Needs for next year

blue85gold

Just now, Jesse said:

That particular one probably fits under the obvious troll category. 

Gotcha. 

Now, speculating on the obvious (no playoff, no major sporting event, etc) will mean lower secondary revenue, then I agree. But, I would expect that given the shortage of bigtime events this year. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Gotcha. 

Now, speculating on the obvious (no playoff, no major sporting event, etc) will mean lower secondary revenue, then I agree. But, I would expect that given the shortage of bigtime events this year. 

Of course.

There are obviously going to be up and down years in terms of secondary revenue streams.

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

Gotcha. 

Any  ideas on why there are not more big time events being scheduled at the stadium during the summer ?.....since the opening of the stadium I have been expecting a few more outdoor concerts there.....

20 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Hohoho.....fan.....by definition coms from the word fanatic. I have no expectation that there is any direct connection between objectivity and subjectivity.  Having spent 30 years in professional sport I understand that teams are dependent upon their “fan base”.  I attended a sports marketing conference and the speaker emphasized that given the fact that winning and losing is a 50-50 proposition the onus on team is to sell the notion of “hope”....hope for the future. 

Forgive me if I don’t quality as a sports fan. I watch sports in hope of seeing great plays, execution, competition and athletisism where the outcome maybe in doubt and might hinge on the final minute, the last pass, shot or play regardless of the team, player or sport.

isn't this kind of the same thing as saying "I just hope they all have fun out there" 😄

13 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Any  ideas on why there are not more big time events being scheduled at the stadium during the summer ?.....since the opening of the stadium I have been expecting a few more outdoor concerts there.....

There just aren't a lot of acts that can play in a stadium and are currently touring or touring during the right months anyway.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Meh. At the end of the day, we're here to generate discussion. It's all conjecture.

Outside a couple of obvious trolls, I don't mind people throwing out wild theories. 

Not when it's based on nothing rational (and when there's a track record of similarly absurd comments). There's no need for that at all.

And as @JCon pointed out, making accusations of the criminal variety is totally unacceptable. There is absolutely not a single shred of evidence to suggest anything of the sort.

49 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

There just aren't a lot of acts that can play in a stadium and are currently touring or touring during the right months anyway.

Right months, right timing, the dollar is weaker, etc

Also, since big multi-band touring is not popular right now, we don't see events like Another Roadside Attraction.

30 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Not when it's based on nothing rational (and when there's a track record of similarly absurd comments). There's no need for that at all.

And as @JCon pointed out, making accusations of the criminal variety is totally unacceptable. There is absolutely not a single shred of evidence to suggest anything of the sort.

I would concur.  Wild theories are entertaining at best and annoying at worst, but libel is another thing altogether.  There should be zero tolerance for that sort of garbage.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Right months, right timing, the dollar is weaker, etc

Also, since big multi-band touring is not popular right now, we don't see events like Another Roadside Attraction.

events like these haven't happened for a long time.... it's more about festivals now, like a Lollapalooza, Bonnaroo, Coachella..... its easier on the bands to go one place and let the fans come to them.  I doubt we see anything like an Edgefest / Summersault ever again, which is unfortunate.  Its just the nature of the music business now though!

As far as attendance / ticket sales.... if Wade is giving away tickets, that's his deal and will be up to him to explain & justify.  To me, if he's "donating" to key corporate sponsors who are spending advertising dollars with the club every season, I'm fine with it.  It's better to have more people coming through the building and spending money on concessions than it is to have empty seats.   Now as a season ticket holder, I don't really like to see people getting free tickets, but they need to try and generate extra revenue somehow I guess.

1 minute ago, trueBlue83 said:

events like these haven't happened for a long time.... it's more about festivals now, like a Lollapalooza, Bonnaroo, Coachella..... its easier on the bands to go one place and let the fans come to them.  I doubt we see anything like an Edgefest / Summersault ever again, which is unfortunate.  Its just the nature of the music business now though!

As far as attendance / ticket sales.... if Wade is giving away tickets, that's his deal and will be up to him to explain & justify.  To me, if he's "donating" to key corporate sponsors who are spending advertising dollars with the club every season, I'm fine with it.  It's better to have more people coming through the building and spending money on concessions than it is to have empty seats.   Now as a season ticket holder, I don't really like to see people getting free tickets, but they need to try and generate extra revenue somehow I guess.

That's what it is. Also, I believe they count every spot in the box seats. Not that it amounts to much. 

I don't see the Bombers giving out many tickets. A few, near the end of the season, but less than 100, I'm sure. 

I'm not sure if this has any relevance here, but a CFO of a sizeable company said that on a $100 million operating budget, and using perfectly acceptable accounting practices, a competent accountant could turn a $3 million profit into a $3 million loss or vice versa.

55 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I'm not sure if this has any relevance here, but a CFO of a sizeable company said that on a $100 million operating budget, and using perfectly acceptable accounting practices, a competent accountant could turn a $3 million profit into a $3 million loss or vice versa.

That would be timing and accounting treatment issue. You could do something in one year but it would correct itself the following year. 

Revenue recognition would be the one thing. I don't think, for an operation like the Bombers, where most of their revenue is earned during the middle months of their fiscal year, that they could do much.

But, anyone could read the notes to the financial statements and see how the revenue was treated. 

Most people are not privy to the detailed audited financial statements of the Bombers, only the Annual Report. 

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

I would also point out that while that is true, it would be obvious to anyone skilled in reading financial statements how the numbers were arrived at.  What was being suggested here though was malfeasance without any evidence other than "some of my coffee buddies, who are really old too, say that they think there was shenanigans." 

As I anticipate the start of the 2019 season I am immediately concerned with the loyalty thing from O'Shea and the decline in Nichols game. I'm not convinced our QB has what it takes to win a championship game, especially after the dreadful showing against Calgary in the WF. But whether it's the Matt Nichols loyalty program in 2018 or the Sam Hurl loyalty program in 2017 this loyalty thing from O'Shea needs adjustment. If Matt gets off to a bad/poor start will O'Shea stick with him again and if so, for how long? 

13 hours ago, J5V said:

As I anticipate the start of the 2019 season I am immediately concerned with the loyalty thing from O'Shea and the decline in Nichols game. I'm not convinced our QB has what it takes to win a championship game, especially after the dreadful showing against Calgary in the WF. But whether it's the Matt Nichols loyalty program in 2018 or the Sam Hurl loyalty program in 2017 this loyalty thing from O'Shea needs adjustment. If Matt gets off to a bad/poor start will O'Shea stick with him again and if so, for how long? 

2019 will give O'Shea a fresh start, and it will be up to him to prove that he is not blindly loyal and stubborn to a fault. If he does well, all will be forgiven. If the team stumbles for the same reasons as seasons past, all of the wolves will howl.

I think he will re-visit and learn from the past where he finally made the switch from Willy to Nichols...he's seen this played out before, so if he has progressed as a coach as it seems...he will make the switch to at least see if Streveler sparks the team sooner than later...

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

His record as starter doesn't show that...

Maybe not the actual record,  but his play sure did.  And as the season went you could see how he lifted the team when he came in for short yardage plays.  I think it was even more so when the offence knew he was going to be left in for a play or two after the short yardage play.  And besides all that wins and losses are a team record.  Nichols has got....to be looking over his shoulder this off season. 

Just because he lifted a tent in your pants doesn't mean he lifted the team as much as you think he did. 

Nichols is still a better qb than Streveler and the results show that. Yes Streveler did well for a rookie and showed a lot of potential, but he's still young and has to keep progressing. I think he will personally but you just never know. 

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Just because he lifted a tent in your pants doesn't mean he lifted the team as much as you think he did. 

Nichols is still a better qb than Streveler and the results show that. Yes Streveler did well for a rookie and showed a lot of potential, but he's still young and has to keep progressing. I think he will personally but you just never know. 

That is funny.

2 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Maybe not the actual record,  but his play sure did.  And as the season went you could see how he lifted the team when he came in for short yardage plays.  I think it was even more so when the offence knew he was going to be left in for a play or two after the short yardage play.  And besides all that wins and losses are a team record.  Nichols has got....to be looking over his shoulder this off season. 

Discussing Streveler: Wins don't matter... as longs as he's inspiring the team...

Discussing Nichols: Who cares if he wins every game... have you seen his passing stats?!?