Bombers Free Agent List

Fred C Dobbs

On 2018-11-23 at 4:35 PM, Floyd said:

Heard Bighill and Loffler are buying a bus to drive across Canada visit every team... check out the facilities, assess the various city’s museums...

It occurs to me that if Bighill and Loffler defect to BC, that would instantaneously make them a playoff team.

On 2018-11-23 at 9:15 AM, JCon said:

I would like to open a discussion on Taylor Loffler. 

He's due a big pay raise now that he's no longer on a rookie contract.

Is he worth it? Can we replace him for less with a National in another position? 

I love his style and that he's Canadian but what his his salary cost us a prime player in another area. 

Re-sign or not? 

I'm kind of on the fence with Loffler... at the right price, he's a nice player to have back there... but I definitely don't view him as irreplaceable... I suspect Walters will try to retain him but will have a limit on price...

On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎24 at 4:57 PM, Tracker said:

It occurs to me that if Bighill and Loffler defect to BC, that would instantaneously make them a playoff team.

BC could only hope their FA is as good as the speculation. Reilly, Bighill, Loffler, Chungh....they apparently have the inside track on everyone.

7 hours ago, gcn11 said:

BC could only hope their FA is as good as the speculation. Reilly, Bighill, Loffler, Chungh....they apparently have the inside track on everyone.

I don't think they can sign everyone. They have to watch the cap like other teams. if they sign Reilly then that's a huge chunk of change. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't think they can sign everyone. They have to watch the cap like other teams. if they sign Reilly then that's a huge chunk of change. 

So what's your approach if you're BC (or anyone) in FA... Sign (or keep) 4 or 5 anchor players, game changers, and build around them, plugging with low cost FAs and rookies? You can't afford lots of pricey players if you're signing Reilly to $600k. 

It will be interesting to see the timing of FA with the new CBA. 

11 hours ago, bearpants said:

I'm kind of on the fence with Loffler... at the right price, he's a nice player to have back there... but I definitely don't view him as irreplaceable... I suspect Walters will try to retain him but will have a limit on price...

Personally, I think the recent changes to league rules regarding defending receivers have passed Loffler by... I love his style of being a player lurking in the weeds, often delivering pivotal, jarring hits on WRs. Sadly though, I think the league has been trending away from that style, and we often see Loffler (and other similar players) penalized for hits that would've been legal even say, 4-5 years ago. Also, he has had injuries in his tenure here, which will only get worse as he continues to age.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

So what's your approach if you're BC (or anyone) in FA... Sign (or keep) 4 or 5 anchor players, game changers, and build around them, plugging with low cost FAs and rookies? You can't afford lots of pricey players if you're signing Reilly to $600k. 

It will be interesting to see the timing of FA with the new CBA. 

We know Hervey wants Reilly.

Losing Loffler in the grand scheme of things on defense will not hinder us at all...And if his salary is going to balloon into the 130-150k a season territory it's time to cut bait..we got 3 all-star seasons out of him..what more can you ask for...Safety is the easiest position to fill and we already have guys in-house who can play it and not make the defense regress

Loffler has been pretty meh in the last season and a half.  I'd be happy if we retained him as he can crush people and is often in the right place at the right time now BUT hes expendable.  we can fill the spot in house with someone we have already (konteh or Jones could probably start)  or use one of our 2 firsts on the best safety/DB available

• 4 weeks later...

Why would cfl players who likely look at cost of living as a factor, why would they sign in BC when their money goes further in WPG SASK etc.. 

If im a cfl player, and im only here PT really... BC and Montreal are not my 2 preferred spots. 

Rent. Food.etc.

Heres 50 bucks FAM. I dont think so. 

Edited by Goalie

Most players likely don't look at the cost of living. They are only in town for 6 months. They stay with other players, not by themselves. They get help from 'boosters'. They get invited out. They get their drinks paid for at bars.

All players on their first contract have zero choice where they go. Once they've had a couple of years in a place it's more like 'home' than another CFL city, unless it's actually home.

If I was 20 something, I'd rather go to BC or Montreal or even Toronto than some prairie town that's a bit cheaper.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Most players likely don't look at the cost of living. They are only in town for 6 months. They stay with other players, not by themselves. They get help from 'boosters'. They get invited out. They get their drinks paid for at bars.

All players on their first contract have zero choice where they go. Once they've had a couple of years in a place it's more like 'home' than another CFL city, unless it's actually home.

If I was 20 something, I'd rather go to BC or Montreal or even Toronto than some prairie town that's a bit cheaper.

Who you calling cheap????????????