Curling

Rich

12 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

After spotting Canada’s 11th province 3 straight steals to start the game, Jen Jones makes it to Scotties final.

Just need Kerri to put the boots to McCarville this afternoon, and we can have a stress-free All-Manitoba Scotties Final tonight...... let's get 'er done, Einar! 

15 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So either Einerson wins her 4th consecutive championship, tying Colleen Jones’s all-time record, or Jen Jones wins her 7th overall title, breaking Colleen Jones’s all-time record. 

Betting 5th in row > 7th overall title.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

55 minutes ago, JCon said:

I had to give up on the game after 10pm and read the outcome this morning. Great win for Einarson! Great spiel for Jones. Go Manitoba!

The ninth end was a doozy.  It's amazing how quickly things changed.

This is the first time Team Einarson gets to curl outside Canada in the world's.

Jones made some early missteps when she could have put real pressure on Einarson. Missed a tap back for 4 which could also have been played as a take out for 3 in the 3rd end, only scored 1. Drew heavy allowing Einarson an easy draw with backing for her 1 in the 4th when a better draw might have led to a steal of up to 3. Then drew light for a steal of 2 in the 5th and Einarson never gave up control after that. The 5-ender in the 9th was really Jones going for broke to set up a steal knowing she had to gamble. Einarson just kept picking rocks out and rather than just conceding 1 or 2 Jones ignored the rocks in the house trying to generate the steal, hence the big score. The better team won yesterday, now she needs to up her game for the Worlds. 

the game turned on the steal of 2, otherwise it'd been a back and forth game. Once Jones gave up the steal, she was chasing from that point on. The more experienced team won out, but I'd bet Jones's kids learned a lot from that one. They'll be back. It's only Year 1 of the current quadrennial together, so I expect big things from Jonezacharias....

32 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the game turned on the steal of 2, otherwise it'd been a back and forth game. Once Jones gave up the steal, she was chasing from that point on. The more experienced team won out, but I'd bet Jones's kids learned a lot from that one. They'll be back. It's only Year 1 of the current quadrennial together, so I expect big things from Jonezacharias....

I'd be surprised if Jones doesn't retire.

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Not until after the quadrennial...she's committed through the 2026 Olys with this team. After that, definitely possible...

We shall see.  As reported today in the Free Press.

“We made a one-year commitment to each other to make sure that we wanted to do this. So, we’ll sit down and see where we’re at, and I’ll sit down and talk to my mom and see if she’ll continue to watch the kids. You know, there’s just other things that are involved other than my desire to keep playing,” said Jones.

Edited by Wideleft

I would say there's a less than 5% chance she retires now. They've been really good on tour this year and with this showing at the Scotties, they'll want to stick together. As JCon says, if she was going to, she would have last year. 

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I would say there's a less than 5% chance she retires now. They've been really good on tour this year and with this showing at the Scotties, they'll want to stick together. As JCon says, if she was going to, she would have last year. 

I think she only continues if she's convinced she can win it all and those odds get longer each year for her.  She lives in Ontario and has young kids.  I don't think being a mentor on a competitive team is enough to commit to 3 more years.  

She's been to the mountaintop so many times that I'm not sure she'll find it worth the sacrifice to be a regular also-ran.

My odds are 70-30 she retires.

4 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I think she only continues if she's convinced she can win it all and those odds get longer each year for her.  She lives in Ontario and has young kids.  I don't think being a mentor on a competitive team is enough to commit to 3 more years.  

She's been to the mountaintop so many times that I'm not sure she'll find it worth the sacrifice to be a regular also-ran.

My odds are 70-30 she retires.

Nope.... because this whole thing was her idea in the first place. She's the one who reached out to the Zach's and wanted to do this. So she wants to play the next quadrennial if the girls do. As Cathy and Vic said last night "I haven't seen her look this happy while curling in a long time"....... it'll take something shocking for that team not to be together next year. 

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Nope.... because this whole thing was her idea in the first place. She's the one who reached out to the Zach's and wanted to do this. So she wants to play the next quadrennial if the girls do. As Cathy and Vic said last night "I haven't seen her look this happy while curling in a long time"....... it'll take something shocking for that team not to be together next year. 

We shall see.

4 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I faintly remember spieling at the Thistle. So many of our curling rinks are very, very old but so beautiful in their own way. 

But, I guess that would have been the old location. I don't think I ever curled at this location - the Valour. 

Edited by JCon

legendary rinks....a shame there's not enough interest in the sport to keep them all going and upgrade them. Everyone wants to curl out of the Ft Rouge, because it has the best ice in the city, I'm told....

Just now, Noeller said:

legendary rinks....a shame there's not enough interest in the sport to keep them all going and upgrade them. Everyone wants to curl out of the Ft Rouge, because it has the best ice in the city, I'm told....

I started at Deer Lodge, then I was in North Battleford and Regina, but ended up at Charleswood as a teen/adult. They had great ice when Stoughton was curling out of there in the 90s/00s. I'm not sure now. 

So many great rinks in this city. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

I started at Deer Lodge, then I was in North Battleford and Regina, but ended up at Charleswood as a teen/adult. They had great ice when Stoughton was curling out of there in the 90s/00s. I'm not sure now. 

So many great rinks in this city. 

the best is always that the Valour Road Curling Club is not on Valour Road....ha ha ha. That used to drive people nuts during the MCA Bonspiel, when they'd be trying to rush over there for a game...

Pulled this list from Wikipedia of remaining curling rinks in the city. 

I've probably lost at most of these.

• Assiniboine Memorial Curling Club
  • Charleswood Curling Club
  • Deer Lodge Curling Club
  • East St. Paul Curling Club 
  • Elmwood Curling Club
  • Fort Garry Curling Club
  • Fort Rouge Curling Club
  • Grain Exchange Curling Club
  • Granite Curling Club
  • Heather Curling Club
  • Pembina Curling Club
  • Rossmere Golf and Country Club
  • West St. Paul Curling Club
  • St. Vital Curling Club
  • Thistle Curling Club
  • Victoria Curling Club
  • West Kildonan Curling Club
  • Wildewood Curling Club
Edited by JCon

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Pulled this list from Wikipedia of remaining curling rinks in the city. 

I've probably lost at most of these.

• Assiniboine Memorial Curling Club
  • Charleswood Curling Club
  • Deer Lodge Curling Club
  • East St. Paul Curling Club (in Zone 😎
  • Elmwood Curling Club
  • Fort Garry Curling Club
  • Fort Rouge Curling Club
  • Grain Exchange Curling Club
  • Granite Curling Club
  • Heather Curling Club
  • Pembina Curling Club
  • Rossmere Golf and Country Club
  • St. Vital Curling Club
  • Thistle Curling Club
  • Victoria Curling Club
  • West Kildonan Curling Club
  • Wildewood Curling Club

I have never curled in a Winnipeg rink, and have never played in the MCA bonspiel Things I desperately need to check off my bucket list sooner rather than later....