Curling

Rich

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

**** everything about this year's Brier.... 

Hate the format of the Brier now. Two pools & a WC team. That's what I hate. Especially the WC team. No interest in watching anymore. I know you like the WC team but I feel if you can't get out of your province for the Brier then go back & keep curling in the pro tour. It's a very confusing format.

44 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hate the format of the Brier now. Two pools & a WC team. That's what I hate. Especially the WC team. No interest in watching anymore. I know you like the WC team but I feel if you can't get out of your province for the Brier then go back & keep curling in the pro tour. It's a very confusing format.

Lets not forget Canada's 11th province...Northern Ontario!

Congrats to Kevin Koe and his team for a curling performance that was highlighted by fantastic shot making.

To me, the Brier is the highlight of the curling season as it provides a platform for the best Canadian curlers to curl on some of the best ice surfaces in the world. 

This year’s Brier had some of the best shotmaking you’re going to see in curling. It’s no wonder either, as some of the best teams in the world were present.

I appreciated the new format more this year because you really had to be the best to win this thing. The top 4 teams prevailed. Brad Gushue, Brad Jacobs, Kevin Koe and Brendan Bottcher were the best and proved it by attempting and making some of the best shots, on a consistent basis, that you’re going to see in curling.

Any one of these 4 teams would represent Canada well in the upcoming Worlds, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

We’re in goods hands with The Kevin Koe team.

PS - I must add that TSN did a great job of showing all the games and provided us with a great team of analysts who gave us, not only qualitative explanations, but entertained us as well. Well done!

Edited by Mr Dee

The issue with the brier is that there are some really trash teams there and until you get to the playoffs you might wind up watching some really mismatched games. 

I was watching Nova Scotia play while I was the gym one day and that team had no business being on the ice. Couldn't make their shots, making questionable strategy calls.... but then you throw in a wild card for the sake of not shutting out a good team from a competitive province, but then if that's the point why stick with the provincial format? I dunno I really think they need to decide if they still want to be the provincial winners show up to the national championship or if they want to just have the best of the best teams in the country play for the national championship. They are trying to have it both ways and I don't like it. Pick a side and go with it. The added bonus of just letting the best teams play regardless of where they are from is you drop the charade of having a Manitobans playing for Saskatchewan or Alberta or where ever else and then they can just build teams without needing to worry about the residency requirements, which they are already playing fast and loose with anyway. 

• 3 weeks later...

Manitoba curling is in a bad way. Maybe our best skip, Matt Dunstone, headed west to skip some gappers. A real shame. The McEwen/Carruthers experiment was a **** show. We'll see what year 2 looks like. I still think the front end is the biggest problem with that team... 

10 hours ago, JCon said:

1999 before that. 

Noeller would like this story...

In 1996, I got a part time job as an usher at the Saddledome. Not for hockey as I've never been a Flames fan but because I wanted to see the musical acts perform there. I saw Metallica, Kiss, Hootie & The Blowfish as well as the Hip, 54-40, Def Leppard & the Smashing Pumpkins. However, the main reason I wanted to work at The Saddledome was to see the Brier. So, I worked every event that year including the Brier. I actually walked down to the ice surface after the Thursday evening draw & it was awesome. I said hello to Eddie Werenich who also was down there.

The championship game was Alberta vs Manitoba. Kevin Martin vs Vic Peters. During the second end I had to go down to pick something up in the Ushers Locker Room where we changed. There was a blackboard & no one was around so I quickly scribbled "Go Manitoba!!" as I was leaving & thought nothing of it. Just scribbled it for fun. Well....

No one saw me do it but an over exuberant supervisor's head exploded & he began looking for the culprit (me) by actually interrogating every usher as they stood at their stations throughout the Dome threatening to fire whoever did it. One of the ushers close by came over quickly & warned me that this idiot was out to find out whoever dared say "Go Manitoba!!" If he found out then it would mean instant termination. We're supposed to cheer for Alberta, doncha know??? Well, **** him. When he came to talk to me I just said I knew nothing of what happened. He said to me if he ever found out who did then they're gone. Just shook my head at the stupidity & bullying by some 23 year old punk.

Anyway, Manitoba lost but it still was worth it seeing this guy going crazy. He never did find out that it was me. For the rest of the year, I'd just smile at him behind his back & chuckle. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

• 7 months later...