View from the stands

jazzsax

8 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't think we made a big push for Matthews. I think that the 'we're happy with the guys we've got' is what management actually believes, not just what they say to the media.

I don't think we had cap room left. Plus, Matthews knew he would start right away in Calgary. 

12 hours ago, J5V said:

Don't you find it odd that Matthews, a one-time Bomber, couldn't be enticed to come back to Winnipeg? We could have used a big-bodied receiver like that. It might have meant the difference between success and failure. We are supposed to be the place where all players want to go now because of the culture here. So what happened? In 5 years all we've managed is Dressler.

So many confusing things about this post.... so because we didn't sign Matthews, that means Winnipeg is not actually a desirable destination??... Dressler is the only free agent we've singed in 5 years???

Much like Dervin from the War Amps video I'm sure all of the Import receivers they've brought in can "run", "jump" and probably "catch the ball" when thrown their way.  The problem is this position has been chronically underused in LaPo's game-plan for years and the role is reduced to a secondary support position when it needs to be a primary position of attack.  Until Nichols starts distributing the ball more equitably and habitually targets this receiver 4-6 times per game it's very difficult to determine whether a receiver like Thomkins skill level is actually inadequate.  From observation I would guess that he's got all the tools but is rarely called upon to use them.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Much like Dervin from the War Amps video I'm sure all of the Import receivers they've brought in can "run", "jump" and probably "catch the ball" when thrown their way.  The problem is this position has been chronically underused in LaPo's game-plan for years and the role is reduced to a secondary support position when it needs to be a primary position of attack.  Until Nichols starts distributing the ball more equitably and habitually targets this receiver 4-6 times per game it's very difficult to determine whether a receiver like Thomkins skill level is actually inadequate.  From observation I would guess that he's got all the tools but is rarely called upon to use them.

Funny how earlier in the year his game plan had far more passing. Lots of Demski, Wolitarsky, Dressler, Adams.... seems later in the year we pulled away from the focus on the pass and more at slamming with Harris and screen plays 

Edited by jazzsax

15 minutes ago, jazzsax said:

Funny how earlier in the year his game plan had far more passing. Lots of Demski, Wolitarsky, Dressler, Adams.... seems later in the year we pulled away from the focus on the pass and more at slamming with Harris and screen plays 

I think that ties into Nichols comfort level, when he is comfortable he gets more confident and sees the field better, mainly because he has more time to do so.  Last Sunday he looked panicked, throwing the ball away once or twice is okay but he must have done it 5 or 6 times, which is unacceptable.

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

We love Dervin and his roar. Great analogy. :-)

Their defensive game plan was to make Nichols beat them with his arm. Every DC in the country knows if you take away Harris you can beat us with a relative degree of ease if the other 2 phases play well. It is a combination of Lapo and his play calling and Nichols inability to throw accurately consistently like say a Reilly or a mitchel or a Harris.