Needs for next year

blue85gold

Assuming we re-sign our key FAs (Bighill, O-line, Harris), what do you see as our biggest needs for improvement next year? Two of the biggest for me are:

- Big time slotback that can go up and get it. Adams is a good weapon at WR but we need someone that can play inside. Love Dressler, but he's getting up there in age and shouldn't be the go to guy anymore.

- Return game - blocking and returner. Nelson looks like a keeper but I don't know what's up with our blocking. No one has had a chance back there.

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't know if they'll have money to spend on those positions after the sheer amount of FA we have to re-sign.... it'll be up to our recruiting to get those spots filled

Every team does too tough. With lots of FA means there is lots of money not tied up too.

16 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

We need a true number one receiver. Derel Walker or someone along those lines that would be perfect. 

only point in making this move would be if we have a QB that can get it down field.   If they decide to stand pat with Nichols, is a deep threat really necessary?  Kind of like a rubber beek on a woodpecker!

I can't take people seriously who will demand a change at QB, unless that change is Mike Reilly. The CFL is at all time low for QB quality, and I'd rather not wander the desert for a decade like we did pre Nichols thanks.

We need better people at receiver (Matthews would have been nice) and we need an upgrade on the defensive line.

Just now, White Out said:

I can't take people seriously who will demand a change at QB, unless that change is Mike Reilly. The CFL is at all time low for QB quality, and I'd rather not wander the desert for a decade like we did pre Nichols thanks.

We need better people at receiver (Matthews would have been nice) and we need an upgrade on the defensive line.

We been wandering the desert going on three decades straight.....

7 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

We been wandering the desert going on three decades straight.....

Can we debate the same thing? During that 3 decades we had Khari Jones and Milt Stegall, and one of the most prolific passing attacks in our league history. Kevin Glenn was a legit starter. I was specific about not wanting to wander the QB wasteland.

As a 38 year old man, believe me, I am painfully aware of our teams shortcomings championship wise. I would amputate a foot for a Grey Cup if I could.

1 minute ago, White Out said:

Can we debate the same thing? During that 3 decades we had Khari Jones and Milt Stegall, and one of the most prolific passing attacks in our league history. Kevin Glenn was a legit starter. I was specific about not wanting to wander the QB wasteland.

As a 38 year old man, believe me, I am painfully aware of our teams shortcomings championship wise. I would amputate a foot for a Grey Cup if I could.

Dang yer late with that one..... Santos-Knox needed a foot so he could play...

3 minutes ago, White Out said:

I somehow still have all my limbs.....

22 minutes ago, White Out said:

I didn't want to have to say it, but I'm going to....   we could have won that game yesterday with Kevin Glenn behind centre.   Insult me, call me crazy, whatever you want.... at least Glenn is a threat to go downfield.

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

An upgrade from Dressler to a dominant receiver that pushes Darvin to #2 on our depth chart.

A replacement for Chris Randle

A more steady, solid third import receiver (but this should ideally be a new recruit, to be honest)

A safety, since I’m going to assume Loffler leaves town 

well.... looking at Brandon Zylstra's stats, he's only played 1 game this season with 1 reception.  If he got cut, that would be the buy I'd love to see Walters throw some coin at!

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

An upgrade from Dressler to a dominant receiver that pushes Darvin to #2 on our depth chart.

A replacement for Chris Randle

A more steady, solid third import receiver (but this should ideally be a new recruit, to be honest)

A safety, since I’m going to assume Loffler leaves town 

I wouldn't be upset if we replaced Fogg too.

bonafide number one receiver and as been said...keep Adams..he would thrive as a number 2 and not have all deep focus on him...

agreed on a corner...though not necessarily at expense of Randle...but he has to earn his spot next year..he is signed for 2019 correct?

and we need an explosive returner who can play on offence..not some one trick pony DI ...

1 hour ago, do or die said:

1 go-to import receiver
1 shutdown corner back
1 explosive kick returner

Pretty much what I posted in another thread.

As much as it frustrates me to see passing  yards of 150-200 every game I agree with White Out that Nichols is our best bet.  I'm not even sure that the quarterback is the biggest problem.  You see a guy like Masoli that puts up big passing stats but when he's going against a good defense he makes terrible decisions.

I think we have to look long and hard at a few vets. Wild, ogopogo, nuefeld, and dressler. Id take dressler back in a reduced role at reduced pay in a heartbeat, but we can't rely on him. Randle has also seemed more and more mortal. I expect gray to nab nuefelds starting job next camp. I could see nevis being a cap casualty too, just due to money and the ratio. 

I like nelson as well. Quick and shifty. Id still like to see us recruit a few high up side return men though. 

In the cfl you never have enough weapons. id love for us to add a no1 wr. But im hoping we make better use of guys we have, in particular the nucks. 

I hope we keep bennett at qb3 as well.