Curling

Rich

I started playing because my best friend played. We played at Deer Lodge. 

When I was in Junior High, I played out of Charleswood, who would let me practice daily after school, which was right next door. ;) 

I was lucky enough to practice next to Jeff Stoughton and his team many times. I also played a bit with Kelly Scott (nee Mackenzie) when she was on the Provincial winning team. Great atmosphere and environment to encourage young curlers. 

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

I started playing because my best friend played. We played at Deer Lodge. 

When I was in Junior High, I played out of Charleswood, who would let me practice daily after school, which was right next door. ;) 

I was lucky enough to practice next to Jeff Stoughton and his team many times. I also played a bit with Kelly Scott (nee Mackenzie) when she was on the Provincial winning team. Great atmosphere and environment to encourage young curlers. 

That is the coolest thing about curling, that as a recreational player any given day you could practice next to, or even play against, the best in the world.

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, do these broadcaster ever eave the bubble? Having all the curling in the second biggest Covid hot mess province in Canada... well this is what happens. 

#1 hot mess in all of North America. More than double Ontario and just passed Michigan yesterday. 

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

#1 hot mess in all of North America. More than double Ontario and just passed Michigan yesterday. 

I never thought I'd say this but our province is totally ****** up. From wanna be cowboys holding illegal rodeos & 2000 people not wearing masks sitting together like sardines to nutbar pastors threatening neighbourhood residents with physical violence & vandalism calling them "evil people". When my wife retires in 5 or 6 years we're outta this place. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I never thought I'd say this but our province is totally ****** up. From wanna be cowboys holding illegal rodeos & 2000 people not wearing masks sitting together like sardines to nutbar pastors threatening neighbourhood residents with physical violence & vandalism calling them "evil people". When my wife retires in 5 or 6 years we're outta this place. 

And today Kenney shut down the Leg for at least 2 weeks because of the dramatic increase in cases. Lots of other businesses being forced to operate regardless of COVID... but JK gonna go into hiding. Cripes... 

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

And today Kenney shut down the Leg for at least 2 weeks because of the dramatic increase in cases. Lots of other businesses being forced to operate regardless of COVID... but JK gonna go into hiding. Cripes... 

He woud gain a lot of lost respect back if he kicked those 17 MLA's out of caucus. Getting tired of their bitching & complaining in the midst of a pandemic. What a bunch of assholes. 

there's no question in my mind, Kerri Einarson's rink is by far the best women's rink in Canada, which automatically makes them the best rink in the world....but something is amiss this week. I'm not sure if it's in their head....or if they're just burned out from too much curling back to back to back to back in the bubble....but they're a mess right now. 

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

there's no question in my mind, Kerri Einarson's rink is by far the best women's rink in Canada, which automatically makes them the best rink in the world....but something is amiss this week. I'm not sure if it's in their head....or if they're just burned out from too much curling back to back to back to back in the bubble....but they're a mess right now. 

Have they been in a bubble since February? If so, why treat athletes like they're prisoners? 

15 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Have they been in a bubble since February? If so, why treat athletes like they're prisoners? 

Not entirely. I think they've been home for short stretches but MOSTLY in the bubble during this span. How else could you do it safely? There is no other way to run this event safely... 

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Not entirely. I think they've been home for short stretches but MOSTLY in the bubble during this span. How else could you do it safely? There is no other way to run this event safely... 

I just think that for the mental health of the players it shouldn't be allowed. I just wonder if it's worth it. It's not like they're making millions like NHL players do. 

38 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I just think that for the mental health of the players it shouldn't be allowed. I just wonder if it's worth it. It's not like they're making millions like NHL players do. 

It's a plague... It's either this or you don't do it. There is absolutely no other way. And the players were all free to opt out (and several did). It was completely their choice. 

I'm a huge mental health advocate as you know... But it takes a back seat to people dying from a plague. The ONLY thing that matters is this virus and keeping it at bay. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Fleury blows on last shot and Jones gets to represent Canada.

In fairness, Fleury missed in the 10th,giving Jones an absolute gimme open nose hit for the win, and Jones pooched it by throwing too light and over curling, then losing the shooter and only getting one. In the extra, Jones set up a steal really well and Fleury was inside on her last and rubbed the guard. A lot of misses in this game, as there generally is with women's curling, but was an entertaining game throughout. 

3 hours ago, the watcher said:

Manitoba curlers certainly ruled the women's side of the trials ,3 out of the top 4 in the round robin. I feel bad for Fleury after she was so dominate all tournament. Take notice Bombers.

Manitoba has ruled the women's division of "professional" curling for several years now. Not sure how many follow the tour closely, but Tracy Fleury (from Northern Ontario) moved to Manitoba and skips 3 young Manitoba women, and they are the best team in the world right now. Kerri Einarson's rink (they list Gimli as their home rink, but they technically curl out of Winnipeg) are 2x defending Scotties champs, and Jennifer Jones rink is still one of the best on tour every weekend. On top of that, recent World Junior Champion Mackenzie Zacharias of Altona, is one of the hot young upstarts. They were granted a berth in the Scotties either last year or two years ago and didn't look out of place. They'll be dominant on tour soon. So yes, Mantioba's ladies scene is the best in all the land right now.

Our Men's side, not so much. We have talent coming up the pipe, but the competitive rinks we have right now, are not actually competitive on tour. McEwen's rink is "dysfunctional", to say the least, and Gunner's team just isn't at the talent level of the top tour teams. The best Manitoba Men's curler is Matt Dunstone, who was lured away by The Gappers, where he's been skipping a team the last couple years. The hope among Manitoba curling fans is, with the Olympic "quadrennial" now complete, there will be an explosion as teams blow up at the end of this season and re-form as more competitive, talented versions to represent the Bison over the next 4 years. 

Fingers remain firmly crossed....

On 2021-11-29 at 10:16 AM, Noeller said:

Manitoba has ruled the women's division of "professional" curling for several years now. Not sure how many follow the tour closely, but Tracy Fleury (from Northern Ontario) moved to Manitoba and skips 3 young Manitoba women, and they are the best team in the world right now. Kerri Einarson's rink (they list Gimli as their home rink, but they technically curl out of Winnipeg) are 2x defending Scotties champs, and Jennifer Jones rink is still one of the best on tour every weekend. On top of that, recent World Junior Champion Mackenzie Zacharias of Altona, is one of the hot young upstarts. They were granted a berth in the Scotties either last year or two years ago and didn't look out of place. They'll be dominant on tour soon. So yes, Mantioba's ladies scene is the best in all the land right now.

Our Men's side, not so much. We have talent coming up the pipe, but the competitive rinks we have right now, are not actually competitive on tour. McEwen's rink is "dysfunctional", to say the least, and Gunner's team just isn't at the talent level of the top tour teams. The best Manitoba Men's curler is Matt Dunstone, who was lured away by The Gappers, where he's been skipping a team the last couple years. The hope among Manitoba curling fans is, with the Olympic "quadrennial" now complete, there will be an explosion as teams blow up at the end of this season and re-form as more competitive, talented versions to represent the Bison over the next 4 years. 

Fingers remain firmly crossed....

When was the last time we won a Brier? It seems it's been forever. All these residency rule changes for the Oly trials to me is ruining the sport. Provincial rivalries should mean something but it doesn't to Curl Canada. It fuels fans interest. If a player lives in Manitoba why should he be allowed to curl for Saskatchewan? I know it's Oly Trials related but **** that. I used to play & watch curling religiously. Not anymore. I just don't care when Manitoba's best player represents the stubble jumpers. 

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When was the last time we won a Brier? It seems it's been forever. All these residency rule changes for the Oly trials to me is ruining the sport. Provincial rivalries should mean something but it doesn't to Curl Canada. It fuels fans interest. If a player lives in Manitoba why should he be allowed to curl for Saskatchewan? I know it's Oly Trials related but **** that. I used to play & watch curling religiously. Not anymore. I just don't care when Manitoba's best player represents the stubble jumpers. 

Stoughton 2011. A bit of a fluke, but we'll take it.