Needs for next year

blue85gold

Ideally I would like to see a Daniels or Mathews in the slot with Woli...Keep Adams doing what he is doing now as he would thrive there as the #2 guy and move Simonese out to boundary like we did with Woli...the guy would be a mismatch nightmare and in the chances he has been given albeit limited he makes plays...averaged  30 yards a catch..and even if you took out his one 53 yarder..still averaged 23...he has the prototypical boundary body type and skill set and with a year under his belt now...will turn some heads in camp...I wouldn't sell out to retain Demski if it goes that way but if he comes back at similar to what he made this year then that would be okay, and Peterman can back him up, thou not too sold on him yet...seems a bit inconsistent to me, and at times a bit lazy..or disinterested in the other aspects of the receiver role (blocking etc)  

If we could field a unit with Adams/Woli/(one of Mathewes/Daniels/MItchell/) Simonese and  Thompkins/Nelson I would be more than happy...even with that lineup I would be okay with one more year of Dressler in that spot on a value contract with one of Thomkins or Nelson backing up...unless we uncover our own stud.

I don't want 6 of our 7 nationals on offence this year unless 4 are lineman as it hurts us more than helps us I think with roster options....and to do that we have to either not resign Bryant, or let Hardrick go...both of which are stupid options...best case is to bring our oline back same as last year with Gray replacing Couture as the 6th until he can beat out Neufeld...unless he does it right out of TC...and even then..I would keep Neuf as the 6th guy as he can play anywhere..is good...and is relatively cheap for a starting national olineman with 7 years experience

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

I don't want 6 of our 7 nationals on offence this year unless 4 are lineman as it hurts us more than helps us I think with roster options....and to do that we have to either not resign Bryant, or let Hardrick go...both of which are stupid options...best case is to bring our oline back same as last year with Gray replacing Couture as the 6th until he can beat out Neufeld...unless he does it right out of TC...and even then..I would keep Neuf as the 6th guy as he can play anywhere..is good...and is relatively cheap for a starting national olineman with 7 years experience

I understand the 'Riders sold their souls to win the GC on home turf in 2013, but man, longer term did we ever get the better end of that deal.

8 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I understand the 'Riders sold their souls to win the GC on home turf in 2013, but man, longer term did we ever get the better end of that deal.

Couldn't agree more. He only played one more season in the CFL after that trade.

I also have to wonder, and this obviously would depend on how free agency goes vis a vis the O-line, but with the addition of Gray, does this make Neufeld potential trade bait for his former (and home province) team?

Yeah an upgrade at receiver is needed but more than that we gotta get an offensive coordinator who isn't afraid to try and win the damned ball game. 

In classic Lapo style he opted to let the defense try and win the game rather than trying to make it hard on the Stamps D. Seriously, you can not wait until under 5 minutes are left in the game to try and push the ball downfield. 

It felt exactly like watching the 2011 Grey Cup game. Defense doing their best to keep the thing in reach but the offense flat out refused to try and score. 

27 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It felt exactly like watching the 2011 Grey Cup game. Defense doing their best to keep the thing in reach but the offense flat out refused to try and score. 

More ridiculous twisting and turning in your ongoing vendetta against LaPolice. It wasn't remotely the same at all. LOL

The Lions dominated that game from start to finish. The Bombers added two late TDs with under 4 minutes left after the Lions let off taking a 31-9 lead midway through the fourth quarter.

Thanks for the morning laughs.

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

More ridiculous twisting and turning in your ongoing vendetta against LaPolice. It wasn't remotely the same at all. LOL

The Lions dominated that game from start to finish. The Bombers added two late TDs with under 4 minutes left after the Lions let off taking a 31-9 lead midway through the fourth quarter.

Thanks for the morning laughs.

And the Bombers kicked a 57 yard field goal and then another field goal in the first quarter and the stamps dominated the rest of the game. It was exactly the same kind of game. Ultra passive offensively waiting for the defense to win it, same as 2011. It's what Lapo does. For all the smarts the guy has he calls an absolute **** game most of the time. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

And the Bombers kicked a 57 yard field goal and then another field goal in the first quarter and the stamps dominated the rest of the game. It was exactly the same kind of game. Ultra passive offensively waiting for the defense to win it, same as 2011. It's what Lapo does. For all the smarts the guy has he calls an absolute **** game most of the time. 

The 2011 GC was nowhere the same. You're comparing apples and oranges and that Lions team outclassed that Bombers team when it really mattered.

The 2018 Bombers were in the WF almost to the finish. Was the offensive gameplan lousy this past Sunday? Yes. Were the Bombers blown of the water at any point in the game? No.

45 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah an upgrade at receiver is needed but more than that we gotta get an offensive coordinator who isn't afraid to try and win the damned ball game. 

In classic Lapo style he opted to let the defense try and win the game rather than trying to make it hard on the Stamps D. Seriously, you can not wait until under 5 minutes are left in the game to try and push the ball downfield. 

Exactly. We never attacked the defense. What happened to all the creative plays we practiced? We bring a quick kick returner on to the roster and start him at received and then don't run any plays to get the ball in his hands? The whole game felt like pound it with Harris on 1st down for 5-6 yards. Have all the receivers run 5 yards and turn around on 2nd. 

28 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

The 2011 GC was nowhere the same. You're comparing apples and oranges and that Lions team outclassed that Bombers team when it really mattered.

The 2018 Bombers were in the WF almost to the finish. Was the offensive gameplan lousy this past Sunday? Yes. Were the Bombers blown of the water at any point in the game? No.

In the game because the defense was ******* good. They got 2 points on a safety, they forced a turn over deep in our own end (which we promptly punted back) and kept giving the offense chance after chance after chance, which Lapo refused to take. That's how it's similar, not in the score, but in the fact that the offense had the exact same mentality. "Don't **** up and let the defense win the game for us" 

It's the reason we fired Lapo last time. Same **** different year. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

In the game because the defense was ******* good. They got 2 points on a safety, they forced a turn over deep in our own end (which we promptly punted back) and kept giving the offense chance after chance after chance, which Lapo refused to take. That's how it's similar, not in the score, but in the fact that the offense had the exact same mentality. "Don't **** up and let the defense win the game for us" 

The Bombers were close all game but never showed any signs of running away with the game. To take comfort that they were close is like saying that you almost had enough money for a cup of coffee but never did anything to get the extra few pennies to buy. I have my reservations about LaPolice but considering what he had to work with, he does not deserve the lion's share of blame.

13 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Well, that was the mantra of that entire 2011 season. The defense is what got that team to the big dance. The offense was mediocre at best and struggled often, especially when the defense had a bad game. Did you expect the GC to be any different, going up against a Lions' defense that was just as good, if not better at the time?

I'm making no excuses for LaPolice's gameplan in the WF on Sunday, but the parallel to a game seven years earlier is non-existent.

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Well, that is patently false.

48 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

but the parallel to a game seven years earlier is non-existent.

No the parallel is there. It was the same refusal to try and up the offensive game when it was clear that it was needed. Yes they're different teams in different places, but it was the same thing from Lapolice. I get it in 2011, but not this year, but he did the same thing. Expect the D to bail him out and hope that not making a mistake is enough to win. Doesn't work that way when you're playing top teams in the CFL. 

22 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I think we have to look long and hard at a few vets. Wild, ogopogo, nuefeld, and dressler. 

I'm not sure how anyone can have anything bad to say about Neufeld after the season he just had... played as well as Bond and played all 18 games... he's a Canadian making (reportedly) around 140k this year... I would guess about 8 other teams in the league would've loved to have had him in their lineup this year...

19 hours ago, Mark F said:

Not sure signing Bighill is going to be easy. 

My guess is it's Winnipeg or BC... hopefully Hervey screws it up again this off-season and he comes back here for a couple years...

and kept giving the offense chance after chance after chance, which Lapo refused to take. 

And yet not once during the game did I see Lapo run the ball, pass the ball, or make any blocks. 

I know your point is that Lapo called a bad game...I don't know if he did or didn't. But on a number of plays I could see open receivers which Nichols didn't see. Nichols gets locked in easily, especially when he scrambles...that's just what you get with Nichols.

5 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

And yet not once during the game did I see Lapo run the ball, pass the ball, or make any blocks. 

I know your point is that Lapo called a bad game...I don't know if he did or didn't. But on a number of plays I could see open receivers which Nichols didn't see. Nichols gets locked in easily, especially when he scrambles...that's just what you get with Nichols.

when he scrambled guys weren't open. Trust me I was in the stands I saw it, there is a reason he threw those balls away. It was a horsecrap passive gameplan and it's overly simplistic to blame the qb. 

when he scrambled guys weren't open. Trust me I was in the stands I saw it, there is a reason he threw those balls away. It was a horsecrap passive game plan and it's overly simplistic to blame the qb. 

Not true. I cannot speak for the whole game but can recall at least two instances where receivers were open and Nichols was (slowly) rolling towards his right. One in particular, Demski was wide open on the left about 12-15 yards downfield and Nichols tried to force it into Dressler (I think) who was triple covered. Nichols is not the worst starting QB in the league, but he is not the pivot who will seize the game and win when the rest of the offence is struggling. Streveler might be that quarterback, but he still has to make his bones.