Needs for next year

blue85gold

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Dream scenario for me next year (and let's keep in mind I don't claim to believe we could come even remotely close to affording this under the cap without either a huge boost in the CBA or a deep cut somewhere else) would be to see us trot out Harris, Adams, Wolitarsky, Mitchell, Jalen Saunders and Simonise. Throw Adams and Simonise out wide, use Woli/Bryant/Saunders in the slot and you'd have the potential to be the most prolific offence in the league.

tenor.gif?itemid=5239711

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

or you know you could look at all the other times I also said that he's not a #1 and things of that nature. 

Fact is that Adams sometimes dogs it. He coulda had a touchdown in the west final in Calgary if he hadn't stopped running. Fact is he's a great guy to have as your #3 receiver, probably OK as your #2 behind a real star, but if he's your best guy you ain't gonna be successful enough. 

I light thee up!

6 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Streveler was picking up steam going into week 4...?

Image result for LOL gif

His week 3 stat line: 17/30 (56.7%), 146 yards, 4.9 YPC.

Hilarious revisionist history. Only to be followed up with hopelessly rampant speculation (Streveler would've won those games, he'd have put up better numbers). LOL

My point is that we were going into a back to back situation against BC, arguably the weakest team in the West to start the year.  Even with Nichols like production, Streveler could have come out with the W in those games.

Bombers won 41-19.   Nichols stat line:  16/29 (55.2%) for 162 yds.   Wow!   That's a huge improvement!  The QB play regressed slightly, but we still came out with the W.  Sorry to trump your ridiculous theory that we couldn't have won that without almighty Matt behind centre!

Edited by trueBlue83

26 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

My point is that we were going into a back to back situation against BC, arguably the weakest team in the West to start the year.  Even with Nichols like production, Streveler could have come out with the W in those games.

Bombers won 41-19.   Nichols stat line:  16/29 (55.2%) for 162 yds.   Wow!   That's a huge improvement!  The QB play regressed slightly, but we still came out with the W.  Sorry to trump your ridiculous theory that we couldn't have won that without almighty Matt behind centre!

You're speculating based on pure assumption and an obvious emotional bias.

"Streveler starting to pick up some steam" (No, he wasn't. He was downright bad in that week 3 loss to the Ti-Cats)
"...him telling the medical staff that he's ready to go, when he probably truly wasn't." (You know nothing, so don't make claims you can't substantiate)
"I'm guessing Nichols wanted those easy W's next to his name and rushed back." (What nonsense)
"Streveler would have picked up wins in those games as well, and he knew it.  Probably would have put up better numbers too!" (More rampant speculation based on nothing more than your dislike of a player)

I know it's fun for you to dump on #15 to your heart's content and blame him and only him for that WSF loss, but if you're going to "make a point" while doing so, at least be rational and objective about it. The fact is you made no point and you trumped absolutely nothing.

And I didn't theorize anything, either. Do you know what a theory even is? It's like you didn't even my post and just blurted out a bunch of triggered, immature gibberish. Go back and read what I actually posted.

I'd also suggest consulting a dictionary before you attempt to deride others and misuse words you clearly don't understand (see the bolded words highlighted for you).

50 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

"Streveler starting to pick up some steam" (No, he wasn't. He was downright bad in that week 3 loss to the Ti-Cats)
"...him telling the medical staff that he's ready to go, when he probably truly wasn't." (You know nothing, so don't make claims you can't substantiate)
"I'm guessing Nichols wanted those easy W's next to his name and rushed back." (What nonsense)
"Streveler would have picked up wins in those games as well, and he knew it.  Probably would have put up better numbers too!" (More rampant speculation based on nothing more than your dislike of a player)

I know it's fun for you to dump on #15 to your heart's content and blame him and only him for that WSF loss, but if you're going to "make a point" while doing so, at least be rational and objective about it. The fact is you made no point and you trumped absolutely nothing.

And I didn't theorize anything, either. Do you know what a theory even is? It's like you didn't even my post and just blurted out a bunch of triggered, immature gibberish. Go back and read what I actually posted.

I'd also suggest consulting a dictionary before you attempt to deride others and misuse words you clearly don't understand (see the bolded words highlighted for you).

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yes, I am simply speculating.   Isn't that what the basis of this site is?  Opinions & speculation?

Streveler may not have been picking up steam, that was a poor choice of words.  But I think him getting a few more games would have done wonders for his development, because once Nichols was ready, he would have lots of game film of his to study and then some time on the sideline to watch and learn.

And I did go back and read what you wrote.... you said Nichols knee was hurt.  So... yeah, you want to talk about making claims you can't substantiate.  Where have you heard or read proof of this?

11 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

Yes, I am simply speculating.   Isn't that what the basis of this site is?  Opinions & speculation?

Streveler may not have been picking up steam, that was a poor choice of words.  But I think him getting a few more games would have done wonders for his development, because once Nichols was ready, he would have lots of game film of his to study and then some time on the sideline to watch and learn.

And I did go back and read what you wrote.... you said Nichols knee was hurt.  So... yeah, you want to talk about making claims you can't substantiate.  Where have you heard or read proof of this?

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/06/06/report-nichols-leaves-practice-apparent-injury/

"...Nichols exited practice Wednesday with an apparent knee injury, according to multiple reports."

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/06/07/matt-nichols-miss-4-6-weeks/

"...suffering an apparent knee injury in Wednesday’s practice..."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/blue-bombers-matt-nichols-1.4696253

"...Nichols will miss 4-6 weeks with an unspecified right knee injury."

There are three of over a dozen sources on the ol' Google Machine indicating the injury he sustained in TC. Maybe try Google sometime.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/06/06/report-nichols-leaves-practice-apparent-injury/

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/06/07/matt-nichols-miss-4-6-weeks/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/blue-bombers-matt-nichols-1.4696253

There are three of over a dozen sources on the ol' Google Machine indicating the injury he sustained in TC. Maybe try Google sometime.

Slow down with the facts. They don't fit the narrative. 

Just now, JCon said:

Slow down with the facts. They don't fit the narrative. 

Seriously, it's just pathetic to see the lengths to which some go here to peddle their BS. Even when proven incorrect, it's just more BS, deflection, and goalpost-moving. There should be warnings and/or temporary bans handed out for that annoying garbage. All it does is clutter up threads and take away from actual worthwhile discussion here.

It was broadcast everywhere back in early June what happened to Nichols and a simple open source internet search shows just that. One would have to be seriously unintelligent, ignorant, or flat out delusional to ignore/forget it.

none that I heard...but from experience with these issues, and things I have seen with former teamates my best guess is he had a slight tear of his medial collateral ligament...something you don't need to have surgery for, and can manage with a brace unless you totally shred it....or a possible ACL sprain where nothing was torn but required some rest, then use of a brace to support it and give a bit of extra stability so as not to re-aggravate it..or tear it....and the fact that he wore it all year lends me to think it may have been ACL related, and watching him not being able to drop back and really set like he used to...and make the throws he should have been tells me he had ACL issues as he had no solid base/foundation to work from for a good part of the year

I wasn't talking about the training camp injury.....everyone knows that happened.  You indicated he was "probably dealing with an injury all season".  I am yet to see anything stating that Nichols was dealing with a major injury at the end of the year.   Everyone thought 'good, he's back to normal' after the bye week post Banjo Bowl.   So... saying he was hurt all season, you're making assumptions.

generally speaking from experience...you won't wear a knee brace all year at a skill position (ie QB/RB/WR/DB) unless there is a need for it....as in an injury, or a condition due to any injury that would hamper your play

Lineman will wear them for preventative measures, but anyone else will toss that brace away as soon as they physically are able to...so this suggests that Nichols was dealing with something all year, and it got somewhat better as the season went on...but it was painfully obvious to a person who knows what they are looking at...or for..that there was something that was preventing him to have any mobility early on, let alone be able to set up and throw properly, and it got in his head and he tried to compensate for it, and in a few games do really stupid **** to try and make something happen out there...and he looked horrible in doing so

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

generally speaking from experience...you won't wear a knee brace all year at a skill position (ie QB/RB/WR/DB) unless there is a need for it....as in an injury, or a condition due to any injury that would hamper your play

Lineman will wear them for preventative measures, but anyone else will toss that brace away as soon as they physically are able to...so this suggests that Nichols was dealing with something all year, and it got somewhat better as the season went on...but it was painfully obvious to a person who knows what they are looking at...or for..that there was something that was preventing him to have any mobility early on, let alone be able to set up and throw properly, and it got in his head and he tried to compensate for it, and in a few games do really stupid **** to try and make something happen out there...and he looked horrible in doing so

So if your speculation was/is correct......wouldn't that make the coaching staff look look really wrong for leaving him in the games so much ?  Especially after that terrible four game stretch.  Because I can  understand going with a healthy Nichols over a rookie Big Chris....but I don't agree with going with a gimpy Nichols over Streveler. 

50 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Seriously, it's just pathetic to see the lengths to which some go here to peddle their BS. Even when proven incorrect, it's just more BS, deflection, and goalpost-moving. There should be warnings and/or temporary bans handed out for that annoying garbage. All it does is clutter up threads and take away from actual worthwhile discussion here.

It was broadcast everywhere back in early June what happened to Nichols and a simple open source internet search shows just that. One would have to be seriously unintelligent, ignorant, or flat out delusional to ignore/forget it.

you can call it pathetic all you want... you're the one making excuses for Nichols play and claiming that it wasn't mediocre, with damn near a full season of play that indicates otherwise.

And to claim that I have a dislike for the player... that's fine.  Not totally accurate, as I do like the guy and think he's a good person.  All I'm really trying to get across is that I don't feel this is the guy that's going to get us a Grey Cup.

That said.... the Bomber brass clearly isn't going to make a change between now and training camp, so I'm just going to stop beating this dead horse.  We're stuck with Nichols, and unless Streveler comes to training camp and absolutely steals the starting position, Nichols will be "the guy" to start the 2019 season.  Do I like it?  No.  Does my opinion matter?  No.  We'll just have to see how things go next season to see who's ultimately correct in the assessment of whether Nichols is an elite QB or not.

A couple of points: everything about O'Shea's modus operandi says that he will stick with the status quo as long a she can. His history with the Bombers is replete with examples, so we can expect that Nichols will go into training camp as the anointed one. Nothing about Nichols' track record indicates that he is an elite quarterback ala Bo-Levi, Frito-lay, Reilly etc. He is a good QB, and his acquisition probably saved the jobs of Kyle Walters and maybe even O'Shea. Nichols looks like a more fragile version of Kevin Glenn- he will be only as good as the players around him. Doug Brown's assessment of him as being the 5th or 7th best QB in a nine-team league supports this opinion.

9 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Nothing about Nichols' track record indicates that he is an elite quarterback ala Bo-Levi, Frito-lay, Reilly etc.

There is no etc, it's those guys and no one else and even Ray is probably too old to really be considered in that group. After those two guys you're left trying to find someone who is good enough, which Nichols has shown plenty of times that he is. 

You don't win as many games as he has for this team by accident. 

I have a fair amount of confidence that Nichols will play much better in 2019.  Everybody with eyes could see that he had no mobility in 2018.  While he has never been Tracey Ham he has always had enough mobility to sprint out and through when needed or pick up first downs with his legs when the opportunity was there.  This year, he could see it but just not get there.  

If you want a good example of what limited mobility has on an all-time great QB, just look south to Green Bay.  If Rodgers is himself, they would be in the hunt for playoff seeding.  Instead, they are in the hunt for good draft seeding.  

1 hour ago, trueBlue83 said:

you're the one making excuses for Nichols play and claiming that it wasn't mediocre

More BS. Show me where I made excuses for his play or claimed he didn't have a mediocre season.

My comment regarding his injury was strictly to do with how that physical issue could've affected him mentally. Again: I suggest you actually read what others post. I won't claim to know at what percentage he was but his play was obviously affected by what happened in TC in early June, whether physical, mental, or both. That was evident for the majority of the season save perhaps the final home game vs. CGY.

Physical ailments and mental struggles are not mutually exclusive, especially for players at a crucial position like QB.

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Whatever it is that he has done to win all those games not by an accident....... I wish he would do it more come play offs.

I wonder if there was ever a fan of the Stampeders who said that about their QB over the last decade?  They should have dumped him for a new shiny quarter as well I guess.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

There is no etc, it's those guys and no one else and even Ray is probably too old to really be considered in that group. After those two guys you're left trying to find someone who is good enough, which Nichols has shown plenty of times that he is. 

You don't win as many games as he has for this team by accident. 

so you wouldn't place Trevor Harris or Jeremiah Massoli ahead of Matt Nichols?   Ray is done... I will be absolutely shocked if he doesn't retire.  He's probably still got the tools to give it one more go, but with the freak injury he sustained, you've got to think between him & his family, they'll decide to hang em up!  He has nothing more to prove.... especially not playing on the Argos squad.