Curling

Rich

Congrats to Mackenzie Zacharias (Altona) and Jacques Gauthier (Assiniboine Memorial - Winnipeg) winning Double-Gold at the World Junior Curling Championships. I believe it's the first time Manitoba has ever pulled the Double Gold. With both Jonesy and Einar in the Scotties Final 4, we have a good shot at taking that home, too. If you're willing to overlook the sad state of our current Men's curling in Manitoba, this province is living up to it's billing as the Home of Curling...

3 hours ago, JCon said:

I was cheering for Einarson yesterday. Don't know why, it just happened that way. Einarson made shot after shot and was simply better than Jones. Now I'm hoping for a rematch. 

One thing i not figure out is why Jones and I assume 3rd is screaming HAAAAARRRDDD on a rock that was not curling enough 🤔

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Ugh. ******* Homan beats Jones today. Desperately wanted an all MB final to make it anxiety free... Now we'll be on the edge of our seats praying for Einar today. Anyone but Homan, seriously... 

Seriously agree. ABH. 

But she curled well. It's going to be a heck of a game tonight. 

Jones has such little confidence in her draw weight and ability to call sweeping this year that she's panicky and calling lots of weird raises and in-offs that are the kind of thing you mostly see in drunken Tuesday night leagues.

I feel like in that game she came out right away thinking she had to try to beat Homan at the high weight hit game...the second end from Lawes shots on down were just bizarre calls that cost them the game.

12 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Einarson pulls off a miracle.

Beats Jones multple times.

Beat Homan in Scotties final

and did it all with a nose ring!

not really a miracle...she's been better than both teams all year. Top 3 teams in Canada: Fleury -- Einar -- Jones. Kerri's been due for awhile...nice to see her break through. 

22 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

One thing i not figure out is why Jones and I assume 3rd is screaming HAAAAARRRDDD on a rock that was not curling enough 🤔

That has to do with the new brushes, doesn't it?  I hate it.  Goes against every curling instinct I have.

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, it's not the new brushes (they all have to use the exact same ones now) but the new WAY of brushing. It's called "Directional Sweeping", and it really does work. They can actually sweep it to curl more OR less, depending on what they need.

And the big shot coaches like Marcel Rocque and Jones' coach are up their own asses about playing draws all the time and hitting less.  See the downfall of that in all the late-game misses on straighter arena ice in the Scotties.  They are trying to turn players like Einarson and Homan into drawers when they are quite good at the up-weight hit game.  It's a simple game.  Homan has not won anything major since they've tried to change her delivery.

51 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, it's not the new brushes (they all have to use the exact same ones now) but the new WAY of brushing. It's called "Directional Sweeping", and it really does work. They can actually sweep it to curl more OR less, depending on what they need.

It's all bullshit. The ******* old people in friday mixed buy into it too and it's poppycock. Even if it does have that much impact the light dusting the old fogeys do won't move any impact at all.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

It's all bullshit. The ******* old people in friday mixed buy into it too and it's poppycock. Even if it does have that much impact the light dusting the old fogeys do won't move any impact at all.

tl/dr: "I can't do it, so it's ****" ;)

It works for sure....probably not for club curlers, but for the pros that know how....definitely works.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

tl/dr: "I can't do it, so it's ****" ;)

It works for sure....probably not for club curlers, but for the pros that know how....definitely works.

Their evidence is suspect at best. Too many variables to be proven.

And I'll have you know my only contribution on Friday nights is sweeping. Can't throw for **** this year.