Needs for next year

blue85gold

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

More BS. Show me where I made excuses for his play or claimed he didn't have a mediocre season.

My comment regarding his injury was strictly to do with how that physical issue could've affected him mentally. Again: I suggest you actually read what others post. I won't claim to know at what percentage he was but his play was obviously affected by what happened in TC in early June, whether physical, mental, or both. That was evident for the majority of the season save perhaps the final home game vs. CGY.

Physical ailments and mental struggles are not mutually exclusive, especially for players at a crucial position like QB.

Jesus... this is where things got confused.    It was SpeedFlex who said 'Nichols is not mediocre' and then you commented on my response to that.  Got the comments mixed up!  My apologies.

28 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

so you wouldn't place Trevor Harris or Jeremiah Massoli ahead of Matt Nichols?   Ray is done... I will be absolutely shocked if he doesn't retire.  He's probably still got the tools to give it one more go, but with the freak injury he sustained, you've got to think between him & his family, they'll decide to hang em up!  He has nothing more to prove.... especially not playing on the Argos squad.

They're both inconsistent players so no I wouldn't put them ahead of Nichols. We go back to last year and Nichols is ahead of those guys, one year doesn't change things significantly. You must look at the entire picture. Nichols is a guy who you can win with and he's shown that he can win when he doesn't have the defense backing him up either. 

6 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

No, because those sorts of things do not need to be known by the general public.  The sense of entitlement is strong in this one.

I tend to disagree somewhat.  If a professional organization is not putting out the best product possible,  then as a fan I should be allowed to know why.  Especiallly if it is because they are leaving healthier options to sit on the bench.  Plus I only have so much free cash to spend,  and I want to support organizations that truly appear to want to win.

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

They're both inconsistent players so no I wouldn't put them ahead of Nichols. We go back to last year and Nichols is ahead of those guys, one year doesn't change things significantly. You must look at the entire picture. Nichols is a guy who you can win with and he's shown that he can win when he doesn't have the defense backing him up either. 

But in 2016-17, Nichols was largely successful when defences weren't keying in on the dump pass to Harris.  Teams have adjusted, which is proof based on this receiving production this season.  When you take away that short pass, Nichols doesn't seem to have nearly the success.   If the offence is built to run and play the short pass game, having a mobile QB is going to be essential.  Nichols is a pocket passer, and he has lower than average completion % when going long.  This is a problem.

At least Harris & Massoli are a threat to connect on the deep balll.  For that, my opinion is they both rank ahead of Nichols.

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

There is no etc, it's those guys and no one else and even Ray is probably too old to really be considered in that group. After those two guys you're left trying to find someone who is good enough, which Nichols has shown plenty of times that he is. 

You don't win as many games as he has for this team by accident. 

And you do not find yourself being rated as being somewhere between the 5th or 7th best quarterback in the league by accident, either.

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You know, I was thinking. Every team including the Bombers have so many free agents to deal with. This whole thread may become totally irrelevant if we can't sign our core veterans. Specific needs may become huge holes to fill. Pretty nervous time to be a Bomber fan. 

But so is every other team. They won't be able to lock up their key guys and ours too. So, there many be some musical chairs but I don't think we'll be dramatically better or worse through FA. 

That being said, I agree that this thread will change dramatically before the start of FA. 

16 hours ago, Floyd said:

I'll get lit up... but I'd replace McManus with Murphy in a heartbeat

For all his faults, the guy can find receivers...

Murphy has shown to be a strong personnel guy... as long as he has someone credible to reign him in... he was most successful under Huff, because Huff would keep him in his place...

19 hours ago, White Out said:

I'm not sure why people keep engaging northernskunk like he's a good faith poster. He won't admit he's wrong even when confronted with direct tweets from the Bombers themselves. He's a bad faith participant and his opinions should hold zero value.

30 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

An when people have to edit a personal attack it makes you wonder if they really had anything intelligent to say to begin with.

lol.

10 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Almost as lame as ppl who lol after their own stuff

6 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I have learned here that if I don't apply the lol then some don't realize when my comments are meant for a laugh. 

W6xG4Nd.gif

1. A burning desire to win. No we don't have one, never have with this regime. One or the other needs to change.

2. A reality check. There are players on this team that suck yet think they play great. They don't. They suck. Wake up.

3. A massive upgrade to the scouting department, re: receivers

4. A head coach that:

a) can manage a game properly

b) knows when to throw a challenge flag

c) is willing to play his best players