Curling

Rich

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

there's always a good chance of Manitoba winning because we have so many good ******* teams, period. Even if we only have 1 or 2 in the bonspiel, we've got a better than good shot of winning because we're that much better than everyone else on any given day. Virtually every province has benefitted from our curling expertise in some way. One of the things that absolutely makes me sick to my stomach these days is we sent our best male curler over to the ******* GAP of all places, to wear green and help those inbred, knuckle dragging cousin-f***ers win a f***ing Brier......absolutely gross. 

Their curlers are like their football team. They've only won like 4 Briers.

Good for Einar...she's fantastic. Some people questioned whether a team of 4 skips could make it work, but they definitely did. I still feel like this team is winning in spite of Val Sweeting and they could do better at the 3rd position, but they're getting it done regardless. Shame that Jonesy **** her pants in the tie breaker, but that's how she goes sometimes. Manitoba's women's curling future is extremely bright with a number of good teams. On to the Brier now, starting Friday, where Manitoba's men's division is not so bright. A couple of "just okay" teams and the best curler we've produced in at least a decade, Matt Dunstone, is skipping the dirty Gappers...what a shame. 

Got to feel bad for Einerson in that she will have won the Scott twice and yet will again not get to go the World’s, as they have already cancelled this year in Switzerland (the men’s worlds in Canada is still a go though). I would be very happy if Curling Canada compensated her by giving her the Olympic berth now and skipped the trials. Not like she has’t earned it or that she isn’t the best women’s team we could send right now. 

Great news for Kerri Einerson’s team. Women’s Worlds is back on and will be held in Calgary along with the Men’s. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7680473/curling-team-einarson-womens-worlds/?utm_source=GlobalWinnipeg&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1tyBxCGga84hLdooi0ZqVPuESsu3GYPtiCwPFhQYqfqtd_Js1-bhQDm4g

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

57 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Great news for Kerri Einerson’s team. Women’s Worlds is back on and will be held in Calgary along with the Men’s. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7680473/curling-team-einarson-womens-worlds/?utm_source=GlobalWinnipeg&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1tyBxCGga84hLdooi0ZqVPuESsu3GYPtiCwPFhQYqfqtd_Js1-bhQDm4g

Freakin Alberta getting all the bubble action.

On 2021-02-27 at 8:53 PM, Noeller said:

Curling is always quiet. It's how it's meant to be. I'm loving it way more without fans. 

Nah, love the old corn & synthetic brooms in unison booming through the building & watching those great front ends go to work on heavy ice for 10-12 ends... I played front end & when you got in a rhythm with the other sweeper it was incredible... It was LOUD!!!! Miss those days...  Yeah, **** got on the ice but that was part of the game. At least with a corn broom sweeping still could save a rock if it caught a straw unlike brush hairs today.... Blisters were also part of the game. They became calluses . I used to go through 3 or 4 gloves every year. I just remember when you played in a Men's League twice a week or in a bonspiel if we heard the boom, boom, boom of the brooms from another sheet everyone that could would look up to watch the sweepers for a second or two... 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

38 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Nah, love the old corn & synthetic brooms in unison booming through the building & watching those great front ends go to work on heavy ice for 10-12 ends... I played front end & when you got in a rhythm with the other sweeper it was incredible... It was LOUD!!!! Miss those days...  Yeah, **** got on the ice but that was part of the game. At least with a corn broom sweeping still could save a rock if it caught a straw unlike brush hairs today.... Blisters were also part of the game. They became calluses . I used to go through 3 or 4 gloves every year. I just remember when you played in a Men's League twice a week or in a bonspiel if we heard the boom, boom, boom of the brooms from another sheet everyone that could would look up to watch the sweepers for a second or two... 

My hands and shoulders started hurting just remembering those days. I kind of miss the sound as well. Man some guys could make them snap !

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

My hands and shoulders started hurting just remembering those days. I kind of miss the sound as well. Man some guys could make them snap !

Yeah, great front ends like Jim Pettapiece & Bryan Wood from Don Duguid's championship teams. Guys whose names I no longer can remember but I admired when I started playing myself. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

AB loves being a Guinea pig. If there's money in it, the government will strong arm AHS into making it happen.... 

Calgary has the facilities at Canada Olympic Park where they built a curling arena.... 

49 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, great front ends like Jim Pettapiece & Bryan Wood from Don Duguid's championship teams. Guys whose names I no longer can remember but I admired when I started playing myself. 

Calgary has the facilities at Canada Olympic Park where they built a curling arena.... 

Lots of places have facilities. One place likes taking risks with the health of people... 

• 2 weeks later...

**** everything about Canadian Men's Curling right now. Manitoba...the greatest curling province of all time....is a complete shambles. Until that gets fixed to the point where it's like the Scotties, and we're sending 5 teams that are contenders, I'm going to be angry. And the best curler we've produced in at least a decade, is skipping the Gappers (of all ******* provinces) until at least after the Trials. I'm still hopeful that he comes home if they don't win the Trials, and skips a new team with a bison on his back, as it should be. 

Don't get me started on this. I'll rant for hours. 

Our men's division is ******* awful. I love Mike... He and I went to BU together and worked at SportChek together... But he's loony tunes that guy. Too high and too low... Reider is the balanced one. But that team just isn't good enough to make any noise. 

Gunner should be a 3rd for someone sensible. He's not a skip... And the rest of that team is just okay. The sooner they ditch Adam Casey the better. 

Our best curler that we've produced in at LEAST a decade is Matt Dunstone and unfortunately he got talked into skipping the only half decent curlers in Saskatchewan (which of course makes me physically ill) and is doing really well with a God awful team. 

I desperately want to see Dunny come home and skip a team of maybe Reider at 3rd, Wozniak at second and Denny Neufeld at lead, who I think is still the what lead Manitoba has had in a generation.... That team would be something. 

Oi. Our provincial men's curling scene.... Makes my head hurt right now. 

18 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Don't get me started on this. I'll rant for hours. 

Our men's division is ******* awful. I love Mike... He and I went to BU together and worked at SportChek together... But he's loony tunes that guy. Too high and too low... Reider is the balanced one. But that team just isn't good enough to make any noise. 

Gunner should be a 3rd for someone sensible. He's not a skip... And the rest of that team is just okay. The sooner they ditch Adam Casey the better. 

Our best curler that we've produced in at LEAST a decade is Matt Dunstone and unfortunately he got talked into skipping the only half decent curlers in Saskatchewan (which of course makes me physically ill) and is doing really well with a God awful team. 

I desperately want to see Dunny come home and skip a team of maybe Reider at 3rd, Wozniak at second and Denny Neufeld at lead, who I think is still the what lead Manitoba has had in a generation.... That team would be something. 

Oi. Our provincial men's curling scene.... Makes my head hurt right now. 

I guess with less people curling especially in men's league curling at all clubs there are less & less promising junior players to develop. I loved junior curling. So much fun. especially the all nighters but now those are in the past. We can't encourage drinking, can we? Man, I was at one all nighter back in the 70's (won't say where) & the bar was open all night with no supervision. Back then the junior age was still 21 so there were enough older guys around to make sure the younger ones didn't get stupid. Other than the kid who took off all his clothes & was throwing rocks in the nude. Some guys threw his clothes outside & he had to go get them. Lol. We drank but never trashed the place. We were respectful of the club. I also remember everyone had their own style of delivering rocks. Now, with the exception of Dunstone who is a good old fashioned tucker, they all look like robots throwing stones. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

We had a Junior team win Nationals last year... Jacques Gauthier (Kathy's kid) rink kicked some ass and might have a future. It's crazy because our ladies side is DEEP right now... We have like 5 or 6 teams that are more than solid. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

We had a Junior team win Nationals last year... Jacques Gauthier (Kathy's kid) rink kicked some ass and might have a future. It's crazy because our ladies side is DEEP right now... We have like 5 or 6 teams that are more than solid. 

Strong teams at the national level all draw younger kids to the sport to emulate them. Women are strong so then is the junior division, I'd say which means more good teams in the future. Men not so much.

I started curling because Don Duguid won back to back Briers in 70 & 71 & Orest Meleschuk won the 72 Brier & World's. When I was 16, I wanted to be like them. They were my heroes. I met Meleschuk when I was 17 as Fort Rouge was my home club. I was sparing in the Men's League that night & his team was playing. I shook his hand & became completely tongue tied. I could barely get a word out. After looking at me strangely, he just said, "Nice meeting you, kid" & walked away. I felt like a dumb ass teen. .