Bombers Free Agent List

Fred C Dobbs

20 minutes ago, JCon said:

I would like to open a discussion on Taylor Loffler. 

He's due a big pay raise now that he's no longer on a rookie contract.

Is he worth it? Can we replace him for less with a National in another position? 

I love his style and that he's Canadian but what his his salary cost us a prime player in another area. 

Re-sign or not? 

On paper now what is his competition ?......... 

and roughly my how much time do we have to sign him ?......does he want to be back ? Does he want to explore other offers (naturally) ?......  it's going to be a long summer watching here for news all off season lol....

44 minutes ago, JCon said:

I would like to open a discussion on Taylor Loffler. 

He's due a big pay raise now that he's no longer on a rookie contract.

Is he worth it? Can we replace him for less with a National in another position? 

I love his style and that he's Canadian but what his his salary cost us a prime player in another area. 

Re-sign or not? 

That's a tough one because when he's playing well Loffler is a good piece to have, but he's been a bit inconsistent the last year or two. I think unless he's asking for the moon (he might, they keep making him an allstar) you can build your D around his style of play. Can probably improve the coverage if you go all american in the secondary, but where does the other National come in? 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

That's a tough one because when he's playing well Loffler is a good piece to have, but he's been a bit inconsistent the last year or two. I think unless he's asking for the moon (he might, they keep making him an allstar) you can build your D around his style of play. Can probably improve the coverage if you go all american in the secondary, but where does the other National come in? 

He allows us to play another International on the line. Is that worth it? Can we even find a replacement? 

If Loffler follows through on F.A. he could get unreasonably expensive as a lot of teams could use him in their secondary for ratio purposes and may bid him up beyond what Walters sees as a reasonable price. He's been voted a CFL All-Star at Safety each of his 3 years so I can see him wanting to make some serious hay after playing out his rookie contract.  He also has family ties to BC, I would guess it's 50/50 whether the Bombers can retain him.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If the Bombers can't retain Loffler an alternative is replacing him with Fenner or Fogg and using a combination of Corney and Jake Thomas to maintain the ratio.  I'm not convinced Conteh, Morgan or Jones can fill Loffler's boots adequately.

Loffler's replacement wasn't a total let down and safety is one of the easiest national spots to fill, this shouldn't be a game changer if Loffler leaves, imo. 

8 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If the Bombers can't retain Loffler an alternative is replacing him with Fenner or Fogg and using a combination of Corney and Jake Thomas to maintain the ratio.  I'm not convinced Conteh, Morgan or Jones can fill Loffler's boots adequately.

Think Corney is coming back? I didn't think he left on very good terms.

Edited by JCon

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Think Corney is coming back? I didn't think he left on very good terms.

He was injured for the season and chose to recuperate at home, never heard there was any problem.  He should be pursued, may potentially be the best Natl. DE in the league....come to think of it he may be the only Natl. DE in the league.

20 hours ago, Floyd said:

Petermann is pretty fast - I’d like to see him get a shot at would spot first and then maybe transition inside too

I have high hopes for Petermann but I think Simonise is already ready to make that next step. He's made some big plays. Super exciting to have both guys though

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

There’s a whole offseason to play out and a strong likelihood many of the players you mentioned won’t be Bombers next season.

My thought is that I would retain Loffler into low six figures, Max $130,000.  Even that’s kind of high for the entirety of what he provided the past two seasons, in more than half our games he was a non-factor and not in a good way.

The alternatives are going all import on D or using one or more of our early picks (we have a pick in each round and BC’s first rounder) to add some guys who could be role players on D, likely in the secondary or DL rotation.

We could also add guys who can be role players on O, go to starting 3 NI receivers or 4 NI OL.  Starting 4 NI playmakers on O leaves us thin, especially if Harris had a long term injury.

There are players in the draft and free agency that could provide better value to our overall roster than Loffler does if his ask creeps above something reasonable. We also have good NI depth without him on our current roster.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

He was injured for the season and chose to recuperate at home, never heard there was any problem.  He should be pursued, may potentially be the best Natl. DE in the league....come to think of it he may be the only Natl. DE in the league.

There’s a bunch.

Corney would have to actually be able to play football for us to know how good he is.

Loffler is a difference making, all star, Canadian starter. He's going to get paid this year. Losing him means changing the ratio and I don't see us as having anyone in house who can take the starting spot. Bringing in another NI starter will also be expensive, especially an all-star variety.

I certainly hope we re-sign Loffler, even if it costs a bunch-o-bucks.

35 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Loffler is a difference making, all star, Canadian starter. He's going to get paid this year. Losing him means changing the ratio and I don't see us as having anyone in house who can take the starting spot. Bringing in another NI starter will also be expensive, especially an all-star variety.

I certainly hope we re-sign Loffler, even if it costs a bunch-o-bucks.

All Star selections in the CFL are unfortunately largely name recognition over quality of play. Loffler is an average safety who we would probably regret paying more than we would regret losing. 

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

All Star selections in the CFL are unfortunately largely name recognition over quality of play. Loffler is an average safety who we would probably regret paying more than we would regret losing. 

And he's not a guy who is going to age well with his previous knee and hip issues.  He clearly has lost at least a step in coverage from 2016 to now.  That's not going to get better.  He had loads of games this season where he didn't make a single positive play and barely even registered on the stat sheet.  His play picked up in the last third of the season, but he's not generating turnovers (FF and INT) like he did as a rookie.

We have a lot of opportunity to add Canadians (4th and 5th overall picks) and we have a few on our roster who will be developing and working into roles I'd assume (Gray, Petermann, Simonise).  I'm not worried about losing Loffler, but of course I would have benched him in July and gone all import on D.