Curling

Rich

29 minutes ago, JCon said:

Wow, that's scary. Glad to hear everyone is okay.

Northern Ontario played really well last week. I think they're going to be around for a while. 

if only because there is nobody to compete against. She's been repping them since Juniors...there's nobody else. Same with Jacobs...not that he isn't good, but he's got no competition. Meanwhile, the Manitoba ladies division features the best 3 teams in the country right now in terms of CTRS points. 

Just now, Noeller said:

if only because there is nobody to compete against. She's been repping them since Juniors...there's nobody else. Same with Jacobs...not that he isn't good, but he's got no competition. Meanwhile, the Manitoba ladies division features the best 3 teams in the country right now in terms of CTRS points. 

They still played well last week. And, yes, the pool of talent is shallow, just like the Maritimes, Newfoundland, Northern Canada and Alberta/BC (when they don't a Manitoban skipping). 

My ideal format for the Scotties and Brier would stay at 16 teams and keep Northern Ontario.  Ontario is two provinces functionally, you have a winner from the Sudbury-Thunder Bay NW Ontario province and a winner from Southern Ontario.  Those two areas basically don't interact, the players from NW Ontario would play small tour events in Manitoba more than they'd play in Southern Ontario.

Anyways, my format would be an A pool and a B pool.  The A pool would be the top 8 qualified teams by CTRS.  The B pool would be the bottom 8 teams by CTRS.

The A pool would send 5 teams to the 6 team playoff.  The B pool would send 1 team to the 6 team playoff, you'd have to decide what seed they'd end up being, I'd probably make them 4 or 6, if 4 they get hammer and choice of rocks in 4-5 game (see below).  

The 6 team playoff would be similar format to CFL playoff aside from once it gets to final 4 it's traditional Page playoff.

So 1 & 2 seed get bye to Page playoff.  3 plays 6, 4 plays 5, winners are 3 and 4 seed in Page playoff.

Even though the playoff is a little more drawn out, there's less games played for all teams.

I'd also consider expanding the wildcard to a 3 or 4 team playoff since there will be fewer round-robin games in this format.

Overall this format would ensure a more competitive event and excuse those top 8 teams from having to play horrendous teams who are basically rec curlers vs pros.

Thank Christ and everything holy, Mike McEwen won the Wild Card play in game and will play this week at the Brier. Manitoba's men's division is as bad right now as its ever been, so we need two teams to give ourselves a chance this week. (spoiler: neither has a chance against the best teams.) 

On 2020-02-29 at 12:21 AM, Noeller said:

Thank Christ and everything holy, Mike McEwen won the Wild Card play in game and will play this week at the Brier. Manitoba's men's division is as bad right now as its ever been, so we need two teams to give ourselves a chance this week. (spoiler: neither has a chance against the best teams.) 

Gunnlaugson (3rd), McEwen (4th) and Carruthers (2nd/skip) should all team up with Samagalski as lead.  That team might be competitive with Gushue, Jacobs, Koe etc.  Gunnlaugson doesn't have the repertoire to throw last rock IMO, but he'd be a hell of a third in the 5 rock rule era.  He'd almost exclusively be playing hits.  Gunnlaugson could probably keep McEwen loose enough to stay consistent.  Carruthers is good at telling McEwen when to shut up and get in the hack too, don't let him ice himself.

I don't think Gunner is smart enough that I'd want him on my team in any capacity. He and Reider are friends tho and Gunner threw 3rd for him in 06. What I want to see is Dunstone come home and play with Mike and Reid. I'd like to see Denni at lead, but Samagalski would be okay too. 

On ‎2020‎-‎02‎-‎29 at 12:21 AM, Noeller said:

Thank Christ and everything holy, Mike McEwen won the Wild Card play in game and will play this week at the Brier. Manitoba's men's division is as bad right now as its ever been, so we need two teams to give ourselves a chance this week. (spoiler: neither has a chance against the best teeldams.) 

Before we decry the state of Manitoba men's curling too much, we should acknowledge that, in addition to having not one but 2 Provincial teams in the field, there are other good Manitoba curlers transplanted on to other teams. BJ Neufeld is on Team Canada, Ryan Fry is playing with Ontario, and Matt Dunstone is skipping Saskatchewan.

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Before we decry the state of Manitoba men's curling too much, we should acknowledge that, in addition to having not one but 2 Provincial teams in the field, there are other good Manitoba curlers transplanted on to other teams. BJ Neufeld is on Team Canada, Ryan Fry is playing with Ontario, and Matt Dunstone is skipping Saskatchewan.

But what I was talking about was the actual state of our Men's division in Manitoba....which is the shits right now. Gunner is a very good Manitoba Curling Tour team, and a below average WCT team. Mike and Reider are the only semi-legit WCT team that we have curling out of Manitoba. Yes, we are producing all the good curlers as we have for generations, but sadly they go elsewhere. Dunstone is the best men's curler we've produced in decades and he did the most sickening thing possible.......he went to Saskatchewan. Makes my stomach turn...

On 2020-03-02 at 2:57 PM, Noeller said:

But what I was talking about was the actual state of our Men's division in Manitoba....which is the shits right now. Gunner is a very good Manitoba Curling Tour team, and a below average WCT team. Mike and Reider are the only semi-legit WCT team that we have curling out of Manitoba. Yes, we are producing all the good curlers as we have for generations, but sadly they go elsewhere. Dunstone is the best men's curler we've produced in decades and he did the most sickening thing possible.......he went to Saskatchewan. Makes my stomach turn...

At least he actually lives in BC.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Curious to see if the bubble nationals will work or not. It's going to basically look like the Canada Cup event. Because there won't be any real playdowns, they'll just load it with the top CTRS points teams, which is totally fine in my books. All you really want is the best teams in attendance. 

• 2 months later...

there's always a good chance of Manitoba winning because we have so many good ******* teams, period. Even if we only have 1 or 2 in the bonspiel, we've got a better than good shot of winning because we're that much better than everyone else on any given day. Virtually every province has benefitted from our curling expertise in some way. One of the things that absolutely makes me sick to my stomach these days is we sent our best male curler over to the ******* GAP of all places, to wear green and help those inbred, knuckle dragging cousin-f***ers win a f***ing Brier......absolutely gross.