Needs for next year

blue85gold

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

i would love it, if true, but I don't think either of those two has a hot clue what this team will do next year at SB. 

No chance Wolitarsky is still the Z rec next year. He is just too good. And to be fair, Bauming is actually fairly well connected to the team. I tend to believe him.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

No chance Wolitarsky is still the Z rec next year. He is just too good. And to be fair, Bauming is actually fairly well connected to the team. I tend to believe him.

I don't find him well connected at all. I find Hamilton much more reliable.

4 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

only point in making this move would be if we have a QB that can get it down field.   If they decide to stand pat with Nichols, is a deep threat really necessary?  Kind of like a rubber beek on a woodpecker!

I must admit, I have never heard that one before. Well done.

4 hours ago, Ripper said:

I kind of like Fogg.  He is inconsistent yes but makes some plays. I like him more as a backup and he is good on special teams

He has the heart that's for sure, and he's a ball hawk. There have been too many drives though this year where a receiver just absolutely manhandled him as the opposing team marched down the field...Most recently was the last home game against Calgary (by Matthews), and in that Ottawa game where they blew a 15 point lead.

42 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

He has the heart that's for sure, and he's a ball hawk. There have been too many drives though this year where a receiver just absolutely manhandled him as the opposing team marched down the field...Most recently was the last home game against Calgary (by Matthews), and in that Ottawa game where they blew a 15 point lead.

Honestly though...  defence was not the issue.  Winnipeg’s major area of concern is with the passing game.   Try and maintain what we had elsewhere and improve the passing game and we will be fine.   I don’t see us getting our hands on a better combo than we already have so we need to focus heavily on upgrading our receiving core. 

2 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Honestly though...  defence was not the issue.  Winnipeg’s major area of concern is with the passing game.   Try and maintain what we had elsewhere and improve the passing game and we will be fine.   I don’t see us getting our hands on a better combo than we already have so we need to focus heavily on upgrading our receiving core. 

Yeah... makes me wonder what could've been if we went after Matthews harder..

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

We need to go hard after Kamar Jordan or Devaris Daniels. And also pick up another up and comer with experience.  Like a Begalton or such. One receiver isn’t going to do it and you need to have depth. 

I like the size and upside of Dominique Rhymes finishing off his second year with Ottawa, he might be an over-shadowed sleeper on that team and probably won't cost much as long as he doesn't stand out this Sunday.  Young, big, good hands and adequately fast but not a blazer.

10 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I don't think so either. His family being from BC has me worried that that's where he's going.

As long as Hervey doesn't screw up again.  I don't think Bighill really wanted to play anywhere other than BC, just that Hervey was too dumb to find a way to fit him in.  Who knows though, they have a lot of linebackers and seem to want to make Herdman into a player.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

As long as Hervey doesn't screw up again.  I don't think Bighill really wanted to play anywhere other than BC, just that Hervey was too dumb to find a way to fit him in.  Who knows though, they have a lot of linebackers and seem to want to make Herdman into a player.

Herdman did pretty good considering how bad the rest of the team was and his inexperience.

11 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Interesting comments on receivers in this thread. It seems the possibility of 1 or  2 being unearthed in training camp is completely  off our radar. 

Well, the history of this regime finding INT receiver talent isn't exactly inspiring hope that this upcoming off-season will be an exception.

I'd rather see them go after a proven FA or two than roll the dice on unknowns yet again.

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Well, the history of this regime finding INT receiver talent isn't exactly inspiring hope that this upcoming off-season will be an exception.

I'd rather see them go after a proven FA or two than roll the dice on unknowns yet again.

Oh - that’s precisely what I meant with my comment. 

7 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I think we have to look long and hard at a few vets. Wild, ogopogo, nuefeld, and dressler. Id take dressler back in a reduced role at reduced pay in a heartbeat, but we can't rely on him. Randle has also seemed more and more mortal. I expect gray to nab nuefelds starting job next camp. I could see nevis being a cap casualty too, just due to money and the ratio. 

I like nelson as well. Quick and shifty. Id still like to see us recruit a few high up side return men though. 

In the cfl you never have enough weapons. id love for us to add a no1 wr. But im hoping we make better use of guys we have, in particular the nucks. 

I hope we keep bennett at qb3 as well. 

Never can have enough receivers.