apart does nothing for immediate success...i think 3 straight double digit win seasons and ply-off appearances is proof in the pudding even though no cups...i guarantee you that if CGY loses the cup again..Huff..Dickenson and most of his staff other than Claybrooks if he gets an HC spot are back

We won less games this year than we did last year, even tho we had a better team on paper.

We didn't get a home playoff game.

We were 4th overall and 3rd in the West.

We played our best games during the stretch run, which hasn't happened for years.

We had one of, if not the, healthiest team going into the play offs. I'd guess, without checking, that we had the least number of man games lost to injury during the season.

We beat a Riders team who were forced to play their backup QB by 5 points in the semi and that backup QB missed 4 open receivers who were behind our defense.

We lost to a Stamps team with 4 injured starting receivers.

The progress has been painfully slow. It took 5 years to get a single playoff win, but that win saved MOS's job. Winnipeg Blue Bombers fans and management are happy with being a middle of the pack team that wins enough games to make it to the playoffs and who sometimes even wins a playoff game.

12 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

We won less games this year than we did last year, even tho we had a better team on paper. we also started the year with a rookie QB and played Nichols hurt

We didn't get a home playoff game. was a freak year with west teams getting so many win...and reference the above

We were 4th overall and 3rd in the West. Tho we had number 1 offence and arguably the number 2 defense....reference the above..anomaly year in the West

We played our best games during the stretch run, which hasn't happened for years. Agreed

We had one of, if not the, healthiest team going into the play offs. I'd guess, without checking, that we had the least number of man games lost to injury during the season.

We beat a Riders team who were forced to play their backup QB by 5 points in the semi and that backup QB missed 4 open receivers who were behind our defense. and we played an offense gameplan to not make errors and score enough to win..if we needed to open it up...most likely would have...smart coaching have

We lost to a Stamps team with 4 injured starting receivers. True...but Rogers..Mathews..Ambles I bet could start on any team in the league as well...no point to that

The progress has been painfully slow. It took 5 years to get a single playoff win, but that win saved MOS's job. Winnipeg Blue Bombers fans and management are happy with being a middle of the pack team that wins enough games to make it to the playoffs and who sometimes even wins a playoff game. says who?

Edited by Booch

Sounds like the same beefs year after year.  I have no concerns with Walters or O'Shea but the inability to find game changer players is a real concern and that lies at the feet of the scouts. And the scouts report to Walters.  But Walters has done enough in other areas to save his job.  But something has to change.  Recruiting US players is going to get even more difficult with the new spring league that this time seems to be legitimate and well funded. 

The best off season move would be Lapo securing a HC job somewhere but I just don't see that happening.         

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Says who?

If we start the 2019 season with essentially the same coaching staff, GM quarterbacks and receivers, the answer would be "yes", at least on the part of the Bomber brain trust. Close only counts in horseshoes and nuclear warfare.

Edited by Tracker

20 minutes ago, Booch said:

A bunch of excuses then a dumb question, that I'll answer just cuz you asked...

Most folks around here want this regime to get more years because they took us from doormats to competitive. Just look at this thread if you want some examples. They, like you, make excuses for the losses and point to all the coulda shoulda woulda moments in games that caused us to lose and don't want to even hear about the other teams coulda woulda shoulda moments especially when we win. Management knows that if they just make the playoffs and maybe win a playoff game or two, then most fans will be satisfied. Keep everyone. We'll be better next year cuz consistency and patience will eventually get us there. 5 years so far and we've got a playoff win.

Edited by TBURGESS

hardly an excuse...name a team that would go 3-0 in the first 3 games of the year with a QB straight out of college..with 3 weeks exposure to Canadian Ball...let alone a back-up who has been around a few years...I'd say no team in this league this year.

2 hours ago, Booch said:

hardly an excuse...name a team that would go 3-0 in the first 3 games of the year with a QB straight out of college..with 3 weeks exposure to Canadian Ball...let alone a back-up who has been around a few years...I'd say no team in this league this year.

Heck, yes. If you are ahead in the first 20 yards in the 100 yard dash, you have it made, right?

I don't like MOS as a coach, especially early on. But we've become pot committed to him. He's developed and learned from SOME of his mistakes, but also keeps making some loyalty based decisions that harm the team.

Lapolice sucks, and needs to go. His play calling is abysmal and predictable.

Hall seemingly has turned around the defense and I would find it difficult to justify terminating him. I wouldn't lose sleep over it either.

So where does that leave us? Honestly no clue I feel like the entire staff is likely to come back. 2019 has to be put up or shut up time for this group, doesn't it?

1 minute ago, Booch said:

You're trying to move the argument away from 'most fans and management are just happy with a playoff game and a playoff win every now and then' because you know it's true.

It's not about the first 3 games. Streveler went 1-2 . Should have started the next game or two, cuz Nichols was obviously not ready yet. Coaching mistake IMO.

How did Bomber fans get to the point where firing everybody is the default position almost every year, and we have to talk ourselves into why the regime should stay the same.  Seems backwards.

As far as I'm concerned, firing everyone every time the team doesn't win the Grey Cup within 3 years is the biggest reason the drought has gone on this long.

2 minutes ago, max power said:

How did Bomber fans get to the point where firing everybody is the default position almost every year, and we have to talk ourselves into why the regime should stay the same.  Seems backwards.

As far as I'm concerned, firing everyone every time the team doesn't win the Grey Cup within 3 years is the biggest reason the drought has gone on this long.

I'm inclined to agree, with the caveat that there must be some sort of progress. There has been progress with the Canadian Mafia, and it would be beyond stupid to ransack our regime at this point.