Needs for next year

blue85gold

12 hours ago, Mark F said:

yes, ball size for those two, He said there isn't much difference now, I didn't know that.

Yeah they reduced the diameter I think last year...? I could be wrong maybe it's still to come. But I remember them making chances that will make the ball essentially an NFL ball with strips.

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's exactly what Tburg did. He blamed Nichols on his overthrow & didn't on the Streveler overthrow. He's just backtracking.

That's BS. I blamed both for their overthrows and BLM for his. I attach more blame to Nichols because he's vet not a rookie. He was warmed up. It wasn't his first and only throw. He wasn't in his first playoff game. He's paid to make those throws in the big game. I was responding to a poster who was blaming Steverler for the loss, which is ridiculous.

13 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

That's BS. I blamed both for their overthrows and BLM for his. I attach more blame to Nichols because he's vet not a rookie. He was warmed up. It wasn't his first and only throw. He wasn't in his first playoff game. He's paid to make those throws in the big game. I was responding to a poster who was blaming Steverler for the loss, which is ridiculous.

Maybe if you post it a thousand times the Nichols  fans will get it into their heads.

It wasn't Streveler's first playoff game, either.

One play doesn't make or break a game, anyway. Should Nichols have thrown a crisper pass? Yes. Should Adams have not given up on his route? Yes. Both players share responsibility in that play not being successful. However, that one unsuccessful play wasn't the reason the Bombers lost the WF.

7 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

One play doesn't make or break a game, anyway. Should Nichols have thrown a crisper pass? Yes. Should Adams have not given up on his route? Yes. Both players share responsibility in that play not being successful. However, that one unsuccessful play wasn't the reason the Bombers lost the WF.

It may not have been the sole reason for the loss.....but it sure could have been a top three play in a win.

Nichols longest completion of the first half was 9 yds.  He did that once.  One other pass for 7, all others were 5 or less.   He didn't actually complete a 10 yards pass (and it was only 10, on 2nd and 15) until 8:12 left in the 4th quarter.  His first big play, a 26 yard pass didn't come until after the 3 minute warning.    How the coaching staff stood by this for as long as they did was baffling.

But if the game plan was in fact to dink & dunk the whole way through, when it wasn't working, Nichols should be having a chat with LaPo when on the sideline and talk about "opening it up" .  This probably never happened because it takes him out of his comfort zone of 5 yard passes.

He can't scramble, he can't stretch plays with his feet to let people get open downfield, he can't recognize when to call an audible or point out a weak spot a D is showing, and when even the slightest bit of pressure gets near him, he folds like a cheap camping chair.    This, for the extremely low price of 450K in 2019!    I can't wait!!

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It was Streveler's first CFL playoff game. Better?

1 hour ago, trueBlue83 said:

Nichols longest completion of the first half was 9 yds.  He did that once.  One other pass for 7, all others were 5 or less.   He didn't actually complete a 10 yards pass (and it was only 10, on 2nd and 15) until 8:12 left in the 4th quarter.  His first big play, a 26 yard pass didn't come until after the 3 minute warning.    How the coaching staff stood by this for as long as they did was baffling.

But if the game plan was in fact to dink & dunk the whole way through, when it wasn't working, Nichols should be having a chat with LaPo when on the sideline and talk about "opening it up" .  This probably never happened because it takes him out of his comfort zone of 5 yard passes.

He can't scramble, he can't stretch plays with his feet to let people get open downfield, he can't recognize when to call an audible or point out a weak spot a D is showing, and when even the slightest bit of pressure gets near him, he folds like a cheap camping chair.    This, for the extremely low price of 450K in 2019!    I can't wait!!

This post is so full of **** it's not even funny. There were plenty of times Nichols scrambled to extend the plays and no one got open for him. The fact is that Lapolice loves to dink and dunk down the field and Nichols is just going with the game plan. Blame Lapo for that horseshit not the qb. 

This debate over who to hang is unresolvable in this forum. We do not know and will probably never know who called what play, and who screwed up . The evidence is in the game film and the logs of the OC, and we will not see those. Part of O'Shea's modus operandi is to trot out platitudes and not tell it like it was. There is the need to not throw a given player or players under the bus, but the assembled faithful would feel a lot more involved if we had a sense of what was really going on and how it was going to be addressed. All we have is speculation and that gets old real fast.

32 minutes ago, Tracker said:

This debate over who to hang is unresolvable in this forum. We do not know and will probably never know who called what play, and who screwed up . The evidence is in the game film and the logs of the OC, and we will not see those. Part of O'Shea's modus operandi is to trot out platitudes and not tell it like it was. There is the need to not throw a given player or players under the bus, but the assembled faithful would feel a lot more involved if we had a sense of what was really going on and how it was going to be addressed. All we have is speculation and that gets old real fast.

I personally would love to see another 3 pages of this completely fascinating debate..........

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

This post is so full of **** it's not even funny. There were plenty of times Nichols scrambled to extend the plays and no one got open for him. The fact is that Lapolice loves to dink and dunk down the field and Nichols is just going with the game plan. Blame Lapo for that horseshit not the qb. 

scrambled and threw it to the sidelines maybe.   if LaPo is calling such bad plays, how come Nichols never seems to challenge him on the sideline and get on the headset?  You never see that.  You also never see him change any plays at the line.   LaPo may call certain plays, but the QB should have the wherewithal to change them if he reads something in the D he doesn't like.   But when that's not happening, you have no one left to blame but the guy behind centre, because ultimately, the plays still need to be executed by him, and no one else.   Just to say no one is getting open... I think you've listened to that post game press conference from the Calgary regular season game a few too many times.

Hey I saw the entirety of the field, when Nichols rolled no one was open. Harris was covered cause calgary ain't dumb and the only other option was one guy downfield who calgary rightly doubled up knowing there was no one else. It's on lapo to give Nichols some options when things break down, unfortunately on lapoland it's Harris or Harris are the options.

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Other reports from people say there were people open,  and that there were other better options many times than what Nichols chose to do with the ball. 

They are wrong. Those people wanted Nichols to throw back across his body. You want that? I don't. Maybe you do though, good way to get intercepted.

3 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Other reports from people say there were people open,  and that there were other better options many times than what Nichols chose to do with the ball. 

I only went to one game this season,   it was very clear that Nichols had many guys wide open and simply did not see them.    He also was very hesitant on making throws and played scared IMO ,  reminded me a lot of Drew Willy after he was banged around and shell shocked.     Streveler went in and instantly found targets not named Harris and instantly the team started to move down the field.      

Perhaps some folks on here with season tickets can shed more light on what they have seen?   I didn't see many odds and sods this year when the offense wasn't moving and where Nichols was not pointed out for being the main reason for the issues. 

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

They are wrong. Those people wanted Nichols to throw back across his body. You want that? I don't. Maybe you do though, good way to get intercepted.

So people were open, but Nichols would have had to throw back across his body.....is your new excuse...... that explanation would make me think why doesn't Nichols position himself better so he can throw to those who are open without having to throw back across his body.  Bottom line though is.....people were open, but just not open where it was easy for Nichols to throw the ball ?