Needs for next year

blue85gold

4 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Think Nichols gets back to his 2017 level. Really believe he can throw for 5000 yards 30 TDs if he is healthy for the full season.

If he has a good offseason training, and stays healthy all year, I fully believe he can have a big year...

19 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think Nichols was playing with a serious knee in jury which was at its worst in September. That would have affected his performance as a qb. 

Did you ever hear what the injury was? I didn't.

Maybe it affected his entire season.

Considering how quickly Nichols turned his game around after the bye week following the two disastrous outings against the Riders, there has to be a pretty significant shinkological component to his struggles. Nichols received at lot of (deserved) criticism after his poor showing in the western semi-final and that may well affect his confidence going into next year. Or it may undermine the coaches' confidence in Nichols.

I don't care about the past with LaPo and the current receivers....  this past season Nichols had many times where he looked shell shocked like Drew Willy and was either to scared to pull the trigger or was outright missing his reads as he had guys wide open down the field. 

It is disappointing that we have to "hope" that he returns to form. 

15 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Remember the grudge lapo had when he was head coach and mack didn't give him the players he wanted on offense? Remember when oshea hired him he said he was getting more say in the players he had on offense? You think we got guys like Harris and Dressler and Demski in here? Lapo is all about deep shots and short passes with lots of YAC. With khari ir was bombs to stegall and Bruce and dump offs to Roberts and Sellers. His offense looks very similar except he doesn't have a Stegall or even a Bruce now to save his ass. Nichols can throw intermediate passes just fine but we rarely use that part of the field. Lapo wants a big play or to let his athletes pick up yards with their legs.

You’re using the Mack era to make a point - did you type that with a straight face? Remember when Mike Bishop won 13 - 12 with the D generating 5 turnovers? 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

You’re using the Mack era to make a point - did you type that with a straight face? Remember when Mike Bishop won 13 - 12 with the D generating 5 turnovers? 

I am using Lapos sentiments to make a point about how he wanted to get more control of his offensive personnel this time around. 

Just because the teams weren't very good then doesn't mean we just disregard everything that happened during that time. 

4 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I would think that if surgery was necessary, it would have happened already. I am of the opinion that Nichols' biggest problem was between his ears.

Based on what? **** all. If anything he was just scared to get hit because every time he does he gets hurt. He injured himself FFS. 

Edited by Goalie

20 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I would think that if surgery was necessary, it would have happened already. I am of the opinion that Nichols' biggest problem was between his ears.

That could very well be the case. That and getting injured/recovering from an injury are not mutually exclusive. The injury he sustained in training camp was a strange one and it does seem as though he was rushed back into action this past season. It makes me wonder if that got to him and affected his game from a mental standpoint.

He had a very pedestrian season and was downright awful a number of times, too. He has to do whatever it takes this off-season to return to his 2017 - if that's even possible. It's not a good place for him or the organization, IMO. Especially with that bump in pay.

I doubt he goes under the knife this off-season. What I hope happens is he and Walters can renegotiate a restructured contract, something that is more appropriate for his level of production and more team-friendly.

6 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I doubt he goes under the knife this off-season. What I hope happens is he and Walters can renegotiate a restructured contract, something that is more appropriate for his level of production and more team-friendly.

the fact that he can't even take responsibility for his poor play, and shows no accountability at times, I can't see him comprehending why Walters would be asking him to take less money.   How many times did he have his post game show chat with Knuckles & Doug Brown, and say he thought he played well, after a mediocre at best, boarding awful game at times.   Even with awful production, because he didn't throw an INT, he thought he played a great game.   The team has to look at that and think, "if he thinks he's playing well, what's it going to take to think he had a poor game??".  

7 hours ago, Tracker said:

Being physically limited and playing on a team with a subpar receiving core can lead to between the ears problems cropping up.  He needs to go home and get healthy and the team needs to focus on upgrading the receiving core for him.  I honestly think Streveler is saving Nichols job right now.  The fact that Streveler is so promising leads me to believe they are fine with sticking with Nichols as a bridge guy. If there was no shining star on the horizon they might be more interested in looking at other options.

2 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

he thought he played well, after a mediocre at best, boarding awful game at times.   Even with awful production, because he didn't throw an INT, he thought he played a great game

Because that's all lapo aske for. Guy is big on not ******* up and letting the D win for him. We all forget when he was head coach here?

11 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Had to do more cause the D gave up more. Remember, Lapo is the coach who coaches for close games.

So did Streveler just go rogue in Week 2 when the Bombers put up 56 points??

LaPo can build a more creative offence, he's not a moron.  He's playing with the hand he's been dealt.. #15 behind centre limits your play calling capabilities.

46 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

So did Streveler just go rogue in Week 2 when the Bombers put up 56 points??

LaPo can build a more creative offence, he's not a moron.  He's playing with the hand he's been dealt.. #15 behind centre limits your play calling capabilities.

Streveler just beat up a shitty D with his leg and the teams running game guy was still under 300 yards passing in that one let us not forget.