Needs for next year

blue85gold

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

If Ricky Ray is going to play another season and it isn't for the Argos...  I'd imagine he would go to Montreal for starter money...  

I was thinking if he’s going to play another season he might as well play for a good team with a good running game.  If he’s willing to go to Montreal he might as well donate his brain to CTE research now. 

49 minutes ago, J5V said:

Is it possible that receivers don't want to come here because of a) Lapo and his style of offense, and/or b) O'shea and his unwillingness to play players like Petermann, Simonise, Thompkins, and Washington yet players like Lankford play repeatedly despite his lack of performance, and/or c) Matt Nichols and his apparent struggles to get the ball into the hands of his receivers, especially beyond 20 yards? Just asking.

Lankford hasn't played receiver in some time. So no. I don't think so. From all accounts players love playing for MOS. Yeah those big time FA receivers wont come cuz rookies weren't starters. 

U say this and ignore they started Charles Nelson last game so no.. No. Nope. 

Edited by Goalie

11 hours ago, J5V said:

Is it possible that receivers don't want to come here because of a) Lapo and his style of offense, and/or b) O'shea and his unwillingness to play players like Petermann, Simonise, Thompkins, and Washington yet players like Lankford play repeatedly despite his lack of performance, and/or c) Matt Nichols and his apparent struggles to get the ball into the hands of his receivers, especially beyond 20 yards? Just asking.

Capital C......

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

Lankford hasn't played receiver in some time. So no. I don't think so. From all accounts players love playing for MOS. Yeah those big time FA receivers wont come cuz rookies weren't starters. 

U say this and ignore they started Charles Nelson last game so no.. No. Nope. 

That was about all they did with him though was just start him.

20 hours ago, J5V said:

In the last 5 years I'd argue that just about every team in the league has done better at finding receivers than we have. My question remains, why? The 3 teams you mentioned, yes certainly, but why? What are they doing that we aren't? Someone must have some insight into this. It is glaringly obvious to me that something isn't working right or is broken and hasn't been fixed in 5 years. That needs to change, IMO.

Part of the issue is that it’s difficult to develop players when you only have 3 skilled positions reserved for Americans on offence.  We’ve even been using a starting DB as our main returner.  

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

Part of the issue is that it’s difficult to develop players when you only have 3 skilled positions reserved for Americans on offence.  We’ve even been using a starting DB as our main returner.  

I don’t know. I find that most teams go with 2 American OTs, which leaves them with 1 or 2 Canadian receivers starting. I mean no one else starts a national at RB and defensive linemen are American more often than not. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I don’t know. I find that most teams go with 2 American OTs, which leaves them with 1 or 2 Canadian receivers starting. I mean no one else starts a national at RB and defensive linemen are American more often than not. 

True. But other teams at least have a designated import on offense.  It seems like Winnipeg has been trying to give Hall as much to work with as possible and giving scraps to Lapo knowing that he’d still find a way to produce points. 

A lot of good cfl players have started as kick returners and developing into elite offensive players.  Brandon Banks and Charles Roberts come immediately to mind. 

On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎21 at 9:56 PM, Colin Unger said:

I was thinking if he’s going to play another season he might as well play for a good team with a good running game.  If he’s willing to go to Montreal he might as well donate his brain to CTE research now. 

Some guys just can't leave the Game. The Game leaves them.

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

If we lose Bighill then Walters better start sending out resumes. That is a no brainer. It's not like we have to put money aside to sign Reilly or Mitchell. 

Correct me if I'm wrong , I read somewhere that Walters did indicate that he will throw at Biggie what ever it takes to resign him . But Now, it seems he wants to move back to BC ,as his family is still there. But IMO, resigning him is the top priority.

28 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

That's not how it works. He can't force a player to re-sign with the team. Bighill made it crystal clear he'll put his family first when it comes his future, anyway. That's out of a GM's hands.

he can't force him.....but it is the gm's job to convince the player that this is a great place to sign....I think is what flex is getting at...

2 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

he can't force him.....but it is the gm's job to convince the player that this is a great place to sign....I think is what flex is getting at...

Had you bothered to read the rest of the thread before chiming in, you'd have seen this part:

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If we lose Bighill then Walters better start sending out resumes.

Walters' job wouldn't be in jeopardy if Bighill chooses to sign elsewhere. That's not how it works. A GM can only do so much to convince a player, anyway. Look at Muamba as a perfect example of that reality.

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm sorry but it is. He's the GM. 

They actually outlawed indentured servitude several decades ago.   I supposed we could call someone to pay Bighill a visit and "make him an offer he can't refuse" but I would think that his motivation to play might be impacted a little.  Seriously, you need to take a step back and think a bit.  Not everyone will be affected solely by the dollars on the table.  If his family is happier in BC, then he might not want to play here any longer regardless how much more money we might offer.  

43 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

If he truly is putting his family first he will make hay while the sun shines.  Make the most money he can while he is able......then go onto his next stage of life in BC.   

If we offer 250k and BC offers 200K he might sign with us.  Or... he might decide that 50k is not worth it and take the lower offer because maybe he sees things differently than you do.  As weird as this sounds to a lot of people, it's not always about the money.