Needs for next year

blue85gold

Just now, TBURGESS said:

The real point is that the ball was overthrown to a wide open Adams. Adams wouldn't catch up to it no matter how hard he tried, but the Nichols apologist's need it to be someone else's fault.

Streveler missing his only throw of the game doesn't make him Nealon Green 2.0 or a bad QB, no matter how many times some folks want to make that the story.

Rich coming from the guy who says that Nichols never wins games but blames him for every loss. 

Adams runs, he gets that ball. Instead, he dogs it and misses his route. Now it's Nichols fault when players don't run the routes that they practice? 

7 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Maybe Harris never got to where he was supposed to be either on Strevelers toss (?).......

either way....how come nobody is calling for Adams to be replaced if he is out there just  "dogging" it ?...... 

I think a lot of people are calling for Adams to be replaced... well not so much replaced, but bumped down a spot or two in the WR hierarchy... 

7 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Maybe Harris never got to where he was supposed to be either on Strevelers toss (?).......

either way....how come nobody is calling for Adams to be replaced if he is out there just  "dogging" it ?...... 

Harris busted his ass trying to get that pass. Trust me, I was sitting in the stands for both plays. Harris damn near tracked that ball down, Adams stopped running well before the ball was anywhere close to him. Massive difference. Had a great view of both plays. Nichols throws the ball and Adams stops running and then realized he ****** up and tried to catch up but was too late. Harris is open and sees the ball going too far and tries hard to get there but can't quite make it. That's the difference. 

Adams was wide open cause no one went to cover him and thought he could just stand there for an easy TD, Nichols expected him to keep taking his route to the endzone. 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Adams was wide open cause no one went to cover him and thought he could just stand there for an easy TD, Nichols expected him to keep taking his route to the endzone. 

If Adams was wide open for an easy TD,  then how come Nichols never seen that and gave him the easy TD instead of making it harder on him ?

19 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

If Adams was wide open for an easy TD,  then how come Nichols never seen that and gave him the easy TD instead of making it harder on him ?

Because by the time Adam's stopped running the ball was already thrown. He keeps going to the endzone like the route is supposed to do he let up.

18 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

cause that's not how football works....? Rec is told to run a route. QB is given options. If he sees a rec open, he throws it with the route the rec is supposed to be running in mind. If one or the other does something different without the other knowing or picking up on it, you get an incomplete pass.

11 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Just watched five or six times he never quit running ball was missed judged. Looked like it sails on him at the last moment.

Misjudged or dogged it, the bottom line is the receiver ****** that one up more than the qb. It wasn't a super windy day, to me Adam's let up. Yeah he was running, but not hard.

48 minutes ago, JCon said:

Rich coming from the guy who says that Nichols never wins games but blames him for every loss. 

Adams runs, he gets that ball. Instead, he dogs it and misses his route. Now it's Nichols fault when players don't run the routes that they practice? 

Get your facts straight. I blame Nichols personally for the 2 Riders losses, because he gave the ball away, which was the difference maker in those 2 games. Nichols was a difference maker in his 300 yard game too, this time in a good way. The rest of the games, he wasn't a difference maker in my opinion. He's a game manager who is at his best when he doesn't give the ball away, which is all we really ask of him. He doesn't run well or throw deep well. He's accurate on the short passes and makes quick decisions. He's better than Willy was or any of a bunch of other poor QB's that we tried to win with, but that's not a high bar.

For some folks around here and Nichols himself, it's always someone else's fault. Bottom line... Nichols missed another open receiver, just like Streveler and  BLM did.

BTW: That game didn't come down to 1 play anyway. It was a combo of several things. 75 yards passing by the end of the 3rd quarter. Missing 2 deep balls. No TD drives, when Calgary got 3. Playing not to lose instead of taking chances. Waiting for the turn over to go our way, then doing nothing with it. Not giving Streveler a couple of sets of downs early in the 4th to see if he could jump start our O. A bad punt. Some iffy kick coverage.

Edited by TBURGESS

Sports are rarely to never about 1 guy tho.. Anyone who has played would tell you that so blaming 1 guy is pretty dumb. 

Football especially... Uninformed fans can troll online and blame this guy or whoever the whipping boy is that particular game but in football especially.. U win as a team.. U lose as a team. 

QB could be better? Sure..

WR could have caught that? Sure 

LB could have made the tackle? Ok 

Its never 1 guy. 

There is 1 team sport where u can blame 1 guy... Baseball.. Because essentially baseball comes down to pitcher vs hitter. 

Edited by Goalie

12 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Sports are rarely to never about 1 guy tho.. Anyone who has played would tell you that so blaming 1 guy is pretty dumb. 

Football especially... Uninformed fans can troll online and blame this guy or whoever the whipping boy is that particular game but in football especially.. U win as a team.. U lose as a team. 

QB could be better? Sure..

WR could have caught that? Sure 

LB could have made the tackle? Ok 

Its never 1 guy. 

There is 1 team sport where u can blame 1 guy... Baseball.. Because essentially baseball comes down to pitcher vs hitter. 

yup, couldn't agree more. Mistakes made are often put on the shoulders of players who didn't even make the mistake...they just didn't get the pass off, or dropped the ball etc like you said. In football, mistakes/missed assignments etc have a ripple affect.

On 2018-12-13 at 10:35 AM, Tracker said:

2019 will give O'Shea a fresh start, and it will be up to him to prove that he is not blindly loyal and stubborn to a fault. If he does well, all will be forgiven. If the team stumbles for the same reasons as seasons past, all of the wolves will howl.

What do you mean "fresh start"? Like you said about Nichols, O'Shea is likely to perform the same as he always has. My question was about how far the loyalty should go. If Nichols sucks and gets us going on another extended losing streak do we have to endure it as long as we did last year?  I mean, shouldn't we have seen more of Streveler during that losing streak last year? 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

It was like 4 games....? 🤔 If you have faith in your starter, give him a chance to work his way out of it. Nichols was great once he got back on track and proved their faith in him was warranted... 

What does that mean, "work his way out of it"? Does anyone ever really work their way out of something? In my experience all that really happens is you only make it worse. You're better off shutting it down sometimes and coming back at it fresh further down the road.

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I was Jus sayin that the announcers talked about it before and during the beginning of the game. About it possibly being a factor during the game.  

Oh well if TSN said it then excuse me. They are above reproach in their commentary. Trust me, I was in the stands, it wasn't that windy. If it was I'd have been freezing my nuts off.

2 hours ago, J5V said:

What do you mean "fresh start"? Like you said about Nichols, O'Shea is likely to perform the same as he always has. My question was about how far the loyalty should go. If Nichols sucks and gets us going on another extended losing streak do we have to endure it as long as we did last year?  I mean, shouldn't we have seen more of Streveler during that losing streak last year? 

Fans have notoriously short memories, so if the team does well out of the gate, all will be forgiven. Nichols does not have to be an all-star but if he repeats his play of this year, it will either of two things: either he needs to be replaced or the rest of the offence will have to play light out to compensate.

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Misjudged or dogged it, the bottom line is the receiver ****** that one up more than the qb. It wasn't a super windy day, to me Adam's let up. Yeah he was running, but not hard.

We see that all the time. The receiver  believes the qb can't get the ball to him so he slows down & then realizes too late that yes indeed, the qb has the arm to have gotten the ball to him so he never should have given up on the pass. You see it at the high school level from inexperienced receivers & unfortunately at the pro level from players that should know better.  At the pro level it's more laziness than being wrong about arm strength.

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

Fans have notoriously short memories, so if the team does well out of the gate, all will be forgiven. Nichols does not have to be an all-star but if he repeats his play of this year, it will either of two things: either he needs to be replaced or the rest of the offence will have to play light out to compensate.

If he shovel-passes another one to an opposing rusher that goes for an easy six their memories will be just fine and if O'Shea force feeds us that crap for the sake of loyalty I can't think of anything that'll turn off this fan base more (or enrage it). How long is Nichol's leash? 5 games, 10, until he "works himself out of it", until it's too late?